Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JV Hooker - Clay Co.
BAD NEWS FROM CLAY COUNTY... John Vernon Hooker out for the year with a torn ACL. No football or basketball for up to one year.
This is terrible news. Hooker is one of the most athletic players in this part of the state and his presence on the court/field will be deeply missed.
Wow that is a HUGE loss for Clay in football & basketball.
This kid is really talented, hope every thing turns out good for him in the future.
J.V. keep your spirits up and good things will come to you.
What grade is this young man in? Hopefully he is only a junior or sophomore.
bac2369 Wrote:What grade is this young man in? Hopefully he is only a junior or sophomore.

he is a junior
Thats good that he isnt a senior and has 1 more year to play.
He is an amazing athlete in both sports. I watched him dunk on us in the 8th grade then watched him blow by us last Friday night for a couple of touchdowns. My prayers go out to him for a speedy and full recovery!
This can be blamed on the coach. Down by 25 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th in a game that you've struggled to get first downs in. There was no reason for John Vernon to even be in the game. I feel sorry for the basketball team more than anything. They have a chance to be something special this year, and without JV its going to be a more difficult battle.
this is terrible new....wishes on a speedy recovery....i dont like to see any high school player get hurt even if they play for a rival school!
No disrespect to the football team but this is a huge loss for Spurlocks Basketball team.They had a chance of winning the 13th this season. Im glad JV isnt a senior. Good Luck Hooker on a speedy recovery!
A HUGE LOSS to the Clay County Athletics program..Get well JV..
Reminds me of Saturday. I went up to watch Tebow beat UK and was horrified to see him get knocked out. FL was up by 30 and the most valuable player in college was still in, still throwing, and paid a high price.
Hit and Run Wrote:This can be blamed on the coach. Down by 25 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th in a game that you've struggled to get first downs in. There was no reason for John Vernon to even be in the game. I feel sorry for the basketball team more than anything. They have a chance to be something special this year, and without JV its going to be a more difficult battle.

You can't blame a coach for a fluke injury and no coach is going to pull a kid and show the rest of the team that they have given up. Furthermore claim was driving and and coold have cut the lead to 9 at this point in the game.
As far as Clay basketball being something special, it is hard to be special when you can't score over 45 per game.
bearhunter Wrote:You can't blame a coach for a fluke injury and no coach is going to pull a kid and show the rest of the team that they have given up. Furthermore claim was driving and and coold have cut the lead to 9 at this point in the game.
As far as Clay basketball being something special, it is hard to be special when you can't score over 45 per game.

It was 33-8 with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Clay County could not get near 9 points from North Laurel.
Being a first year, young quarterback, he was needing as many snaps as possible in live game situations. With Spurlock as coach, there was no possibility of a special season. It just gives him another excuse.
Tiger nation hopes for a speedy recovery JV
Hit and Run: This statement that you made is crazy. No coach likes it when a kid gets hurt, unbelieveable.
Fan First and Hit and Run, I'd like to know your basis for saying that with Spurlock as coach, nothing special is going to happen for Clay Co. basketball? What has he done that is so bad? Tell me another person who would take a team with less talent than ANY Clay Co. team in their history, who wasn't even picked to finish .500 in his first 2 years, and picked to finish 3rd behind NL and Jackson those 2 years, and still win 20 games and win district? Regardless how how many points they score, they still WON!!!!! In the region, there have just been better teams they have faced. And they have been better teams, I don't care what anyone says. Cumberland was a better team, Corbin was a better team, and last season, SL just got lucky. It does take good luck, as well, to win in this game. Anyone remember Cumberland from 2003?

And Spurlock has done nothing but the best for his players. Whether it is raising money for their camps, or to have the best equipment and uniforms, etc., he has done it all for them. Seems to me that some of his players haven't played summer ball a few times, or quit the team for reasons, and he has still let them play, and one I know, start an entire season last season.

But, as I have always said, if you think you can do a better job, show your faces and come down and see if you can. Stop hiding behind a name on these forums and step up. My name is Cameron Hall, and some of you need to get a grip and support your team, which does include the coach. Or get an education and get into coaching, then we shall see what you can do. But, like on here, you'd probably rather sit up in your back row seat at the games and put out that negativity you're so good at.
Lets keep this thread civil.
Spurlock is a good coach, but everyone likes to exaggerate.
No one picked Clay to finish below .500.
Box Top Wrote:It was 33-8 with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Clay County could not get near 9 points from North Laurel.

It was 26 -8 , would have been 10 points, Clay was on North 15 or 20
And like I said any coach would have still had him in.
As for 5 minutes left, North scored 20 in the first 7 minutes because of turnovers and a couple big plays, if Clay scored and got an onside kick or turnover they would have been back in the game.
daredevil4life Wrote:Fan First and Hit and Run, I'd like to know your basis for saying that with Spurlock as coach, nothing special is going to happen for Clay Co. basketball? What has he done that is so bad? Tell me another person who would take a team with less talent than ANY Clay Co. team in their history, who wasn't even picked to finish .500 in his first 2 years, and picked to finish 3rd behind NL and Jackson those 2 years, and still win 20 games and win district? Regardless how how many points they score, they still WON!!!!! In the region, there have just been better teams they have faced. And they have been better teams, I don't care what anyone says. Cumberland was a better team, Corbin was a better team, and last season, SL just got lucky. It does take good luck, as well, to win in this game. Anyone remember Cumberland from 2003?

And Spurlock has done nothing but the best for his players. Whether it is raising money for their camps, or to have the best equipment and uniforms, etc., he has done it all for them. Seems to me that some of his players haven't played summer ball a few times, or quit the team for reasons, and he has still let them play, and one I know, start an entire season last season.

But, as I have always said, if you think you can do a better job, show your faces and come down and see if you can. Stop hiding behind a name on these forums and step up. My name is Cameron Hall, and some of you need to get a grip and support your team, which does include the coach. Or get an education and get into coaching, then we shall see what you can do. But, like on here, you'd probably rather sit up in your back row seat at the games and put out that negativity you're so good at.

:rockon::rockon::rockon: A left to the face and a right to the jaw and daredevil4life wins by knockout in the 1st round!!!! I like the spirit but we need to stay on topic.
J.V.'s Injury was purely fluke he planted to cut and the knee popped. No coach can be blamed for some crazy injury like this.

In the game of football its paramount that kids get in the weight room and pump iron, one must decide if this sport is for him. You can't just come to summer practice and suit up you've got to get your body ready for the war that is Mountain Football.
well best of luck and hope for a speedy recovery for ya JV......
Dirtdevel Hall, you should have kept your tag team partner Kevin Nash instead of picking up Milam. The last time I seen him fight was a two on one handicap match vs Forrest and Archer. Their was no knockout because evidently, the truth stings people like you all. All in good fun. Anyway, we all hope JV rehabs hard and comes back better than ever.
God Bless!!
By the way, my name is Oscar.............Oscar Myer.