Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 36 - Boone County 14
final
Bluebirds had their way with the Rebels
congrats to highlands
Highlands on Friday night once again proved its dominance on the Northern Kentucky football scene.

Next, the Bluebirds will try to enhance their image on a regional and national stage.

“It’s an exciting time,” said Highlands middle linebacker Brandon Roller. “To be a high school football player, and to have the kind of opportunity that we have, that’s special.”

• Photos: Bluebirds 36, Rebels 14

Highlands cruised to a 36-14 victory over Boone County at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, improving its record to 5-0 heading into next week’s nationally-televised home game against Cincinnati power St. Xavier.

The Bluebirds, playing without star running back Austin Collinsworth, led 36-7 at halftime. Highlands coach Dale Mueller wouldn’t disclose Collinsworth’s injury, but said it was minor and he will play against St. X.

“He could have played this week,” Mueller said.

Highlands didn’t appear to need him in the early going. The Bluebirds scored on their first five possessions utilizing an increasingly effective passing game. Senior quarterback Will Bardo threw a 58-yard touchdown pass to Nick Buten on the game’s third play from scrimmage.

After the Rebels evened the score on a 61-yard touchdown run from Charles Quainoo, the Bluebirds went back to work. Jordan Streeter gave Highlands the lead for good on a 34-yard touchdown pass. Bardo then hit John Drennan for a 47-yard touchdown pass.

“We’re just getting better and better each game,” said Bardo, who finished 10-of-21 passing for 245 yards and three touchdowns. “We’re really starting to connect on more passes. … We could have done more with (Collinsworth) in the game. But we still felt confident.”

Streeter and Tyler Fennell carried the running load in Collinsworth’s absence, combining for 118 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Buten finished with three catches for 93 yards and two touchdowns.

Boone County, which had limited opportunities in Highlands territory, came up short on one of its biggest possession of the game. Trailing 29-7 midway through the second quarter, the Rebels drove to the Highlands 3-yard line. On fourth-and-goal, Mark Snyder sacked Boone quarterback Nate Alford to end the threat.

“We had our chances and we missed them,” Boone County coach Rick Thompson. “Hopefully we can learn from it and grow from it and we move forward.”

Highlands responded with a 12-play scoring drive, its last of the game, during which it converted three third downs.

The Bluebirds outgained Boone County 396 yards to 286. Quainoo led the Rebels with 174 yards on 31 carries.

With the victory, Highlands extended its winning streak against in-state opponents to 32 games.

While the Bluebirds took care of business south of the river, St. Xavier was making its own statement just north. The Bombers, ranked No. 2 in the Enquirer city coaches’ poll, beat Louisville Trinity 43-13.

Trinity, which leads Kentucky in all-time state titles, trailed 43-0 at the half.

According to Roller, that was good news for the Bluebirds.

“We’d rather it be that way,” Roller said. “We want them to be the top dog when they come in here. We want them to be No. 1.”

This Friday’s game between St. Xavier and placeHighlands at David Cecil Memorial Stadium will be broadcast nationally by CBS College Sports Network (CSTV). The game time has been moved up to 6:30 p.m. to accommodate the broadcast.

Boone Co. 7 0 0 7 -- 14
Highlands 22 14 0 0 -- 36
H – Buten 58 pass from Bardo (Weinel kick)
BC—Quainoo 61 run (Palmateer kick)
H – Streeter 34 run (Weinel kick)
H – Drennan 7 pass from Bardo (Fennell run)
H – Fennell 25 run (Weinel kick)
H – Buten 27 pass from Bardo (Weinel kick)
BC – Brown 4 pass from Thompson (Palmateer kick)
Records: BC 1-3, H 5-0
No Collinsworth. Limited defense. BC controlled the ball in 2nd qtr. It was another aerial assault night. Bardo looked good apart from just a few overthrown balls. We had a couple of easy dropped passes as well. It seems that we will have to wait yet another week to see this offense open up and show their hand. Unfortunately, Dale and the Bluebirds are about to receive a lesson in Cincy football next week when X comes to town. The Bombers absolutely blasted Trinity by HALFTIME (42-0) tonight. Highlands defense will get exposed next week, Austin will get stuffed, Bardo will be forcing passes from a smothering defense, and the Bluebird fans will be devastated. I must say that I originally thought turnovers would decide this game. I have now come to the realization that Highlands is about to receive a complete shallacking with absolutely no excuses to be had....I hope next friday will be quick and that no Birds get hurt. Great game tonight. Go Highlands!
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:No Collinsworth. Limited defense. BC controlled the ball in 2nd qtr. It was another aerial assault night. Bardo looked good apart from just a few overthrown balls. We had a couple of easy dropped passes as well. It seems that we will have to wait yet another week to see this offense open up and show their hand. Unfortunately, Dale and the Bluebirds are about to receive a lesson in Cincy football next week when X comes to town. The Bombers absolutely blasted Trinity by HALFTIME (42-0) tonight. Highlands defense will get exposed next week, Austin will get stuffed, Bardo will be forcing passes from a smothering defense, and the Bluebird fans will be devastated. I must say that I originally thought turnovers would decide this game. I have now come to the realization that Highlands is about to receive a complete shallacking with absolutely no excuses to be had....I hope next friday will be quick and that no Birds get hurt. Great game tonight. Go Highlands!

Wow, I think we have a Bluebird hater. What a hoot, Highlands will be devastated? Highlands is about to receive a shellacking? What is your message here? You diss, then you finish with Go Highlands? It's hard to take this post as anything more than jealous drool!
I speak from my heart. It will get ugly in Ft. Thomas next week. However, My heart is with Highlands. And yes, this will be good for them....
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:No Collinsworth. Limited defense. BC controlled the ball in 2nd qtr. It was another aerial assault night. Bardo looked good apart from just a few overthrown balls. We had a couple of easy dropped passes as well. It seems that we will have to wait yet another week to see this offense open up and show their hand. Unfortunately, Dale and the Bluebirds are about to receive a lesson in Cincy football next week when X comes to town. The Bombers absolutely blasted Trinity by HALFTIME (42-0) tonight. Highlands defense will get exposed next week, Austin will get stuffed, Bardo will be forcing passes from a smothering defense, and the Bluebird fans will be devastated. I must say that I originally thought turnovers would decide this game. I have now come to the realization that Highlands is about to receive a complete shallacking with absolutely no excuses to be had....I hope next friday will be quick and that no Birds get hurt. Great game tonight. Go Highlands!

Highlands D will probably give up some big points on the board. But I do not believe you have seen their O play. They will not shut AC down, and HHS has a tremendous QB and WR's. I do think HHS will put some points on the board, but I also think they need to put BIG points on the board if they have any chance to win. I do not expect them to win, but also do not expect them to be embarrassed either.

They sat Collinsworth to rest him up for the game next week against Cincinnati St. X so he will be 100% and fresh. This game showed alot of improvement for the Birds than what they showed at the begiinning of the season. They offense put up all their points in the 1st half and the defense absolutely stuffed the Rebels. Highlands subs played the whole 2nd half and didn't to a bad job holding them to only 1 TD. Highlands could've scored 70 on the rebels tonight if they kept in everybody. Plus, if they play Collinsworth, this game might get worse...

Highlands played the subs the whole 2nd half when the game was in control so all their 1st teamers could get some rest and stay healthy/fresh for the big game next week. Yes Trinity got blasted tonight but they aren't' the same Trinity we have seen these past few years. They just lost too much last year and its hard for them to compete with a Cincy St. X team with twhat they had returning. They are still one of the better teams in the state but not like they were the past few years.

Louisville St. X played with Cincy St. X the whole game and only lost 24-7. They were right there the whole game. I believe it was 17-7 in the 4th quarter so they stilll had a chance of winning. I say this because I know Highlands can play with Louisville St. X and they can actually win the game as well. If Louisiville St. X can play with Cincy St. X then Highlands can as well. They may not win the game but they can play with them and they do have a chance of winning. I know they aren't favored to win the game and most likely won't but they are good enough to the point where they do have a chance to win the game.
I don't think you all get it. lol. He is a Highlands fan. But he is telling you, Highlands simply is outmatched next week. St. X is BIG. They are dominating, and Highlands hasn't seen anything like it and quite frankly they aren't on that level. Bardo will be throwing with pressure, the WRs' will have people with speed equal or better than theirs covering them, Austin IMO will be the only one in his league and will be fine. That being said, I think the offense may be okay. They won't score much, I'd be shocked if they get more than 14 to be honest since they only got 21 against Withrow, but it's their defense that will be the issue next week. This defense will get annihilated by St. X. This isn't putting Highlands down. They are obviously still heads and shoulders above any team in NKY right now. But they aren't on the level of St. X.
drizzy Wrote:I don't think you all get it. lol. He is a Highlands fan. But he is telling you, Highlands simply is outmatched next week. St. X is BIG. They are dominating, and Highlands hasn't seen anything like it and quite frankly they aren't on that level. Bardo will be throwing with pressure, the WRs' will have people with speed equal or better than theirs covering them, Austin IMO will be the only one in his league and will be fine. That being said, I think the offense may be okay. They won't score much, I'd be shocked if they get more than 14 to be honest since they only got 21 against Withrow, but it's their defense that will be the issue next week. This defense will get annihilated by St. X. This isn't putting Highlands down. They are obviously still heads and shoulders above any team in NKY right now. But they aren't on the level of St. X.

I agree pretty much with what you stated except I do think the birds put up more than 14.However, I agree that the defense is probably going to have a long night, and give up alot of points.
I have to agree. The streets of Ft. Thomas will run red next Friday, much as I hate to admit it. Good thing they dodged Simon Kenton.
Great crowd last night and student section was rocking. If they could get this type of atmosphere for every home game I think it would be great. Next week I expect the place to be packed like sardines.

My assessments of last night regarding both teams.

Boone Co- what happened to this program? I know that Ryle and Cooper have taken some talent out of the county but man they are having a rough year. Charles Q has awesome breakaway speed but man he tiptoes through the tulips too much and needs to just run hard. The passing game is non-existent once again at Boone Co and Rick Thompson needs to find a way to be more diverse or they will never get out of their district. You can bet the kids coming up through the Boone Co program who are athletic and might have a slight build to be a QB/WR are probably not going to want to be a Rebel. Their offense is specifically designed to run the ball 99% of the time.

Highlands-Bardo threw some nice balls and runs like a deer but one thing I did notice is it almost seems like he thinks he has more time than he should. He doesnt panic but almost looks to hold on to the ball a little too long. Maybe it is just his smoothness and calm demeanor but he will need to get the ball out of his hands quicker next week that is for sure.
Tyler Fennell is a freakin fireplug who has wheels and can catch it outof the backfield. He stays low to the ground and is tough to bring down. He had a great game last night as did Jordan Streeter. Streeter showed awesome acceleration when he had the ball. He better be very elusive next week against St. X because he is very thin and the LB'ers and DB's will be looking to lay some wood on him.

Overall a good game for the Birds, I thouight they could have named the score but got a lot of sophomores in the game and early.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I have to agree. The streets of Ft. Thomas will run red next Friday, much as I hate to admit it. Good thing they dodged Simon Kenton.

:lmao: Like it was stated in another thread, any day and any time Dale will take on all comers. Check next week's game vs. St. X. SK better lick their wounds from last night's loss and hope they can achieve another year of State Runner up.
The major deciding factor in next weeks game against St. X. will be whether or not the offensive line of Highlands will be able to protect Bardo. IMO, opposing defenses have breached the line and only Bardo's athleticism has gotten him out of trouble. There will be no 40-50 yd bombs to Buten next week simply b/c Bardo will be running for his life. I see the St. X. defense coming Blitzkrieg style. Short dump passes to AC or Tyler over the middle will earn the Birds much needed 1st downs to control the clock and keep the O on the field. We'll see some trickery on Dale's part as well to jump start the offense. That will be a sign that Dale is running out of answers to X's D. Bottom line is Highlands will be fighting for every yard gained. By the 4th quarter they will have run out of answers offensively. St. X will likely score on many of their offensive possesions and eventually run away with the game. Austin will have the most offensive output. We will see a completely different offensive gameplan from the Bluebirds with shorter gains that chip away the clock. Their current offensive strategy simply will not work against X.
Control the clock and the Birds will make it a close one. Use AC and his talent as a RB/receiver combo and we have a chance to keep it respectable.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The major deciding factor in next weeks game against St. X. will be whether or not the offensive line of Highlands will be able to protect Bardo. IMO, opposing defenses have breached the line and only Bardo's athleticism has gotten him out of trouble. There will be no 40-50 yd bombs to Buten next week simply b/c Bardo will be running for his life. I see the St. X. defense coming Blitzkrieg style. Short dump passes to AC or Tyler over the middle will earn the Birds much needed 1st downs to control the clock and keep the O on the field. We'll see some trickery on Dale's part as well to jump start the offense. That will be a sign that Dale is running out of answers to X's D. Bottom line is Highlands will be fighting for every yard gained. By the 4th quarter they will have run out of answers offensively. St. X will likely score on many of their offensive possesions and eventually run away with the game. Austin will have the most offensive output. We will see a completely different offensive gameplan from the Bluebirds with shorter gains that chip away the clock. Their current offensive strategy simply will not work against X.
Control the clock and the Birds will make it a close one. Use AC and his talent as a RB/receiver combo and we have a chance to keep it respectable.

I agree that Highlands does not want quick strike scores (although we will take them if given to us), but long clock chewing up drives. It will be fun to see what AC will do agianst them; hopefully the line can give him a few creases to hit.
It will be the Bardo/AC show next friday night. Look for them to figure in the bulk of the offensive totals in the form of middle screen pass plays and QB sideline scrambles.
qryche11 Wrote::lmao: Like it was stated in another thread, any day and any time Dale will take on all comers. Check next week's game vs. St. X. SK better lick their wounds from last night's loss and hope they can achieve another year of State Runner up.

Why doesn't Highlands play Trinity?
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:Why doesn't Highlands play Trinity?

They attempted to this year. Highlands had the last week of the season open and contacted Trinity . Trinity wanted to play them earlier in the season, not the last game. Hence, Highlands is playing Ryle twice now.