Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember 9/11
God Bless America.

Please don't let this get into a political discussion about who or what caused this to happen. Just Remember.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh_pvv1tUM"]YouTube - 9/11[/ame]
Just so it doesn't become a political discussion, I'm moving this to the Gen. Disc. forum.

I know we do this every year, but let's talk about where we were that day. It is certainly a day I will not forget.

I was in my 10th grade history class. We were doing some kind of assignment, so it was quiet in the classroom. Our teacher received a phone call and when he hung up the phone, told us a plane had crashed into the WTC. I think everyone, including the teacher, just assumed something small like a Cessna had crashed. A few minutes later the art teacher from across the hall came into our room and told us what had happened again. We still did not have the TV or knew what was going on.

One of the other teachers from down the hall finally came into the room and told us to turn the TV on. He was going room to room telling everyone this. We turned the TV on and saw the first hole in the building. We knew it wasn't a Cessna - a Cessna wouldn't make a hole that big. A few minutes later we saw the 2nd plane crash into the WTC. I don't think anyone spoke a word for the remaining 30 or so minutes in class.

At that point in the day, classes stopped. The bells still rang and we moved to our different class periods, but we did nothing that day except watch the coverage on TV. A few friends and I even cut our lunches short to go up to the library and continue watching the coverage.

There was a distinct fear throughout the school that day. Some would sit in silence, others would wonder aloud whether there would be more attacks, and others were assuring everyone that Pikeville surely wouldn't be a place terrorists would attack. It was a scary time because none of us had ever even considered that something like this could happen in the U.S.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was in 5th grade at the time and i remember we was at lunch when someone cam in and told us.
I was in 6th grade. We had a football game against Warfield that day. Me and my classmates where walking into the Adams Middle School library when we found out about the attacks. We watched live footage for the rest of the day. There where girls in my class crying thinking that the world was over and everything. Tough day.

It is most certainly a day I'll never forget.
I was working at Red Onion Supermax Prison pulling rec, when our building Sgt pulled us all out of the pods and told us to come into the Sgts office. He told us about the planes crashing into the WTC, the Pentagon and the flight 93..the four of us officers were in disbelief. The inmates in the three pods found out about it, and it was the quietest day we ever had at that place. We NEVER had quiet days. It was eery (sp?). We were all mad. Shocked. ****ed. It was unbelievable. Even now, when I see the footage from that day, its hard to believe that happened on our own turf..We should all remember the fire fighters, the police officers, the victims, and our soldiers that have given their lives for the safety of our country..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was in my 6th grade English class and my History teacher came in and told us what happened. They got us into the history teachers' class so we could watch. That's when I decided I was going to join the Army. It's amazing that the most deadliest month of the war in Afghanistan (August 09') was 8 years after the war started (October 01').
I was working in a psychiatric hospital working on a child/adolescent unit in Louisville at the time. I was scheduled to be off that day but I decided to work since we had a person recently quit and had not been replaced. I was working as a teachers assistant, covering the position for the person who had just quit. We were getting ready to start music. The music teacher and the other teacher, whose class combined with our class for music, came in and was talking about the twin towers being attacked. The teacher that I was working for let leave the classroom and see what was going on. I watched for about 5 minutes and I went back to the class thinking we had been attacked by another military. One child who was about 10 at the time was the only one who understood what us adults were talking about. The music teacher starting the music class like nothing was happening. The boy started crying and getting scared, started asking me questions. All the while the music class was continuing with songs such as "If your happy and know it". The boy kept asking me if his mother and father were going to be ok. I am trying to answer questions that I didn't know the answers to myself to keep him calm. I didn't know if Louisville was going to get attacked either. I remember walking around work in a daze. I do not really know many other details work that day. As I am driving home from work listening to the radio was when I really realized the magnitude of what had happened. As I was driving home to Shelbyville, I noticed the looks on peoples' faces. Everyone had blank stares, one of the most surreal times in my life.
I know this may sound twisted, one of the beautiful things that came out of 9/11 was that everyone looked at each other as an American. None of this Democrat/Republican or black/white issues. All Americans were united and felt pride about being a citizen of the United States of America. I really wish that we can have that feeling about our country all the time, not in a time of tragedy. I also wish that the firemen and policemen who risk their lives everyday to protect total strangers would looked upon with higher regards from the public (I am guilty too for not being appreciative enough). God Bless America
Golfing. Made the turn at Legendary Run in Cincinnati, went into the clubhouse and saw tower 1 on fire and it being referred to as an accident. As we were watching what was transpiring, the second plane hit. That's when we knew it was no accident. I had just stayed in the Marriott in WTC1 a few weeks before making a trip to our New York office directly across the street. At the time that I was there, we had staff in both WTC1 & 2. My first concern was whether we had anyone left in the buildings or if they had all move out. After about 90 minutes of watching, we went out in utter amazement and attempted to golf the back 9. We finished hole 10, drove on 11 and went stright out and picked up our balls from the fairway. We were completely distraught and at a loss.
I was working at helping to build the Federal Prison at Martin Co. Our foreman came and told our whole crew that we were under attack. There wasn't much work done that day, only a bunch of listening to the radio. I fly to and from Logan on a very regular basis, and it's still an eerie feeling walking through that airport knowing that the terrorists and dead walked those same places I do.

I am surprised that some of the posters that have posted in this thread are not near as old as I first thought.
I was on my way to work, actually pulling in to McDonalds drive through to get me some breakfast and listening to Bob and Tom on the radio. They were being very somber and serious and I couldn't tell if it was a joke or what.

I was actually driving my fathers truck because he was in the hospital in Huntington WV after having an anyeurysm (sp) burst in his brain. I went to work and that is when I found out for certain that the planes had hit the towers.

I also remember them having issues trying to life flight him to Cincinnatti because there was a restriction on any plane flight due to the attacks.

Man that was a trying time for our family.
TheRealVille Wrote:I was working at helping to build the Federal Prison at Martin Co. Our foreman came and told our whole crew that we were under attack. There wasn't much work done that day, only a bunch of listening to the radio. I fly to and from Logan on a very regular basis, and it's still an eerie feeling walking through that airport knowing that the terrorists and dead walked those same places I do.

I am surprised that some of the posters that have posted in this thread are not near as old as I first thought.

What do you mean? Did the terrorists take their flight lessons at the Logan Airport or something?

Yeah, hah, people think I'm alot older than I am too. I'm just 20.
I had worked all night at the store doing inventory. My mother in-law called me at around 10am. She said " It's awful isn't it?" I said " What's awful, I've been asleep?" She said " Turn on your TV".
5th grade during history lesson
I was living in Ohio and working the night shift for the railroad at the time. I had came in from work that morning at about 8. I eat some breakfast and took a shower and was in bed by 8:30 or 8:45. I woke back up about 4 that afternoon and took my dog out for a walk. I noticed the gas station up the street from me had cars lined up all the way around the block. I didnt pay any mind to it. I just thought they were having a big sale on Pepsi or something as they often did. After the dog did its buisness I went back in the house and flipped on the TV but wasnt really paying attention to it. I heard Dan rather talking about attacks on the WTC. I still was oblivious I just thought it was some retrospective show about when they were bombed in '93. Then I saw the footage of the planes hitting the Towers. I saw the towers falling. Still to this day I can see the images of those poor folks jumping out of the towers that were trapped. I then called my mother back in Pikeville and she told me about the Pentagon and about Flight 93. I called my wife at work and told her if one more plane hit a building we were heading back to the hills. I felt angry about the folks who died that didnt have to. I felt proud to be an American. But mostly I just prayed. I prayed for our country and the leaders of it. I prayed for the families who had lost loved ones. I prayed for our soldiers who I knew were going to war. I stayed glued to the TV the rest of that day until my wife got home and then we watched it together. Later on that night I went to work and everyone was just going through the motions. Ill never forget that day as long as I live. I hope none of us ever forget it. We took their best shot and while the Towers fell....America still stands. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

"Well put a boot in your @$$ its the Amercian way"-Toby Keith
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I was living in Ohio and working the night shift for the railroad at the time. I had came in from work that morning at about 8. I eat some breakfast and took a shower and was in bed by 8:30 or 8:45. I woke back up about 4 that afternoon and took my dog out for a walk. I noticed the gas station up the street from me had cars lined up all the way around the block. I didnt pay any mind to it. I just thought they were having a big sale on Pepsi or something as they often did. After the dog did its buisness I went back in the house and flipped on the TV but wasnt really paying attention to it. I heard Dan rather talking about attacks on the WTC. I still was oblivious I just thought it was some retrospective show about when they were bombed in '93. Then I saw the footage of the planes hitting the Towers. I saw the towers falling. Still to this day I can see the images of those poor folks jumping out of the towers that were trapped. I then called my mother back in Pikeville and she told me about the Pentagon and about Flight 93. I called my wife at work and told her if one more plane hit a building we were heading back to the hills. I felt angry about the folks who died that didnt have to. I felt proud to be an American. But mostly I just prayed. I prayed for our country and the leaders of it. I prayed for the families who had lost loved ones. I prayed for our soldiers who I knew were going to war. I stayed glued to the TV the rest of that day until my wife got home and then we watched it together. Later on that night I went to work and everyone was just going through the motions. Ill never forget that day as long as I live. I hope none of us ever forget it. We took their best shot and while the Towers fell....America still stands. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

"Well put a boot in your @$$ its the Amercian way"-Toby Keith

Great post!
I was in Cleveland with my family.... My dad was having open heart surgery and we were in the hotel getting ready to go see him when we turned on the news and watched as the 2nd plane struck.... We didnt think we were going to get in to see my dad because he was in the VA hospital there and they had made a statement that all government buildings were being closed...... God Bless all those that have lost family members during those events!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]