Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic 23 - Covington Catholic 17
Final! Bluegrass Bowl @ Lexington Catholic

Congrats LC
Cov Cath played well it looks like
MAJOR shocker!
Can you dig it? Wrote:MAJOR shocker!

This was not a major shocker at all. LexCath was most likely favored going into this game as it was and they ended up winning.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:This was not a major shocker at all. LexCath was most likely favored going into this game as it was and they ended up winning.

True, but I thought it would be worse. Maybe CovCath isn't as far off as some here in NKY think they are.
Can you dig it? Wrote:True, but I thought it would be worse. Maybe CovCath isn't as far off as some here in NKY think they are.

Yes, including me. I truly thought LC would win this bog. CCH is down, but maybe not out.
Lexington Catholic 23 Covington Catholic 17

Bluegrass Bowl
Covington Catholic 0 7 7 3 17

Lexington Catholic 2 14 0 7 23

Scoring summary:
LC--Safety, sack in end zone; CC--Braden Erpenbeck 5 run (Evan Talkers kick); LC--Ryne Least 11 pass from Nic Ward (Ward run); LC--Greg Raglin 52 run (kick failed); CC--Leo Schaffer 2 run (Talkers kick); LC--Raglin 4 run (Adam Bush kick); CC—Talkers 30 field goal.
Records: Lexington Catholic 2-0, Covington Catholic 0-2.

Kentucky.com
Sounded like a good game!!! Go L.C
Covcath is still far out. Apparently LexCath is just down. CovCath fans and players are starting to see key weaknesses that are going to plague them for a big part of the season..
drizzy Wrote:Covcath is still far out. Apparently LexCath is just down. CovCath fans and players are starting to see key weaknesses that are going to plague them for a big part of the season..
That sucks, I was hoping that it meant that there's some hope.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
If CovCath can compete the whole game with the #2 team in 4A in Lexington at LexCath's bowl game. I wouldn't say their out.
First off how can you say that the number 2 team in Class 4a is down.
And secondly what are these key weaknesses that will plague CovCath all year? Sure they have struggled the first two games and will struggle for a few more weeks in the regular season but they have a whole new coach, a whole new system, and 5 varsity starters injured right now.
This is coming from people who play for the team, who have kids on the team, and who witnessed the game. According to both sides, neither team looked good. With the exception of CovCaths' defense which looked better, everything look rough. QB has trouble passing and finding open recievers, is afraid to stay in the pocket, and ends up taking off too quick. Recievers can't catch the ball when it IS thrown on target. Special teams..is bad. Kickoff/punt defense..again..bad. Other team is consistently getting great field position. I did hear Schaeffer looked good which will help out the offense greatly. I don't actually care if CovCath does good or bad, I'm just telling you what people have who know all of this first hand have told me.
drizzy Wrote:This is coming from people who play for the team, who have kids on the team, and who witnessed the game. According to both sides, neither team looked good. With the exception of CovCaths' defense which looked better, everything look rough. QB has trouble passing and finding open recievers, is afraid to stay in the pocket, and ends up taking off too quick. Recievers can't catch the ball when it IS thrown on target. Special teams..is bad. Kickoff/punt defense..again..bad. Other team is consistently getting great field position. I did hear Schaeffer looked good which will help out the offense greatly. I don't actually care if CovCath does good or bad, I'm just telling you what people have who know all of this first hand have told me.

I've heard a lot of the same from CovCath parents and from people (who I think are knowledgeable football people) who have watched them play.

Based on what I observed in their game against Ryle, CovCath is still struggling. Granted it was the first game under a new coach and using a new system, so they may have improved dramatically in their second game but I doubt they improved that much. I do think a lot of the reason for the close score is the fact that LexCath, while maybe slightly better than last year, is only an average team this year. I expect Boyle to beat them handily.

I think CovCath is certainly on the right track and in a year or two will be back competing to win the state title. But it's not going to happen this year.
I've been a LexCath fan for quite a few years and the comment about the Knights being average right now is right on. I'm afraid that St. X will really expose that this weekend. I like to temper my concerns with thoughts like coach Letton teams tend to get out of the blocks slowly and hope that is the case now. There just doesn't seem to be much depth beyond the starters yet and I hate to think about what would happen if Raglin goes down with an injury. If we can avoid injury, I can see at best a two or three loss season going into the playoffs. Likely losses will be to Trinity and St. X and we have no better than a one in three chance of beating Boyle if we stay healthy.