Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nky 5a
Is putting Collinsworth at running back a good decision? He's got a lot of speed for a receiver, and he's pretty small for a football player (I've watched him a little bit when he was playing in a football game).
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Is putting Collinsworth at running back a good decision? He's got a lot of speed for a receiver, and he's pretty small for a football player (I've watched him a little bit when he was playing in a football game).

He's looking very good at RB. He actually played running back in Jr. football and his frosh year. He is having no problems with the shift back to a familiar position.

Also, he has added some muscle during the off season weight program. He did a little filling out this year.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Is putting Collinsworth at running back a good decision? He's got a lot of speed for a receiver, and he's pretty small for a football player (I've watched him a little bit when he was playing in a football game).

If you're used to watching E. Ky running backs like Fugate, Richardson, etc, I can see why you think Collinsworth is pretty small. Heck, Collinsworth is almost a giant compared to Crawford who was Highlands main running back last year after Conner went out with a broken leg. I think it may be a perspective thing.
^ he has more of the prototypical size that colleges are looking for at RB, to a RB in a FB body. Those kids tend to break down more at the next level.
Stardust Wrote:1. Highlands
2. Cov Cath
3. Dixie

http://kentuckypreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=974870

Is this the order that they think the teams will finish?

If so, do you think CovCath will finish ahead of Dixie?

I know CovCath has a very good new coach and the kids are once again enthusiastic about playing football, but I think with Dixie having something like 20 returning starting positions, that Dixie will be better than CovCath this year. Dixie in my opinion based on watching the classes comprising the squads over the years has a lot more talent than CovCath does. The question is: will Dixie's coaching staff be able to turn all that talent into wins? I don't think that Dixie's staff will be able to get as much out of it's talent that CovCath's staff will, but still think the talent differential is so great that Dixie will prevail over CovCath. It doesn't help CovCath that their best WR (Robinson) may be out for the year, and I think I read that another CovCath player (Wendling) re-tore his ACL and I assume will be out for the year.

Come playoff time, it becomes somewhat critical as to who comes in second and who comes in third.

What are your thoughts?
charlie22 Wrote:Is this the order that they think the teams will finish?

I know CovCath has a very good new coach and the kids are once again enthusiastic about playing football, but I think with Dixie having something like 20 returning starting positions, that Dixie will be better than CovCath this year. Dixie in my opinion based on watching the classes comprising the squads over the years has a lot more talent than CovCath does. The question is: will Dixie's coaching staff be able to turn all that talent into wins? I don't think that Dixie's staff will be able to get as much out of it's talent that CovCath's staff will, but still think the talent differential is so great that Dixie will prevail over CovCath. It doesn't help CovCath that their best WR (Robinson) may be out for the year, and I think I read that another CovCath player (Wendling) re-tore his ACL and I assume will be out for the year.

Come playoff time, it becomes somewhat critical as to who comes in second and who comes in third.

What are your thoughts?

According to what you said, I would think Dixie would place ahead of Covington Catholic. I personally think people are ranking Covington Catholic above Dixie because Covington Catholic is traditionally stronger. I'm with Charlie22, I think this will be the odd year in which Dixie will be better than Covington Catholic.

I'm looking at their schedule, and both have pretty hard schedules. Covington Catholic is facing St. Xavier, Campbell County, and Lexington Catholic. Dixie Heights is facing Simon Kenton and Boone County. Both are facing a bunch of other tough schools, such as Beechwood, Newport Central Catholic, Ryle, Scott, and Highlands. I would take Dixie Heights of having a slightly easier schedule, and therefore more wins.
charlie22 Wrote:Is this the order that they think the teams will finish?

What are your thoughts?

It's there Pre-Season rankings. IMO, Scott may be equal to CCH this year. No knock on the Colonels, but this will be a tough year for them and Scott actually has a few decent players this year. The Camels will scrimmage Scott next Friday, so I'll have a little better feel. But, to answer your comment, no way will CCH be better than Dixie this year.
Scott, Dixie, and Covcath will all be playing for 2nd in the district behind Highlands.

I don't see any one of those 3 coming within 3 td's of the Birds.

After Highlands, I'd give Dixie the edge over both Covcath and Scott based on what all three squads return. Dixie really turned it up a notch late last season and I expect that to carry over to this year.

I'd say the district finishes like this:

1. Highlands
2. Dixie
3. Covcath
4. Scott
kywldcat01 Wrote:Scott, Dixie, and Covcath will all be playing for 2nd in the district behind Highlands.

I don't see any one of those 3 coming within 3 td's of the Birds.

After Highlands, I'd give Dixie the edge over both Covcath and Scott based on what all three squads return. Dixie really turned it up a notch late last season and I expect that to carry over to this year.

I'd say the district finishes like this:

1. Highlands
2. Dixie
3. Covcath
4. Scott

I don't see any of those three teams being within 3 TD's in the first 1/2.
Stardust Wrote:I don't see any of those three teams being within 3 TD's in the first 1/2.

I agree.
There is no way in the world Covcath will be 2nd. I'd say they'll be playing for 3rd or 4th. Highlands will be an obvious 1, but I hope someone knocks them down a notch..I'd really like to see Ryle take it to 'em..
Haha kentuckypreps is an absolute joke. C'mon... CovCath over Dixie????
drizzy Wrote:There is no way in the world Covcath will be 2nd. I'd say they'll be playing for 3rd or 4th. Highlands will be an obvious 1, but I hope someone knocks them down a notch..I'd really like to see Ryle take it to 'em..

:eyeroll: They've got two shots to do it, but it means nothing either way.
nkysportsblog Wrote:Haha kentuckypreps is an absolute joke. C'mon... CovCath over Dixie????

I agree. Not too likely, but Dixie is one of the great Jeckyll/Hyde teams of NKY football.
Can you dig it? Wrote::eyeroll: They've got two shots to do it, but it means nothing either way.

It doesn't mean nothing, it would mean something if any team beat them.
drizzy Wrote:There is no way in the world Covcath will be 2nd. I'd say they'll be playing for 3rd or 4th. Highlands will be an obvious 1, but I hope someone knocks them down a notch..I'd really like to see Ryle take it to 'em..

Very doubtful that happens. Highlands will beat Ryle by 4 or more scores.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I agree. Not too likely, but Dixie is one of the great Jeckyll/Hyde teams of NKY football.

Are they something like Bryan Station was last year?
1) HHS 2)Dixie
3)CovCath 4)Scott

Silver lining... they ALL make the playoffs
drizzy Wrote:It doesn't mean nothing, it would mean something if any team beat them.

I mean as far as district play. Ryle is 6A. Highlands is 5A.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Are they something like Bryan Station was last year?

No, never quite at that level. Bryan Station should have won that game, but the Birds are a pretty decent playoff team from an experience standpoint. Dixie rarely comes out with a red pepper charge like Station did. Highlands knows Dixie well enough that overlooking them would be very unlikely.
Dixie is a tough program to figure out. I thought they were at the point of making the next step up a few years back, but they took some steps back instead. They were really disappointing last year against Highlands.