Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best College Football Stadiums
1. Ohio Stadium, Ohio State University
Ohio Stadium is also known as The Horseshoe and is the home of the Buckeyes football team at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, United States. The stadium was added to the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service on March 22, 1974.

Ohio Stadium saw its largest crowd on October 25, 2008, with 105,711 fans in attendance for the Buckeyes' matchup against rivals, the Penn State Nittany Lions. Ohio State lost that game to the Nittany Lions by the score of 13-6. The game broke an attendance record set in a 2006 contest with Michigan by having three more fans in attendance.[10] Mel Kiper has stated that Ohio Stadium has the second-best atmosphere of any college venue, "second only to Penn State," and Beano Cook said, "There is nothing better than when the Ohio State Marching Band and the sousaphone player dots the 'i' for Script Ohio."

The crowd attending these home games is known for creating harsh and difficult environments for opponents. University of Iowa coach Hayden Fry complained after a 1985 loss that the fans were too loud for his quarterback, Chuck Long, to call plays and suggested sound meters be used to gauge the noise level, penalizing home teams if there was too much noise.

2. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, University of Florida
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field is better known as The Swamp. The stadium and the university are located in Gainesville, Florida. Regularly holding just over 90,000 fans per game, it is the 12th largest college football stadium by capacity.

The Swamp has acquired a reputation for being a very difficult place for opposing teams to play, and has regularly been ranked at or near the top of lists of top home field advantages and/or best game day experiences in college football.

One of the major reasons is the stadium's design. Originally built in a ravine, the playing surface is below ground level. Various expansions over the years have enclosed the playing area on all sides with steep stands, and further placed the fans are within a few feet of the action.

The enclosed playing area also enhances the effects of Gainesville's warm and humid fall climate. Game-day temperatures at field level have been known to exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit, creating a swamp-like atmosphere. This was the impetus for a University of Florida researcher Robert Cade to develop Gatorade as a way to combat dehydration.

3. Memorial Stadium, University of Nebraska
Memorial Stadium is located on the campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, just north of downtown Lincoln, Nebraska. It is the home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team.

The stadium holds an ongoing NCAA-record 297 consecutive sellout crowds; this streak began in 1962. When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln, a fact that is often used to point out Nebraska's devotion to Husker football. Because most fans wear red apparel, the stadium is often referred to as the "Sea of Red" on gamedays.

4. Neyland Stadium, University of Tennessee
Neyland Stadium is a sports stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. It serves primarily as the home of the Tennessee Volunteers football team. After 79 years and 16 expansion projects, Neyland Stadium now has an official capacity of 102,037 seats. This makes it the largest football stadium in the South, the fourth largest in the United States, and the seventh largest stadium in the world.

5. Tiger Stadium, LSU
Tiger Stadium or Death Valley is the home field of Louisiana State University. With a seating capacity of 92,400, it is the seventh largest on-campus college football stadium in the nation and third largest stadium in the SEC after Tennessee's Neyland Stadium and Georgia's Sanford Stadium. In terms of general population, Tiger Stadium would be the sixth-largest city in Louisiana for the seven home games each year.

Tiger Stadium is commonly referred to as "Death Valley," due to its high level of cheering during games. The original nickname of "deaf valley" was applied to the stadium, but over the years was misunderstood for "death valley." During a nationally televised game against Auburn in 2003, ESPN recorded a noise level of 119 decibels at certain points in the game. During the October 6, 2007 game against the University of Florida, CBS recorded 130 decibels, making Tiger Stadium the loudest stadium in all of college football.

The standard cheer among Tigers fans is "GEAUX TIGERS!" (pronounced "Go")--the spelling of "geaux" reflecting Louisiana's French roots. Fans also commonly taunt opposing players and fans by yelling "Tiger bait!" while waving and pointing their fingers at them in the same manner as Florida State University's "tomahawk chop".

6. Beaver Stadium, Penn State
7. Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame
8. Michigan Stadium, University of Michigan
9. Sanford Stadium, University of Georgia,
10. Doak Campbell Stadium, Florida State University
I have been to Ohio Stadium and Neyland. Both are awesome sites. Had a great time at both places.
I've been to Ohio Stadium, but none of the rest
I went to Neyland Stadium in 2002 and about had to whip 103,000 people wearing these hideous orange shirts Big Grin

IMO, of course other than Bama, my pick would go to LSU. That place is always ridiculous. Doesnt matter if they are playing Florida or Eastern Kentucky, place is always about to blow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I went to Neyland Stadium in 2002 and about had to whip 103,000 people wearing these hideous orange shirts Big Grin

When I was down there I had on my "GO BIG BLUE" shirt and was yelling C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS! over a PA system after the Gators beat the Vols... Needless to say I had 103,000 wanting to whip me...lol
Clemson, South Carolina.

Best stadium in America.

Undoubtedly THE best entrance in America. No need to argue anymore, fellows......

Howard's Rock, THE Hill, 89,000+ rocking the place, etc.?????

Enjoy -

P.S. You are welcome......
Well thank God Bama beat them 34-14 down there that year. I had a BALL!! I loathe no other like the Tennessee Volunteers. Always fun to see them struggle too, and I hate their fans. I hate Neyland Stadium. And Ive been down there and on the other end of the winning and losing stick, like in '06 when we got robbed 16-13. That wasnt fun. And those same 103,000 that I made fun of and almost had to whip in '02, well.....we wont go there. Its a tough subject and a sore spot with me. **** the Vols. **** THEM!
Amun-Ra Wrote:When I was down there I had on my "GO BIG BLUE" shirt and was yelling C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS! over a PA system after the Gators beat the Vols... Needless to say I had 103,000 wanting to whip me...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I vote the top spot to Beaver stadium. Tradition and pride. I even have a replica of it! Am i weird?
I will list my favorite stadiums I have been to:

SEC

1. The Swamp- Designed to be loud, loud, lod. Very unique stadium.

2. Bryant-Denny (Alabama)- The stadium itself is nothing too special, but the atmosphere, the history surrounding the stadium, the Bear Bryant Museum, and the hospitality make up for it.

3. Neyland Stadium (UT)- It's huge and even though the orange inside makes me want to vommit, it is still one of the most awe inspiring sights in football. The setting on the River is pretty col, as well as the fact Knoxville is the quintessenial college town.

4. Sanford Stadium (UGA)- The tailigate is awesome, stadium is loud, it is always sold out, but it lacks the aura and uniqueness of some of the other SEC venues.

5. Commonwealth Stadium (UK)- It takes travelling to other stadiums to appreciate what UK actually has. Not nearly the experience of other places, but it is a fantastic laid back tailgate, traffic is very manageable, and the Stadium itself offers good views and an overall nice venue.

6. Davis Wade Stadium (Miss State)- Tailgate is pretty nice, Starkville is a very small town which gives it an unique feel and makes it fun for going out after the game. The stadium itself is very dated, rarely sold out, the cowbells are annoying, but they do have an awesome jumbotron.

7. Bobby Dodd Stadium (Georgia Tech)- Stadium just has a wierd layout all around. Tailgates are odd because you are in downtown Atlanta with bums walking through, all the while tailgating with very intellectual people (there was a massive game of Trivia as we tailgated for the Thursday night Miami game). Traffic and parking is horrendous.

8. Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (UL)- Not a fan aesthetically, but there isn't a bad seat in the house and the parking is generally good and easy to navigate to. Bad setting though and the pink seats are a negative.

9. Joan C. Edwards Stadium (Marshall)- Nice setting (especially back when Marshall was winning), fun tailgate, decent seating. Big drawback is size and the excitement level just isn't there.

10. Vanderbilt Stadium (Vandy)- It's a dump, the visiting fans generally have more fans there than the Vandy fans, and the tailgating stinks.
I will be going to South Carolina, Auburn, and Clemson this season... I will reviuse once I attend those. My goal is to see a game in every SEC stadium in the next 5 years.
LSU is one of the loudest and most exciting stadiums to go to. Tennessee is also a lot of fun.
1.Florida
2.Oklahoma
3.Texas
4.USC
5.Georgia
6. Louisville
7.LSU
8.Ohio State
9.Michigan
10. Florida State
I would love to just once see "Touchdown Jesus"!
No love for Penn State's Beaver Stadium?
So would all the other ND fans Big Grin Weis will be out at the end of the year, so keep the faith Big Grin
Magnum PI Wrote:I would love to just once see "Touchdown Jesus"!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beaver Stadium- State College, Pa
DukeFan4life Wrote:1.Florida
2.Oklahoma
3.Texas
4.USC
5.Georgia
6. Louisville
7.LSU
8.Ohio State
9.Michigan
10. Florida State

One of these does not belong :thatsfunn

Seriously, pretty good list but UL wouldn't make a Top 30 list let alone a Top 10.
Magnum PI Wrote:I would love to just once see "Touchdown Jesus"!

Here you go...
And again...We went to the Notre Dame/Pitt game Nov. 1 last season...it is amazing!
DukeFan4life Wrote:1.Florida
2.Oklahoma
3.Texas
4.USC
5.Georgia
6. Louisville
7.LSU
8.Ohio State
9.Michigan
10. Florida State
You have got to be kidding me.... UofL's stadium, right now, is small and quiet unless there is a real big game in town. They are expanding the stadium on one side which will really make it nicer. I know this will sound biased but UK's is head and shoulders above Louisville's and even UK's isnt a top ten stadium.