Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maris Hovee
Has Maris Hovee transferred to Paintsville from June Buchanan.
Don't know about Paintsville but did see her playing summer games with Sheldon Clark.......
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Has Maris Hovee transferred to Paintsville from June Buchanan.

She was considering Paintsville, but heard that she decided to stay at June Buchanan. Paintsville looked pretty good this summer. If she transfers to Paintsville they will be one of the top 3 teams in the region.
I heard this from Knott County fans who will be disapointed hearing this news. They will have a hard time beating June Buchanan next year.
This is how rumors get started. She visited Paintsville last year and did not like it. This summer she played four games with Sheldon Clark at the Eastern Kentucky University team camp and then played two more with SC on the final day of the Pikeville College team camp. I know she enjoyed playing with the SC kids especially Carla Booth. If she come to SC, they would have the top point guard and post player not only in the mountains per perhaps the state. I mother has told some peop-le that Maris has been a group of girls since kindergarten and she wanted her to gradurate with those same girls so I don't see her going anywhere.
Friends are more important than basketball. She is making the right decision to stay at JBS.
Down and Out Wrote:This is how rumors get started. She visited Paintsville last year and did not like it. This summer she played four games with Sheldon Clark at the Eastern Kentucky University team camp and then played two more with SC on the final day of the Pikeville College team camp. I know she enjoyed playing with the SC kids especially Carla Booth. If she come to SC, they would have the top point guard and post player not only in the mountains per perhaps the state. I mother has told some peop-le that Maris has been a group of girls since kindergarten and she wanted her to gradurate with those same girls so I don't see her going anywhere.

UKisN1 Wrote:Friends are more important than basketball. She is making the right decision to stay at JBS.

Great poosts guys
I agree.
UKisN1 Wrote:Friends are more important than basketball. She is making the right decision to stay at JBS.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Friends are important but after you leave high school you will probably never see very many of those friends again. Everyone has
to do what is in their interest and what makes them happy. Anyone that holds that against a kid isn't very much of a friend anyway. If someone is truly your friend they will remain your friend and support decisions you make if that is truly what makes you happy and in your best interest. Everyone has different reasons for playing sports. Some just take it more serious than others. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I can't stand when people down a kid or family for making a decision to move to another school to try and better themselves. Most of the time when a kid moves it is because the administration at the school they are leaving could care less about the program they are leaving. When it comes right down to it you better look out for yourself because no one else will. I know this is sad to say but it is true.

Our school had 2 players come in this summer form another school. If this is what the family and the kids want it is a free country. It should not be held against.
Staying at JBS is not a "right" or "wrong" decision. It is Maris's decision. Paintsville is a competitive program but they are not a girls basketball "superpower." Sheldon Clark would be the better program at this time, but it rumored that Maris has family ties in Paintsville.
Friends are developed over time. She has spent the most time at JBS. No different than the decision that Garrison Collins made last year. It would be a big mistake for her to go to a school without the support she would receive at JBS.

Parental influence will have the biggest factor on where she goes.
Friends "HOGWASH". Go to Sheldon Clark Mariss and get out of the boondocks.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
warmachine Wrote:Friends "HOGWASH". Go to Sheldon Clark Mariss and get out of the boondocks.

I hate to inform you but Inez and Martin Co is the boondocks. It would be like going from Mayberry to Hooterville.
warmachine Wrote:Friends "HOGWASH". Go to Sheldon Clark Mariss and get out of the boondocks.
Obviously, you don't have any. Plus, Kentucky Geography isn't your strong suit.
Just kidding! Hey, SC would be very strong with her, but those kids have played together forever.
OrangenowBlue Wrote::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I hate to inform you but Inez and Martin Co is the boondocks. It would be like going from Mayberry to Hooterville.

Have you ever been to Martin County. Last time I looked Pippa Passes was up in a holler so please don't insult the Martin County people by calling it Hooterville. I have been to Martin County many times and always been treated well and as for where she should go I have seen the weekely paper over there and they cover the girls even in the summer. Does Knott County even have a paper so what kind of publicity will she get there. She is a very nice player and with a point guard like Booth she could really elevate her game . This thread is about the player, not where somewhere is located.
Down and Out Wrote:Have you ever been to Martin County. Last time I looked Pippa Passes was up in a holler so please don't insult the Martin County people by calling it Hooterville. I have been to Martin County many times and always been treated well and as for where she should go I have seen the weekely paper over there and they cover the girls even in the summer. Does Knott County even have a paper so what kind of publicity will she get there. She is a very nice player and with a point guard like Booth she could really elevate her game . This thread is about the player, not where somewhere is located.

Yes Knott County has a newspaper, also a RADIO STATION that covers 3 local schools (Primarily Knott Central), followed JBS to All-A state tournament, and a local cable access channel that carries a bunch of sports also! Yes, Pippa Passes is up a hollow, but a lot of Martin Co. folks have traveled that hollow to get a quality education from Alice Lloyd College. Maris will do good wherever she plays!
I would hate to see the 14 th lose her but good luckto you and your family!!!!!!!!!!!!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Staying at JBS is not a "right" or "wrong" decision. It is Maris's decision. Paintsville is a competitive program but they are not a girls basketball "superpower." Sheldon Clark would be the better program at this time, but it rumored that Maris has family ties in Paintsville.

Paintsville is building a strong girls basketball program and the schools academic record is second to none. I hear that academics is also something that is important to the Hovee family.
Down and Out Wrote:Have you ever been to Martin County. Last time I looked Pippa Passes was up in a holler so please don't insult the Martin County people by calling it Hooterville. I have been to Martin County many times and always been treated well and as for where she should go I have seen the weekely paper over there and they cover the girls even in the summer. Does Knott County even have a paper so what kind of publicity will she get there. She is a very nice player and with a point guard like Booth she could really elevate her game . This thread is about the player, not where somewhere is located.

I am in Martin County on a weekly basis and it is not impressive. Knott County doesn't have a weekely paper but they do have a weekly paper and it is The Troublesome Creek Times. Sheldon Clark does have a good basketball team but would they have enough basketballs to go around to make everyone happy.
any updates??
It appears she will be staying at JBS

Friends are definitely more important than basketball, and true friends understand a player should play where she wants to play, not where her friends want her to play. Being on opposite sides of the court won't kill a true friendship...it will only weed out the fair-weathered friends.
I agree, but if she wants to stay at JBS she should stay at JBS regardless if other people feel like a move would be better for her. It needs to be her choice, not Caney Creekers, Paintsvillians, or Martin Countians.
There is new rumors that Maris Hovee has left June Buchanan. Does anyone know if this is true and if she did, where is she going to school.
Apparently she is staying at JBS. Seems that she came to Sheldon Clark several times this summer to play and even led players on to believe that she would be transferring to SCHS. But she elected to stay where she is and now she can score all the points she wants . SC should win the 15th without her but it would have been nice to see how she would match up against Samanta Drake on Nelson County who SC plays in the Fast Lane Classic and also play in three high profile tournaments during the season. The exposure she would have gotten by playing at SC would have really raised her stock but I'm sure staying at JBS will provide her with all the exposure she needs. She is a fine player.
Down and Out Wrote:Apparently she is staying at JBS. Seems that she came to Sheldon Clark several times this summer to play and even led players on to believe that she would be transferring to SCHS. But she elected to stay where she is and now she can score all the points she wants . SC should win the 15th without her but it would have been nice to see how she would match up against Samanta Drake on Nelson County who SC plays in the Fast Lane Classic and also play in three high profile tournaments during the season. The exposure she would have gotten by playing at SC would have really raised her stock but I'm sure staying at JBS will provide her with all the exposure she needs. She is a fine player.

Thanks for the info.