Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer 47 - Lewis Co. 32 16th Region
Ashland Blazer 47
Lewis Co. 32
Lewis Co. 9 3 6 14 32

Ashland Blazer 13 9 14 11 47

16th Region at Morehead St.
Lewis Co. (18-9) -- Marth 5, Denton 7, Lykins 2, Liles 6, Perkins 6, Frye 2, Ruggles 2, Caskey 2.
Ashland Blazer (18-9) -- Wilcox 11, Dietrich 9, Farrow 2, Connor 16, Leaver 2, Gambill 2, Hanners
http://www.kentucky.com
Congrats Ashland!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Nice job girls! Now take care of Rowan on Thursday. Did Kim Strait play tonight? I did not notice her name in the box scores.
Nice job girls! Keep it up.
Very disapointing ending to the lady lions season which was a record setting one with the most wins in school history girls and boys and also to the 6 seniors that will graduate they were a fantastic team to watch and had a wonderful career at LCHS!

Concrats Ashland!!
Great job Kittens!!! Kudos to Coach Holt and her team for a great season.
ukfootballrocks Wrote:Very disapointing ending to the lady lions season which was a record setting one with the most wins in school history girls and boys and also to the 6 seniors that will graduate they were a fantastic team to watch and had a wonderful career at LCHS!

Concrats Ashland!!

I agree, the Lewis Co. girls had a great season. Coach Holt has done a wonderful job with this group. They play hard, play together, and are a class act all around. Good luck to all of Lewis' seniors in the future.
Congratulations to the Kittens. I have to say I admired Lewis Co.s senior play all year. They have what it took to win , but simply could not throw it in the river in this one. The D played a small part in it, however they had many uncontested shots. They missed at least four layups in the first quarter that would have kept them close in this one.. Sad way to end , but Lewis had a very good season and nothing to hang their heads about.
devil's advocate Wrote:Congratulations to the Kittens. I have to say I admired Lewis Co.s senior play all year. They have what it took to win , but simply could not throw it in the river in this one. The D played a small part in it, however they had many uncontested shots. They missed at least four layups in the first quarter that would have kept them close in this one.. Sad way to end , but Lewis had a very good season and nothing to hang their heads about.

I agree that Lewis missed some layups in the first quarter, but you don't see many high school games (boys or girls) where this isn't the case at some point in the game. Ashland missed quite a few easy looks as well. IMO part of the reason Lewis missed the shots were that they were worried about Ashland's big center being in the paint. Also I thought Bradley had a good defensive gameplan by identifying Lewis' shooters and clogging the middle with his taller players. Bottom line - I thought that Ashland's half-court defense was a major factor in Lewis' poor shooting percentage.
Skip Pass Wrote:I agree that Lewis missed some layups in the first quarter, but you don't see many high school games (boys or girls) where this isn't the case at some point in the game. Ashland missed quite a few easy looks as well. IMO part of the reason Lewis missed the shots were that they were worried about Ashland's big center being in the paint. Also I thought Bradley had a good defensive gameplan by identifying Lewis' shooters and clogging the middle with his taller players. Bottom line - I thought that Ashland's half-court defense was a major factor in Lewis' poor shooting percentage.

Lewis did have trouble in the paint,going 11 for 30. The defence had little to do with their 3 for 30 from the 3 point line however, as most of their 3's were uncontested. The Kittens were 13 for 28 inside the 3 line, and only 25% from the 3 point line. Both teams didn't exactly burn it up. The major difference: The Kittens shot 16 freeebies, Lewis shot 2. So 11 of Ashlands points in their win came from the line and the other 4 points came in the paint. Lewis Co. only had 4 less points in the paint than Ashland.
3 for 30 from the 3pt line? Wow wondered if anyone thought it might have been time to change tacticts?

Anyways congrats to the Lady Lions on a very fine season.You gals made Lewis proud.
devil's advocate Wrote:Lewis did have trouble in the paint,going 11 for 30. The defence had little to do with their 3 for 30 from the 3 point line however, as most of their 3's were uncontested. The Kittens were 13 for 28 inside the 3 line, and only 25% from the 3 point line. Both teams didn't exactly burn it up. The major difference: The Kittens shot 16 freeebies, Lewis shot 2. So 11 of Ashlands points in their win came from the line and the other 4 points came in the paint. Lewis Co. only had 4 less points in the paint than Ashland.

The Kittens shot 40% overall for the game and during turney time this is not a bad shooting percentage for a girls game. Regarding the "uncontested" 3's for Lewis, I agree that many of them were not defended because Ashland wanted some of Lewis' players to shoot the 3 and they were defending against the drive. Seems to me that Bradley knew the Lewis players pretty well. When a senior laden and good 3-point shooting team team hits only 3 for 29 from outside and only shoots 24% overall it is not realistic to think that the defense had nothing to do with it. Even if some of Lewis' better shooters did get good looks from the outside they obviously were not in rythmn to shoot. That's what good defenses do.

As for the difference of free throws, Ashland's interior defense discouraged the drive and forced Lewis to shoot 3's. A team is not going to get fouled much if they don't get the ball inside (attributable to Ashland's good interior defense). Ashland did get the ball inside and got fouled ( a good offensive strategy). additionally, about 6 of Ashland 16 free throws came at the end of the game when Lewis had to foul. Ashland made the most of their trips to the line (12 of 16). Good free throw shooting wins tournament games.
Skip Pass Wrote:The Kittens shot 40% overall for the game and during turney time this is not a bad shooting percentage for a girls game. Regarding the "uncontested" 3's for Lewis, I agree that many of them were not defended because Ashland wanted some of Lewis' players to shoot the 3 and they were defending against the drive. Seems to me that Bradley knew the Lewis players pretty well. When a senior laden and good 3-point shooting team team hits only 3 for 29 from outside and only shoots 24% overall it is not realistic to think that the defense had nothing to do with it. Even if some of Lewis' better shooters did get good looks from the outside they obviously were not in rythmn to shoot. That's what good defenses do.

As for the difference of free throws, Ashland's interior defense discouraged the drive and forced Lewis to shoot 3's. A team is not going to get fouled much if they don't get the ball inside (attributable to Ashland's good interior defense). Ashland did get the ball inside and got fouled ( a good offensive strategy). additionally, about 6 of Ashland 16 free throws came at the end of the game when Lewis had to foul. Ashland made the most of their trips to the line (12 of 16). Good free throw shooting wins tournament games.
Your probably right , but I've seen Ashland go 2 for 18 , 2 for 26 and 0 for 8 from three point range against teams in the 16th while getting open looks , so it does happen.
Skip Pass Wrote:The Kittens shot 40% overall for the game and during turney time this is not a bad shooting percentage for a girls game. Regarding the "uncontested" 3's for Lewis, I agree that many of them were not defended because Ashland wanted some of Lewis' players to shoot the 3 and they were defending against the drive. Seems to me that Bradley knew the Lewis players pretty well. When a senior laden and good 3-point shooting team team hits only 3 for 29 from outside and only shoots 24% overall it is not realistic to think that the defense had nothing to do with it. Even if some of Lewis' better shooters did get good looks from the outside they obviously were not in rythmn to shoot. That's what good defenses do.

Are you an Ashland supporter?
Congrats Ashland
Pittsburgh Fish Wrote:Are you an Ashland supporter?

Does it matter?
Congrats Ashland Blazer.
Congrats Ashland Blazer!