Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Central Baseball
I was just a little interested in the history of the Allen Central High School baseball and here is what i found

(Year) (Overall W-L) (Conference W-L) (Region W-L)
2002 (12-12) ( 5-2) ( 7-5)
2003 (17-12) (8-1) (13-8)
2004 (14-14) (8-1) (9-10)
2005 (18-14) (7-2) (12-9)
2006 (23-11) (8-0) (16-6)
2007 (16-18) (8-0) (12-11)
2008 (10-16) (6-2) (8-9)

110-97 Overall Record
50-8 Conference Record
77-58 Region W-L

1982 58th District Champs
1983 58th District Runners-up
1984 58th District Runners- up
1988 58th District Runners-up
1989 58th District Runners-up
1990 58th District Champs
1994 58th District Champs
1995 58th District Runners-up
2000 58th District Runners-up
2001 58th District Champs
2002 58th District Champs
2003 58th District Champs
2004 58th District Runners-up
2005 58th District Champs
2006 58th District Champs
2007 58th District Champs
2008 58th District Champs

1984 15th Region Runners-up
1989 15th Region Runners-up
1994 15th Region Runners-up
2003 15th Region Champs

2005 15th Reigon All 'A' Classic Runners-up

2005 Wooden Bat Invitational Champions
The 84 team was probably the most talented team in school history, but just lacked coaching. The 2003 team had a lot of nice players that just got things going at tournament time and got some great pitching in the post season.
The 97 team also won a disctrict title and the 98 team had all kinds of talent but the season ending knee injury to Horne and the fact that Mike Pack wasnt able to fully recover from a car accident kept this team from making any kind of post season run.
Statistically, I think the 2006 was very good, maybe the best in school histroy (as far as statistics goes), but unfortunately for them, so was Sheldon Clark and Paintsville. The 2003 team just made one of those runs thanks to seniority and experience.

I'm like you, Knockoutking, I would love to know the histroy and past records of Allen Central baseball.
i think soemone could really turn that program around if they just started from the bottom feeder little leagues system and worked up. They have talent there.
Allen Central Middle School now has a baseball team. If my sources are correct in who is coaching- then that will make a HUGE impact on the high school program in a few years.
gotcha2 Wrote:Allen Central Middle School now has a baseball team. If my sources are correct in who is coaching- then that will make a HUGE impact on the high school program in a few years.

Who did they find to coach the middle schoolers? i heard neil allen was doing it.
My younger brother is playing for ACMS this spring and Ronnie Patton is the coach. Neil may be helping him, but Patton is the head coach. I really enjoyed playing under Patton at the high school. He is a great man and one thing I think he does really well is develops your talents. He sees your strengths as a player and puts you in situations that allows you to develop those talents even better. I think if the high school can get some stability at the coaching position and the middle school program continues with the team for a number of years with Patton at the helm, they could have a very solid program year in and year out.
Allen Central will be tough this year once again.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:My younger brother is playing for ACMS this spring and Ronnie Patton is the coach. Neil may be helping him, but Patton is the head coach. I really enjoyed playing under Patton at the high school. He is a great man and one thing I think he does really well is develops your talents. He sees your strengths as a player and puts you in situations that allows you to develop those talents even better. I think if the high school can get some stability at the coaching position and the middle school program continues with the team for a number of years with Patton at the helm, they could have a very solid program year in and year out.

Was Patton the coach in '03?
The Pope Wrote:Was Patton the coach in '03?

Yes. Patton coached AC to the 15th Region Championship and was "dismissed" a week later.
gotcha2 Wrote:Yes. Patton coached AC to the 15th Region Championship and was "dismissed" a week later.

why was he dismissed for. i mean he just won a district and regional title wtf?!?
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:why was he dismissed for. i mean he just won a district and regional title wtf?!?
Like everything else, it was all "political."
A few of the parents were complaining about Patton's son being an assistant during the 2002 season, and he brought him back for the '03 season. However, regardless of what took place, he should not have been "dismissed" the way he was. I was a freshman on the 2003 team, and I remember one practice he explained to me what he had planned for the next 3-4 years. He had a great vision of how the program was to be run and expectations for each and every player. I honestly believe he will do great things with the middle school team.
i always thought that he was going to really turn the program into a regional contender year in and year out. It appears that we have good coaches in the middle and high school levels... so hopefully allen central can get its talent to where it should have been several years ago..
Ronnie Patton was in the process of building a powerhouse at AC. He had a good coaching staff, and whatever anyone says about Byron (his son) he was the key to the team winning the region in 03 with his great pitch calling. But Sis Hall didnt want Byron back after the 02 season and she didnt like Greg Horne being on the staff either. Everyone talks about how the 03 team was senior dominated and they did have some great seniors but during their post-season run AC had an infield made up of 3 freshman and a sophomore.
I was a senior on the AC baseball team in 03.. Yes Patton done a great job and so did Greg Horne.. But to go and say the reason we won was because of Byrons pitching calling is hilarious.. Our catcher Dustin Hammonds that year changed alot of his pitch callings because all he wanted to throw was fastballs.. So you need to get your facts straight before you post something like that... Byron was a great coach as well but to say that is rediculous..
So Sis Hall fired Coach Patton.......
Is she the same person responsible for the exiting of Coach Johnny Martin??
If so, She is really keeping allen central's athletic department in tip-top shape!!!
Tubby Hater Wrote:Ronnie Patton was in the process of building a powerhouse at AC. He had a good coaching staff, and whatever anyone says about Byron (his son) he was the key to the team winning the region in 03 with his great pitch calling. But Sis Hall didnt want Byron back after the 02 season and she didnt like Greg Horne being on the staff either. Everyone talks about how the 03 team was senior dominated and they did have some great seniors but during their post-season run AC had an infield made up of 3 freshman and a sophomore.
Everyone does talk about the senior dominated lineup, but you're right, there was a lot of young talent getting playing time and each player contributed. Tyler Turner as a freshman played a solid third base. Nick Music, who later moved to centerfielder in his career, was a nice shortstop, and Justin Jacobs was a great second baseman for his entire career at AC. All of them were freshmen in 2003. And the sophomore you were referring to I assume was Ryan Hammonds? Coach Patton had a great thing going at AC until he was "let go."

As for the coaches, I personally never had a problem with Byron. Sometimes he would do some things that the players didn't like as far as the way he coached, but he was an intelligent person. And Greg is one of my favorite people. He's a great guy! I enjoy running into him every now and then and talking about baseball.
Like everything else, it was all "political."
A few of the parents were complaining about Patton's son being an assistant during the 2002 season, and he brought him back for the '03 season. However, regardless of what took place, he should not have been "dismissed" the way he was. I was a freshman on the 2003 team, and I remember one practice he explained to me what he had planned for the next 3-4 years. He had a great vision of how the program was to be run and expectations for each and every player. I honestly believe he will do great things with the middle school team.

Okay folks I'm new the site. I've been a blogger and poster for years on various UK and other national sports boards. It appears I'm a trial member for this site based on my first 5 posts. It's very possible that nobody will ever see this but I hopt they do because it needs to be said. First,I'm an AC alum and was a member of many varsity sports teams during my time at AC. However, baseball has always been my passion and it was my passion when I was at AC. Naturally, when I registered for this site I was curious to see if any conversation had or was taking place about AC baseball. I must say I was quite shocked. I have spent the better part of the last two hours reading through the threads concerning the subject. During that time, one main theme and or person continues to reappear. That person would be Ronnie Patton! Most notably his firing after winning the 2003, 15th region championship.(only one in school history) I know both Ronnie and Byron(son) on a fairly personal level. I wouldn't say we are best friends but we do speak when we see each other. In my personal dealings with them I would say they are both fine people. I know for a fact that at the end of the 2002 AC baseball season Ronnie Patton was never given an ultimatum requiring him to fire his son as an assisstant coach or he wouldn't be back for the 2003 sesaon. Think about that for a second! I know Ronnie Patton and his son have a very close relationship and that relationship has centered largely around sports. Does anyone really think that Ronnie Patton would fire his son in order to continue coaching the AC baseball team? The fact is that direction or order was never given. It was completely mythical from the beginning. Byron(Son) wasn't there for the beginning of practice in 2003 so the rumor mill apparently ran rampant. Byron was living in Lexington attending graduate school at UK working on his master's degree in history. When he was able to rearrange his school schedule he returned to the coaching staff. That was the plan from the beginning based on my "inside sources." When practiced started in 2003 the "he said she said" game began and invloved into total falsehood. Ronnie Patton was not being some type of renagade and going above and beyond his principal/boss and bringing his son back to the coaching staff in some type of defiant act after he agreed to fire him. I've seen several people comment on the fact that he defied his boss and that is just not true. Yes, parents did complain about Byron from what I've been told. It seems most of the complaints centered around his intensity and his demands upon the kids. However, that coaching staff achieved results that the school had never achieved before. That fact can't be denied. Just based on my reading of this and other threads it really sounds like a group of parents who wanted to be in control. If anything they appeared to be upset because someone required them to give 100 percent effort. In conculsion, it doesn't matter if you like Ronnie or Byron that is the least of my concern and I'm sure they could care less as well. I felt like this rant needed to be made because of the simple obsurdity of the rumors as too why Ronnie Patton got fired. For any of you that have son's would you fire your son just to keep a high school baseball coaching job. On another note, Sis Hall is no longer the principal at AC. I wonder if Coach Patton and Coach Martin make triumphant returns in the near future.
Joneslab Wrote:Like everything else, it was all "political."

Okay folks I'm new the site. I've been a blogger and poster for years on various UK and other national sports boards. It appears I'm a trial member for this site based on my first 5 posts. It's very possible that nobody will ever see this but I hopt they do because it needs to be said. First,I'm an AC alum and was a member of many varsity sports teams during my time at AC. However, baseball has always been my passion and it was my passion when I was at AC. Naturally, when I registered for this site I was curious to see if any conversation had or was taking place about AC baseball. I must say I was quite shocked. I have spent the better part of the last two hours reading through the threads concerning the subject. During that time, one main theme and or person continues to reappear. That person would be Ronnie Patton! Most notably his firing after winning the 2003, 15th region championship.(only one in school history) I know both Ronnie and Byron(son) on a fairly personal level. I wouldn't say we are best friends but we do speak when we see each other. In my personal dealings with them I would say they are both fine people. I know for a fact that at the end of the 2002 AC baseball season Ronnie Patton was never given an ultimatum requiring him to fire his son as an assisstant coach or he wouldn't be back for the 2003 sesaon. Think about that for a second! I know Ronnie Patton and his son have a very close relationship and that relationship has centered largely around sports. Does anyone really think that Ronnie Patton would fire his son in order to continue coaching the AC baseball team? The fact is that direction or order was never given. It was completely mythical from the beginning. Byron(Son) wasn't there for the beginning of practice in 2003 so the rumor mill apparently ran rampant. Byron was living in Lexington attending graduate school at UK working on his master's degree in history. When he was able to rearrange his school schedule he returned to the coaching staff. That was the plan from the beginning based on my "inside sources." When practiced started in 2003 the "he said she said" game began and invloved into total falsehood. Ronnie Patton was not being some type of renagade and going above and beyond his principal/boss and bringing his son back to the coaching staff in some type of defiant act after he agreed to fire him. I've seen several people comment on the fact that he defied his boss and that is just not true. Yes, parents did complain about Byron from what I've been told. It seems most of the complaints centered around his intensity and his demands upon the kids. However, that coaching staff achieved results that the school had never achieved before. That fact can't be denied. Just based on my reading of this and other threads it really sounds like a group of parents who wanted to be in control. If anything they appeared to be upset because someone required them to give 100 percent effort. In conculsion, it doesn't matter if you like Ronnie or Byron that is the least of my concern and I'm sure they could care less as well. I felt like this rant needed to be made because of the simple obsurdity of the rumors as too why Ronnie Patton got fired. For any of you that have son's would you fire your son just to keep a high school baseball coaching job. On another note, Sis Hall is no longer the principal at AC. I wonder if Coach Patton and Coach Martin make triumphant returns in the near future.

Great post, very informative and I see no reason for anybody to suspend you. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree Patton had the program on a path they had never been on and always wondered how they justified his firing. Could it be that the baseball team was more successful than football and basketball? I know a lot of schools dont care anything about the sport of baseball and I think it is a shame.
I am very glad that data and positive feelings about AC have been posted. As we all know basketball and football have assumed primary status in most areas of Eastern Ky. This is especially distressing if you have data about the old Era of Semi-Pro teams that existed in just about every community in East Ky.They all had a team of their own and I can assure you that the people were positively possessive of them. Most teams were supported by the various coal companies in the area and a lot of players worked in the mines and played baseball. Such names as Tootsie Hall, Woody Fryman,Tucker Daniels,Bob Daniels, Danny Blevins,Mike Collins,Bob Lyons, Clyde Ratliff,Mo Mollett and many many others played the game in the Paintsville area where the State Semi Pro Tournement was held quite often.The most important name associated in the Paintsville area was Ford Ferguson. As a 10 year old kid I can remember a greyhound bus arriveing at the Paintsville field carrying a team sponsored by Frisch's, Restruant. The first player off the bus was a real big black man who was looking at the field.He made a comment that it was a real nice field but that somebody had put a swimming pool right in the middle of left field. He was a left handed batter and his first time up he took a ball to left field that was raising when it crossed the pool,hitting somewhere in a garden belonging to a person across the street. Someone asked who the black ball player was The response was that it was somebody by the name of Bill White.
Looks like they have had a good record but when you play "Phelps and Pike Central and Magoffin" -- teams like that over and over how can you not?

Seems like a wasted thread to me.
doomsday Wrote:Looks like they have had a good record but when you play "Phelps and Pike Central and Magoffin" -- teams like that over and over how can you not?

Seems like a wasted thread to me.

Why you gotta hate? What's the point.