Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell Co. Clearing gym after each game
Are they trying to make a dollar or is the gym to small to hold fans for 4 teams?? Just heard on the call in show on WSGS that they are clearing the gym after the 1st game In other words, you have to pay 2x if you plan on watching both games!!! THIS IS A RIP OFF !!!
If they do this I hope that a lot of fans stay home.
10th region has done this for years.
KyGurl Wrote:Are they trying to make a dollar or is the gym to small to hold fans for 4 teams?? Just heard on the call in show on WSGS that they are clearing the gym after the 1st game In other words, you have to pay 2x if you plan on watching both games!!! THIS IS A RIP OFF !!!

Letcher did the same thing 2 years ago, but if you went to the first game, you could be stamped so you could get into the next game free.

Powell does not have the facilities to host the boys regional tournament, it is going to be awful. They could barely hold the girls last year!

The only schools in the 14th region that have suitable facilities for hosting the Boys region tournament in terms if gym size and parking are KCC, PCC, and LCC. I doubt Hazard will ever be able to host the tournament again due to NO parking. KCC has the biggest gym in the 14th and has been filled to capacity during several regional match ups this season - so it's going to be a sight to see how many people will come out for the 14th this year.

we will all be packed like sardines.
you just about have to clear the gym when you have this many fans and a smaller gym. all the teams fans should be able to watch thier teams play. the idea LCC had of stamping hands is a good one. You shouldnt have to pay twice if they are forcing you to leave.
PATS2011 Wrote:Letcher did the same thing 2 years ago, but if you went to the first game, you could be stamped so you could get into the next game free.

If you paid for the first game and could get back into the second game, then what was the point of clearing out the gym? I'm confused.

In the 59th/15th, if you sit in reserved seating for your game then after it is over and you want to stay, just move to the general admission seats and vice versa. That's just how we do it.

PATS2011 Wrote:Letcher did the same thing 2 years ago, but if you went to the first game, you could be stamped so you could get into the next game free.

Powell does not have the facilities to host the boys regional tournament, it is going to be awful. They could barely hold the girls last year!

The only schools in the 14th region that have suitable facilities for hosting the Boys region tournament in terms if gym size and parking are KCC, PCC, and LCC. I doubt Hazard will ever be able to host the tournament again due to NO parking. KCC has the biggest gym in the 14th and has been filled to capacity during several regional match ups this season - so it's going to be a sight to see how many people will come out for the 14th this year.

Breathitt can hold em too.
If you can't hold the fans you shouldn't be allowed to host it.
that a rip off
At Letcher you could pay for both games when you went in but you still had to go out after the first game and then go back in. It was a mess.
Been to regionals that have done this before and it is a joke!!
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Breathitt can hold em too.

Breathitt doesn't have the parking to accomodate the crowds either, not as bad as Hazard, but pretty bad.
If they are going to start doing this for all the 14th region games, they can host pretty much everywhere. Totally ridiculous though. Hold it at either Perry or Knott and leave everyone in the gym to enjoy the games. They need to come up with a better solution than sending everyone outside to have to come back in. After driving almost 2 hours to get there and watching a game then having to walk out and back in to watch the 2nd will be a nightmare, just like it was at Letcher!
they used to do this @ Pikeville for the All "A"... I don't remember wanting to hang around... or maybe we were generally the 2nd game, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal. I have never been to Powell's gym... I have been to KCC, PCC and BCHS... all seem to have adequate room. PCC certainly has the parking... that place looks like a small college campus..
In the 12th region( Correct me if I am wrong), The Regional tourney is held only at 2 places: Lincoln Co and Pulaski Co.. There is no need to host a regional tourney at a Gym that you are going to have to clear out after the first game. Should be held at: PCC, KCC, and Breathitt Co..
I dont agree on having to pay twice to watch the games. I do believe Powell co has the seating to sit everyone. They have the fourth biggest gym in the region and they have plenty of parking.
If they do that then they should just start havin the district and region games in one central location that is big enough to accomadate up to 4 schools at one time. Some ppl like to watch other games beside the one they are there for and that is just takin advantage of ppl. If your school is not big enough to do this then I don't think you should even be considered as a host. They could have alot of games at the Expo in Pikeville or KCC can hold over 5000, but it should be at a central location. I don't know how many any of the other schools in the 14th hold I think they need to suggest somewhere else if its too small.
The school is big enough, Parking is great, and it was voted on. Powell wasnt the first and wont be the last

The only gyms in the region that are larger than Powell's are Knott and Perry. Breathitt and Powell are about equal in size. Powell seats at least 800 more than Letcher Central.

But I don't like the idea of emptying the gym after a 1st game. if a school has to do that then they shouldn't host the tournament. If Powell is going that route, then move it to Knott and Perry and leave it at those 2 schools.
TinyTalk Wrote:In the 12th region( Correct me if I am wrong), The Regional tourney is held only at 2 places: Lincoln Co and Pulaski Co.. There is no need to host a regional tourney at a Gym that you are going to have to clear out after the first game. Should be held at: PCC, KCC, and Breathitt Co..
Breathitt's not big enough either. They seat around 3500. And have terrible parking. Powell seats 3500 too, but at least you have somewhere to park.
Breathitt is the most centrally located school in the 14th.

Jackson - Irvine = 75 minutes
Jackson - Stanton = 45 min
Jakcson - Booneville = 45 min
Jackson - Beattyville = 30 min
Jackson - Campton = 25 min
Jackson - Hazard = 40 min
Jackson - Hyden -= 55 min
Jackson - Hindman = 55 min
Jackson - Whitesburg = 75 min

Parking at Breathitt is terrible though. Hazard's parking situation is probably among the worst in the state (of regional hosts).

KCC parking is bad too, and the bottleneck getting out is even worse. PCC and Powell have the best parking/exit accomodations.

Maybe Breathitt will tear down some of those old buildings in town and create more parking some day.
KyGurl Wrote:Are they trying to make a dollar or is the gym to small to hold fans for 4 teams?? Just heard on the call in show on WSGS that they are clearing the gym after the 1st game In other words, you have to pay 2x if you plan on watching both games!!! THIS IS A RIP OFF !!!

This has been going on for years in some districts. This gives all fans from each respective school the opportunity to support their team. If Powell doesn't have the facility then it should be considered somewhere else. It's not a rip-off....it's economics & practicality!
ARC Wrote:Breathitt is the most centrally located school in the 14th.

Jackson - Irvine = 75 minutes
Jackson - Stanton = 45 min
Jakcson - Booneville = 45 min
Jackson - Beattyville = 30 min
Jackson - Campton = 25 min
Jackson - Hazard = 40 min
Jackson - Hyden -= 55 min
Jackson - Hindman = 55 min
Jackson - Whitesburg = 75 min

Parking at Breathitt is terrible though. Hazard's parking situation is probably among the worst in the state (of regional hosts).

KCC parking is bad too, and the bottleneck getting out is even worse. PCC and Powell have the best parking/exit accomodations.

Maybe Breathitt will tear down some of those old buildings in town and create more parking some day.

Exiting wouldnt be half as bad if people would actually park in the parking spots. People are lazy and dont want to actually walk a little bit. If people actually parked in PARKING spots then everybody would get out just fine. :HitWall:
Powell county gym can hold over 3500 people. And parking is not an issue. We will have the middle school parking lot, because they have canceled every after school program the days of the tournament here. And we will have the main parking lot and the teachers parking lot on the other side of the school. Plus you have the gravel Parking Lot.and if you have to you could park in the old electric building parking lot. So i personally don't think that parking is an issue.
you also have the pool parking lot and people could park at the church across from the middle school as well...
Just to let all yall know this is only after the semi-final games.