Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for people in education or social workers.
I have a situation that I would like some help clarifying if anyone out there is in the know.

I have a son that has been struggling in school for many years and despite our pleas for help he has kind of went unnoticed until this year. We have had meeting with the counselor and his teachers and they have suggested that we take him and have tests ran on him for Dysgraphia.

We have taken him to the first round of testing and in the process of filling out the insurance paperwork the administrator of the test asked us why our insurance should have to pay. Also there was a social worker that says it is law in the state of Ky that if the school suggests testing for a student with difficulties that the school is responsible for the fees incurred.

Anyone have any more information?
You need search www.ked.org and look for something to do with children with learning disabilities...

You need to contact the director/coordinator of the special needs department of your school district. I work with special needs/disabilities and every test that I have EVER known that the school requests HAS been taken care of through the school system.

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Is this disability compromising his entire learning ability? If so, I can't believe that the principal has not made a recomendation to have your son tested. They do test to see if a child qualifies for special needs classes w/o cost involved. Depending on where your son attends there is a host of programs available. You need to check with your local health agencies to see what services are available to you. There is assistance available within the school system. I am simply perplexed that no one has given you some type of help or at least steer you a direction that will assist your son. Good luck in your quest.
TheBluesBoys Wrote:Is this disability compromising his entire learning ability? If so, I can't believe that the principal has not made a recomendation to have your son tested. They do test to see if a child qualifies for special needs classes w/o cost involved. Depending on where your son attends there is a host of programs available. You need to check with your local health agencies to see what services are available to you. There is assistance available within the school system. I am simply perplexed that no one has given you some type of help or at least steer you a direction that will assist your son. Good luck in your quest.

The disability is mild at best but it is hampering his learning ability.

They have finally, after 7 years of school, recommended him for testing.

He had his first round of testing this past Friday and the final testing on Monday. They are testing him for Dysgrapia.

What has started this is the fact that my wife has been told by several reliable sources that the school system should pay for the testing but we cannot find any documentation to support this and we have been told that the school system will not pay for this testing.
I personally know of an instant where the parents took their child to UK for testing and they had to foot the bill. I only know of limited testing within the school. What grade is your son in?
Here is you another website...

http://www.kde.state.ky.us/search/results.html?terms=&affiliateId=&cx=002259339780532511197%3A8do6a4vdyd0&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=Exceptional+Children+Testing%3F&sa=Go#1186

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]