Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (Jan. 2)
BGR's Boys Basketball Top 20 Jan. 2

1. Holmes
2. Scott County
3. Eastern
4. Elliott County
5. Bryan Station
6. Jeffersontown
7. Lexington Catholic
8. Ballard
9. Male
10. Trinity
(T) Clark County
12. Madison Central
13. Boone County
14. Pleasure Ridge Park
15. Franklin County
16. Anderson County
17. Mason County
18. Highlands
19. Shelby Valley
20. Moore
Hopefully, Elliott will be the one winning state this year, but the only one I think that can beat them would be Scott.
guyfawkes Wrote:Hopefully, Elliott will be the one winning state this year, but the only one I think that can beat them would be Scott.

You HONESTLY think that within this entire state of high school teams, only 1 team can beat Elliott county?
These rankings look as good as any published in my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:19. Shelby Valley

I don't think Shelby Valley should be #19. If you are considering the team with a healthy Elisha Justice, they are easily top 10 in the state. If you are talking about the team right now, with Elisha playing nowhere near 100%, then SV isn't anywhere close to the top 20.

Maybe #19 could be considered an average of the two rankings. Wink
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Before this turns into another mind numbing ramble by Elliott County and Shelby Valley fans. Here is a part Mike Fields article from todays Hearald Leader. No one from either team including the Faulkners or Justice are even mentioned. So it appears that the rest of the state and country do not share the same opinions as many of the members from those two schools.

"■ Recruiting guru Rick Bolus' latest ratings for top senior basketball players in the state: 1. Jon Hood, Madisonville; 2. Jacob Jenkins, Manual; 3. Vee Sanford, Lexington Catholic; 4. Eric Mosley, Moore; 5. C.J. Penny, Anderson County; 6. Wesley Cox, Ballard; 7. Greg Johnson, North Hardin; 8. Richie Phares, Scott County; 9. Darren Ballou, Adair County; 10. Jordan Reves, Jeffersontown; 11. Garrison Collins, June Buchanan; 12. Andrew Donovan, Franklin County. Top sleeper: Corey Jackson, Shawnee.

Bolus' top underclassmen: 1. Elijah Pittman, Holmes; 2. Chad Jackson, Scott County; 3. Aaron Cosby, J-town; 4. Dakotah Euton, Scott County; 5. Vinny Zollo, Clark County; 6. Ricardo Johnson, Holmes; 7 Ge-Lawn Guyn, Scott County; 8. George Fant, Warren Central; 9. Shaquille Wilson, Christian County; 10. Josh Sewell, Trinity; 11. Donovan Gibbs, Iroquois; 12. Clint Stepp, June Buchanan. Top sleeper: Matt St. John, South Laurel. "

Again, no Faulkners, no Justice. Get a grip and keep it real.
Love Eastern at 3, Holmes and Scott Co. have earned those 1/2 spots, and I feel like Eastern could beat all of the teams below them. We will see within the next week, back-to-back matchups with Ballard and J'Town will tell the tale.

Not sold on PRP being in the Top 20, just because the 6th Region is awful this year. Also, not so sure on Trinity being 10, but having not seen them play yet I can't fault them.

Give some love to the 7th Region....4 teams in the Top 10 and 6 in the Top 20.

Hands down the toughest region in the state...
FBALL Wrote:Before this turns into another mind numbing ramble by Elliott County and Shelby Valley fans. Here is a part Mike Fields article from todays Hearald Leader. No one from either team including the Faulkners or Justice are even mentioned. So it appears that the rest of the state and country do not share the same opinions as many of the members from those two schools.

"■ Recruiting guru Rick Bolus' latest ratings for top senior basketball players in the state: 1. Jon Hood, Madisonville; 2. Jacob Jenkins, Manual; 3. Vee Sanford, Lexington Catholic; 4. Eric Mosley, Moore; 5. C.J. Penny, Anderson County; 6. Wesley Cox, Ballard; 7. Greg Johnson, North Hardin; 8. Richie Phares, Scott County; 9. Darren Ballou, Adair County; 10. Jordan Reves, Jeffersontown; 11. Garrison Collins, June Buchanan; 12. Andrew Donovan, Franklin County. Top sleeper: Corey Jackson, Shawnee.

Bolus' top underclassmen: 1. Elijah Pittman, Holmes; 2. Chad Jackson, Scott County; 3. Aaron Cosby, J-town; 4. Dakotah Euton, Scott County; 5. Vinny Zollo, Clark County; 6. Ricardo Johnson, Holmes; 7 Ge-Lawn Guyn, Scott County; 8. George Fant, Warren Central; 9. Shaquille Wilson, Christian County; 10. Josh Sewell, Trinity; 11. Donovan Gibbs, Iroquois; 12. Clint Stepp, June Buchanan. Top sleeper: Matt St. John, South Laurel. "

Is this guy serious? Over the Faulkners and Justice? LOL.:lmao:
FBALL,

I don't see any credibility in those player rankings other than the name Rick Bolus.

In my opinion having Jordan Reves as the #10 senior in the state is absolutely laughable and complete destroys any credibility Bolus has....thats just rediculous.
I'm from NKY, thus the only way that I would know about these young men are from BGR. The only way to compare these young men to the rest of the state is to see them play. NKY, Louisville and Lexington teams play regularly in the same Christmas tourneys and the like. Many sports writers get to see these teams/players regularly without having to travel to catch some of the remote schools.

The only opportunity to see EC is in the state tournament. They do not travel, thus unfortunately for those young men, they do not get acknowledged from outside of their region. No knock and it's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.
Stardust Wrote:I'm from NKY, thus the only way that I would know about these young men are from BGR. The only way to compare these young men to the rest of the state is to see them play. NKY, Louisville and Lexington teams play regularly in the same Christmas tourneys and the like. Many sports writers get to see these teams/players regularly without having to travel to catch some of the remote schools.

The only opportunity to see EC is in the state tournament. They do not travel, thus unfortunately for those young men, they do not get acknowledged from outside of their region. No knock and it's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.

Then maybe these should be called the "Everything outside of Eastern Kentucky Ratings"

If you're a high school sports reporter, or you're going to rank high school teams and players, get and and do your job, see the top players, see the top teams, don't just rank who you've seen, rank them because you got your butt out of Lexington and saw some of the good teams around the state. This "we don't see outside of NKY so it's an injustice to EKY". That's garbage, you just don't feel like doing your job so you make excuses for it.
FBALL Wrote:Before this turns into another mind numbing ramble by Elliott County and Shelby Valley fans. Here is a part Mike Fields article from todays Hearald Leader. No one from either team including the Faulkners or Justice are even mentioned. So it appears that the rest of the state and country do not share the same opinions as many of the members from those two schools.

How you rank Garrison Collins and Clint Stepp among the top players of their class amazes me. I can think of about 10 other guards I'd rather have from the mountains than I would Clint Stepp and 7 or 8 other big men from the Mountains I would rather have on my team than Garrison Collins. Don't get me wrong, they are fine players but they simply are not on the level that you have them at.

Guards like Tate Cox, Josh Whitaker, and I shouldn't even have to mention Elisha Justice and the Faulkners are overall better players. Faulkners and Justice get a lot of attention and I think you may be a little biased.

Garrison Collins isn't even the best big man on his own team. Have you seen what Brent Hall has been doing for the Crusaders?

I do respect your opinion, but I just think that others would agree, that you have them ranked too high.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:How you rank Garrison Collins and Clint Stepp among the top players of their class amazes me. I can think of about 10 other guards I'd rather have from the mountains than I would Clint Stepp and 7 or 8 other big men from the Mountains I would rather have on my team than Garrison Collins. Don't get me wrong, they are fine players but they simply are not on the level that you have them at.

Guards like Tate Cox, Josh Whitaker, and I shouldn't even have to mention Elisha Justice and the Faulkners are overall better players. Faulkners and Justice get a lot of attention and I think you may be a little biased.

Garrison Collins isn't even the best big man on his own team. Have you seen what Brent Hall has been doing for the Crusaders?

I do respect your opinion, but I just think that others would agree, that you have them ranked too high.
I personally think Bolus ranks players according to how many times they go to his camp.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:How you rank Garrison Collins and Clint Stepp among the top players of their class amazes me. I can think of about 10 other guards I'd rather have from the mountains than I would Clint Stepp and 7 or 8 other big men from the Mountains I would rather have on my team than Garrison Collins. Don't get me wrong, they are fine players but they simply are not on the level that you have them at.

Its not my opinion. Its Rick Bolus's opinion. I just put it on here to give everyone a view of the perception from outside looking in.
FBALL Wrote:Its not my opinion. Its Rick Bolus's opinion. I just put it on here to give everyone a view of the perception from outside looking in.

Well, he and you must be tired of the attention that Elliot County and Shelby Valley gets.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Then maybe these should be called the "Everything outside of Eastern Kentucky Ratings"

If you're a high school sports reporter, or you're going to rank high school teams and players, get and and do your job, see the top players, see the top teams, don't just rank who you've seen, rank them because you got your butt out of Lexington and saw some of the good teams around the state. This "we don't see outside of NKY so it's an injustice to EKY". That's garbage, you just don't feel like doing your job so you make excuses for it.

I think all KY teams should get out of their regions to play throughout the state. Many teams, especially the ones who show success in March, play in the top tournaments in the state during the Christmas holidays. This gives everyone, fans, players, coaches and sportswriters a legitimate gauge of where there team stands.

The Holmes, Scott Co., Mason Co teams do this year in and year out. Not only does it battle test them, it creates results in the Sweet 16. I'll take Denny Crum's coaching philosophy, play every tough team that you can in November and December - take your lumps - and this put's you ahead of the game in March. It proved successful for the team and it brought recognition to his players nationally.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well, he and you must be tired of the attention that Elliot County and Shelby Valley gets.
My post didnt have anything to do with Elliot Co. or Shelby Valley. I just stated that I think he ranks players higher if they go to his camp or not. What does that have to do with either team? I think Rick bolus rankings of players are as reliable as a Yugo.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
i lived in madisonville when travis ford played there and this is just what i hear, never seen him play but hear that hood is not the number one player in the state..thats coimng from people who watch him..
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well, he and you must be tired of the attention that Elliot County and Shelby Valley gets.

Please don't try to lump me in with Rick Bolus. I just told you it wasn't my opinion. I know independent thought is a new concept to alot of people.

I don't care what kind of attention Elliott County or Shelby Valley get. I'm just tired of every yahoo with a keyboard proclaiming their local player to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and that all of the rest of the players get to much publicity and aren't really that good.

If people want to pump up their player I'm fine with that. But I don't see the need to tear other players down.
FBALL Wrote:Please don't try to lump me in with Rick Bolus. I just told you it wasn't my opinion. I know independent thought is a new concept to alot of people.

I don't care what kind of attention Elliott County or Shelby Valley get. I'm just tired of every yahoo with a keyboard proclaiming their local player to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and that all of the rest of the players get to much publicity and aren't really that good.

If people want to pump up their player I'm fine with that. But I don't see the need to tear other players down.

Great post FBALL. Many forget what the intent of this is for.
Good to finally see Boone county ranked.
5throundball Wrote:Good to finally see Boone county ranked.

Ditto - and any other NKY team for that matter.
FBALL Wrote:Please don't try to lump me in with Rick Bolus. I just told you it wasn't my opinion. I know independent thought is a new concept to alot of people.

I am not a fan of either Shelby Valley or Elliott County and I'm not tearing any other players down. All I was saying was that Rick Bolus has a far different opinion than everyone else. That's absolutely fine, he's entitled to it and so are you.

Didn't mean to sound like that was your opinion was the same as Rick Bolus'.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I am not a fan of either Shelby Valley or Elliott County and I'm not tearing any other players down. All I was saying was that Rick Bolus has a far different opinion than everyone else. That's absolutely fine, he's entitled to it and so are you.

Didn't mean to sound like that was your opinion was the same as Rick Bolus'.

Personally I think Bolus's rankings are not very accurate and are completely self serving. It does show how even so called experts opinions differ. Which is fine.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I personally think Bolus ranks players according to how many times they go to his camp.

We have a big winner! If you shell out the money to attend a Bolus camp, then he might see you play, or he may look over the list and see what kids from each state attend......... You need look no farther than this list to see that he hasn't seen many kids from KY play. To be honest I don't think Rick is nearly as respected as he once was..... Check out a Mike Fields list or one of Jody Demlings blogs if you want a more un-biased, informed opinion!