Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2009
cuppett777 Wrote:yes jc gave highlands all they wanted and then some until the line took the fumble back, and let the wind out of there sails.

They played good on offense, but not to hot on defense. And if I remember correctly, HHS played sloppy and had several unforced mental mistakes in that game. I was at the game and was never really afraid that HHS was going to lose that game. JC was a good team though (probably the 3rd or 4th best team they played last year). Hope to see them agian this year up at our place.
Highlands is still the team. Until someone dethrones them you better just go ahead and have the name Highlands on the Trophy. One day though I think we as eastern KY will do what no one thought could be done. Beat Highlands. I just hope I am alive to see it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
sstack Wrote:They played good on offense, but not to hot on defense. And if I remember correctly, HHS played sloppy and had several unforced mental mistakes in that game. I was at the game and was never really afraid that HHS was going to lose that game. JC was a good team though (probably the 3rd or 4th best team they played last year). Hope to see them agian this year up at our place.

I would place the Bryan Station scare as Number 1, JC 2, and Whitley 3.

I must admit, I have sat thru plenty of Highlands games in the playoffs that have been , well, lack luster. Blowouts. This past year however was something very different. Highlands last game was against a very good Louisville Central, good game but a Highlands win. Bryan Station comes to town and wasn't really expecting them to give us as much as Louisville Central, but they gave us all that and then some. Lucky to come out of that game (playoff) with the win. Johnson Central and Whitley were more of the same. However, after the Bryan Station scare, I believe the Highlands team had a better understanding on how quickly their football career could end and didn't want to see that happen before State.
Stardust Wrote:Must be nice....:igiveup:

:Thumbs:

?
tradition Wrote:I would place the Bryan Station scare as Number 1, JC 2, and Whitley 3.

I must admit, I have sat thru plenty of Highlands games in the playoffs that have been , well, lack luster. Blowouts. This past year however was something very different. Highlands last game was against a very good Louisville Central, good game but a Highlands win. Bryan Station comes to town and wasn't really expecting them to give us as much as Louisville Central, but they gave us all that and then some. Lucky to come out of that game (playoff) with the win. Johnson Central and Whitley were more of the same. However, after the Bryan Station scare, I believe the Highlands team had a better understanding on how quickly their football career could end and didn't want to see that happen before State.

I agree with your order of "scares", but if we are listing the best teams we played last year, I'd of course put Colerain first, JC second, Whitley third and Station fourth. Actually I'd have no argument if the third and fourth teams were switched. But the first two are solid to me.
charlie22 Wrote:I agree with your order of "scares", but if we are listing the best teams we played last year, I'd of course put Colerain first, JC second, Whitley third and Station fourth. Actually I'd have no argument if the third and fourth teams were switched. But the first two are solid to me.

Yeah, this is the way I'd go, also. If JC had any kind of a passing attack to keep things honest, that game had the potential to come down to the nail-biting end.
charlie22 Wrote:I agree with your order of "scares", but if we are listing the best teams we played last year, I'd of course put Colerain first, JC second, Whitley third and Station fourth. Actually I'd have no argument if the third and fourth teams were switched. But the first two are solid to me.
I agree that Cincinnati Colerain was by far Highlands' toughest opponent. However, I'm a bit surprised that you are not ranking BS ahead of both JC and WC, especially considering that Highlands hosted BS, while the Bluebirds defeated JC and WC on the road. Do you think it was a fluke that BS came so close to beating Highlands? I know that several fans and parents close to the Highlands football program were very worried about the BS match-up before the game, which makes me think that it wasn't so much of a fluke after all. And perhaps I'm wrong, but didn't Highlands blast WC at WC in 2008???
jbwill2 Wrote:I agree that Cincinnati Colerain was by far Highlands' toughest opponent. However, I'm a bit surprised that you are not ranking BS ahead of both JC and WC, especially considering that Highlands hosted BS, while the Bluebirds defeated JC and WC on the road. Do you think it was a fluke that BS came so close to beating Highlands? I know that several fans and parents close to the Highlands football program were very worried about the BS match-up before the game, which makes me think that it wasn't so much of a fluke after all. And perhaps I'm wrong, but didn't Highlands blast WC at WC in 2008???

I was one of those Highlands people worried about BS. They were good. Just not as good as JC in my opinion, whom I was even more worried about. I know it may sound like sour grapes, but if you watch the BS game film, we did almost EVERYTHING we could to lose that game. In my opinion, we were a 3 td better team than BS if we don't make the mistakes. Against JC we played a pretty good game and but for the fumble returned for a TD, it was pretty much an even game. Whitley was also very good. Whitley played against us like the way we played against BS. Lot's of mistakes. I don't have any doubt that if both teams played up to their potential and didn't make mistakes that we would beat Whitley, but the margin of victory wouldn't have been anywhere near that it was. The score may indicate we blasted them; if you could have been at the game (it's not that far from NC :biggrinSmile you would have seen we did not blast them. I'd say Whitley and BS were pretty even with JC being better than both and better than Christian County.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...907060352/

After the 2008 football season, Highlands head coach Dale Mueller approached Austin Collinsworth and said, "I think we are going to try you out at running back this spring and see how it goes."

On the first play of spring practice, Collinsworth blew by his teammates for a 90-yard touchdown run.

Afterward, the coach told his senior-to-be, "You are going to play running back for us this year."

"We are moving him to running back this year just because we want to give him more touches," Mueller said. "He is just such a great player, we just want to put the ball in his hands."

As a junior last year, Collinsworth caught 47 passes for 840 yards and five touchdowns as Highlands primary wide receiver. He also played defensive back, a position he starred at as a sophomore, and returned kicks for the Bluebirds last season.

"He's amazing. He can do whatever. He can play wherever coach wants him to play. He could probably be a great lineman if you put him there," Highlands offensive tackle Tyler Grubbs said. "He is just so athletic. I am happy to block for him because he is going to make us look good."

Collinsworth adjustment to running back shouldn't be too challenging. Growing up, he had always been the star running back on his youth team and even played the position on Highlands freshmen team.

Switching positions has also been a common theme for Collinsworth, going from a running back and a linebacker as a freshman to a defensive back as a sophomore to a wide receiver last spring.

"I always felt running back was my natural position," Collinsworth said. "There was really more of an adjustment switching from running back to defensive back after my freshman year. The toughest transition was to wide receiver."

Certain to be one of the area's top running backs, Collinsworth says that "depending on what college you are talking about" the position the school wants him play is either defensive back or wide receiver. Currently, he has offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

"There are a lot of great places that have offered me and have talked with me," Collinsworth said. "It is tough to choose one."

According to Collinsworth, Vanderbilt wants him to play wide receiver, Stanford has discussed him playing both ways and Cincinnati is looking at him as a defensive back.

However, after the fall, those schools may want Collinsworth to play running back.

"When he was a sophomore he was all-state as a defensive back and I really pictured him as being a pro safety. Last year he played wide receiver and I pictured him being Wes Welker and being a pro wide receiver," Mueller said. "Now I am thinking he is a pro running back."
Stardust Wrote:http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...907060352/

After the 2008 football season, Highlands head coach Dale Mueller approached Austin Collinsworth and said, "I think we are going to try you out at running back this spring and see how it goes."

On the first play of spring practice, Collinsworth blew by his teammates for a 90-yard touchdown run.

Afterward, the coach told his senior-to-be, "You are going to play running back for us this year."

"We are moving him to running back this year just because we want to give him more touches," Mueller said. "He is just such a great player, we just want to put the ball in his hands."

As a junior last year, Collinsworth caught 47 passes for 840 yards and five touchdowns as Highlands primary wide receiver. He also played defensive back, a position he starred at as a sophomore, and returned kicks for the Bluebirds last season.

"He's amazing. He can do whatever. He can play wherever coach wants him to play. He could probably be a great lineman if you put him there," Highlands offensive tackle Tyler Grubbs said. "He is just so athletic. I am happy to block for him because he is going to make us look good."

Collinsworth adjustment to running back shouldn't be too challenging. Growing up, he had always been the star running back on his youth team and even played the position on Highlands freshmen team.

Switching positions has also been a common theme for Collinsworth, going from a running back and a linebacker as a freshman to a defensive back as a sophomore to a wide receiver last spring.

"I always felt running back was my natural position," Collinsworth said. "There was really more of an adjustment switching from running back to defensive back after my freshman year. The toughest transition was to wide receiver."

Certain to be one of the area's top running backs, Collinsworth says that "depending on what college you are talking about" the position the school wants him play is either defensive back or wide receiver. Currently, he has offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

"There are a lot of great places that have offered me and have talked with me," Collinsworth said. "It is tough to choose one."

According to Collinsworth, Vanderbilt wants him to play wide receiver, Stanford has discussed him playing both ways and Cincinnati is looking at him as a defensive back.

However, after the fall, those schools may want Collinsworth to play running back.

"When he was a sophomore he was all-state as a defensive back and I really pictured him as being a pro safety. Last year he played wide receiver and I pictured him being Wes Welker and being a pro wide receiver," Mueller said. "Now I am thinking he is a pro running back."

As a Highlands fan, you just got to love Dale. A "tad" bit over the top every now and then, but a great motivator of the kids.
Back from Highlands ...
Posted by RyanErnst at 7/24/2009 1:28 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Ya know, I've seen a lot of Highlandsfootball practices in my life. I've always thought that no team looks better in the weeks and months leading up to the season. Those guys are typically light years ahead of everybody else. Watching one of those practices is like watching one of those plexi-glass-incased beehives. Everyone's moving in all kinds of directions. Everything's rehearsed. Everyone has a job.

I always kind of figured that's because the Bluebirds have been doing the same exact things, day-in and day-out, for the last 40 years.

But today, after practice, I sat in during the Highlands coaches' post-game meeting. I was half expecting something like this:

Head coach Dale Mueller: What's the next day of practice, Monday? Allright then, we'll do Monday stuff. The next day we'll do Tuesday stuff. We'll pick up that state championship trophy Dec. 4.

Instead there was a lot of discussion and give-and-take, lots of adjustments. I don't know why that surprised me. All coaches meetings are like that. At Highlands, though, everything just seems so scripted. I guess just the results are.
There was a big discussion last night I had with a friend who played at Colerain in 1996 when they won the state championship and had their rings taken away prior to graduation because of the ineligible bench player. It was in regards to Cincy St X coming over to play Highlands this season and how he would be very surprised if the Birds could pull off the victory. I agreed with him that depth on the line and size in that position will be hard for the Birds to matchup with but from the skill positions I think the Birds matchup very well and quite frankly could do more damage. With that said, you still have to consider that St. X Ohio has 100 kids on a practice squad that never touch the field so when your thinking of depth you have to remind yourself of that.

Word on the street is that the Streeter kid who was probably the best player in the Ft. Thomas Jr Football league the past 3 yrs will be enrolling at Highlands and joining the Frosh squad. His older brother plays at Cincy St. X and his dad is a former NFL player. This kid will be a definite future star, keep your eye out for him.
Is it true that they will move to 4A next year?
cougarpower Wrote:Is it true that they will move to 4A next year?

Who? Highlands is 5A now.

Tradion can correct me, but I believe they are 3A in size but requested to move up to 5A. Obviously competition plays a factor, but it did have more to do with travel than anything else. Just no 3A schools in the NKY area, thus HHS and Cov Cath both requested and were approved of the move to 5A.
Stardust Wrote:Who? Highlands is 5A now.

Tradion can correct me, but I believe they are 3A in size but requested to move up to 5A. Obviously competition plays a factor, but it did have more to do with travel than anything else. Just no 3A schools in the NKY area, thus HHS and Cov Cath both requested and were approved of the move to 5A.

You got it.:Clap:
While working on a feature about Highlands senior football player Brandon Roller, I spent part of today talking to his father, Steve Roller. Steve, as you might recall, was the victim of the December cannon accident that cost him three fingers on his left hand. Anyway, I was asking Steve about his own high school career when he hit me with the following story.

"My senior year (1980), we were rated No. 1 in the state and we finished 9-1," he said. "Our only loss was to David Simpson."

No, he didn't say, "We lost to Newport." He said, "We lost to David Simpson." That's David Simpson, the father of current Simon Kenton senior standout Miles Simpson.

Roller continued:

"That guy basically beat us all by himself. Earlier in the week their tailback got hurt and they had David Simpson play tailback. He was an amazing athlete. He was about 6-2, 200 pounds and he could flat-out fly. He had a great game and they beat us 22-15."

I'll have to look up that game in the Enquirer archives to see what Simpson did. For now, I just think it's an interesting story because both Miles Simpson and Brandon Roller will be at the Enquirer today for a photo shoot of the area's top players. Life is funny.
Stardust Wrote:While working on a feature about Highlands senior football player Brandon Roller, I spent part of today talking to his father, Steve Roller. Steve, as you might recall, was the victim of the December cannon accident that cost him three fingers on his left hand. Anyway, I was asking Steve about his own high school career when he hit me with the following story.

"My senior year (1980), we were rated No. 1 in the state and we finished 9-1," he said. "Our only loss was to David Simpson."

No, he didn't say, "We lost to Newport." He said, "We lost to David Simpson." That's David Simpson, the father of current Simon Kenton senior standout Miles Simpson.

Roller continued:

"That guy basically beat us all by himself. Earlier in the week their tailback got hurt and they had David Simpson play tailback. He was an amazing athlete. He was about 6-2, 200 pounds and he could flat-out fly. He had a great game and they beat us 22-15."

I'll have to look up that game in the Enquirer archives to see what Simpson did. For now, I just think it's an interesting story because both Miles Simpson and Brandon Roller will be at the Enquirer today for a photo shoot of the area's top players. Life is funny.

I believe David Simpson went on to play at EKU. Steve Roller from what I hear was nasty on the defensive side of the ball.

If the Birds were to play SK I am sure it would be a very similar situation because Brandon is an outstanding LB and Miles is a one of a kind RB.

Good stuff.
After tearing his knee to shreds in a playoff victory over Ashland last year, Highlands football player Brandon Roller faced a long offseason of grueling physical rehabilitation just to gain medical clearance for his senior year.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...908030352/

All the while, Highlands coach Dale Mueller never doubted the return of his two-way standout.

"You've got to remember," Mueller said, "he's a Roller."

The Rollers, as it turns out, are all stocked up on toughness - have been for decades. And their latest incarnation is no exception. After enduring a career's worth of tragedy and triumph during a three-week span at the end of last season, Brandon Roller is back to do what his family does best: win a state championship for Highlands.

Brandon's uncle Bill Roller started the tradition. As an all-state linebacker, he helped lead the Bluebirds to titles in 1968 and 1970. Bill's son Greg was on the 1989 state title team. Steve Roller, Brandon's father, was a freshman on the 1977 state championship team. His son, Brandon's older brother Andrew, was on the 2004 title team. Brandon, a tight end and linebacker, has started on the Bluebirds' back-to-back championship teams in 2007 and 2008.
Stardust Wrote:After tearing his knee to shreds in a playoff victory over Ashland last year, Highlands football player Brandon Roller faced a long offseason of grueling physical rehabilitation just to gain medical clearance for his senior year.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...908030352/

All the while, Highlands coach Dale Mueller never doubted the return of his two-way standout.

"You've got to remember," Mueller said, "he's a Roller."

The Rollers, as it turns out, are all stocked up on toughness - have been for decades. And their latest incarnation is no exception. After enduring a career's worth of tragedy and triumph during a three-week span at the end of last season, Brandon Roller is back to do what his family does best: win a state championship for Highlands.

Brandon's uncle Bill Roller started the tradition. As an all-state linebacker, he helped lead the Bluebirds to titles in 1968 and 1970. Bill's son Greg was on the 1989 state title team. Steve Roller, Brandon's father, was a freshman on the 1977 state championship team. His son, Brandon's older brother Andrew, was on the 2004 title team. Brandon, a tight end and linebacker, has started on the Bluebirds' back-to-back championship teams in 2007 and 2008.

Very nice article. That is just one great family.:Clap:
The Birds started their 2-a days today at 7am going til Noon. They finished up the day with a 6-9pm session.
Highlands wants nothing less than 19th title
By James Weber • [email]jweber@nky.com[/email] • August 18, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type Size: A A

Brandon Roller spent last year's Class 5A state final thinking about his bum knee and his injured father.

Now that he's playing again for the Highlands football team, and his father is in good shape after losing three fingers in an accident with the famed (and now retired) Highlands cannon, Roller is excited about a special senior year.

"Getting hurt made me realize how special this is, how special we have it up here," he said. "A lot of people say 'How do you guys go up there all summer and practice?' You don't understand until you're up here. We have fun up here. It's a great experience. You make lifelong friends here."

The senior tight end/defensive lineman and his teammates have one goal in mind: Bringing home the 19th state title in team history.

Currently, the Bluebirds are one behind Trinity for the state record. The past two years, they have tied Trinity only to have the Shamrocks go back in front the next day.

Highlands is in line to win three titles in a row for the second time in school history (1998-2000). The Bluebirds would also love to go undefeated for the 12th time in their history (they have the state record).

"It'll be special," senior lineman Tyler Grubbs said. "To win three in a row, not many teams get a chance to do that. To get 19 and tie the state record, that's the way to go out. After going through all the stuff you have to do, it will be wonderful to end on that high note."

The Bluebirds are primed for a three-peat as they return their typical blend of size, speed and potential Division I college talent. They have their eye on national rankings as well.

"Our guys really have big goals," Highlands head coach Dale Mueller said. "Our goal is to win the state championship every year and we're really confident we can do that. When these guys (seniors) were sophomores, that senior class - they really looked up to those guys and their work ethic, and it has carried over through their whole career."

Grubbs, one of those seniors, recently committed to Miami University. He didn't play defense last year but is excited about helping out on both sides of the ball.

"We had a great defensive line class leaving and we needed some more beef on that line, so I wanted to get some important reps and help them out," he said. "All I want to do is win. I don't care - I'll kick the ball, hold the snaps, whatever. I'll do whatever it takes."

Will Bardo, a 6-foot-4 left-handed quarterback, is poised for a big year in his first year as starter.

"He's taken a big step up," Mueller said. "He has a great arm, he's a sprinter. He'll fit right in with the top Highlands quarterbacks."

One senior who has gained a lot of attention is Austin Collinsworth, who will play running back in addition to defensive back. The son of former Bengal Cris Collinsworth is sought after by high Division I teams.

Mueller expects big things from Collinsworth, touted as Mr. Football contender.

"Austin is a very special football player," Mueller said. "He is a highly competitive guy. He is so determined to do everything better than anybody in the country. He is so good at finding the hole and running through it. He makes people miss so well and he is so strong and powerful."

Tyler Fennell is also a returning running back. He had some big games in district play last year.

Grubbs, Hunter Schlosser and Tyler Combs are returning starters on the offensive line. Roller and Kyle Welz return at tight end.

Nick Buten, David Hogue, Andrew Gold and John Drennen are the top receivers.

Buten averaged nearly 40 yards a catch for 17 receptions.

"As long as we can stay healthy and keep progressing each game," Buten said, "by the time we get to the playoffs we'll have gotten so much better than the first game of the season that we'll be ready for any team that comes to play us."

The defensive line is led by Grubbs, Brian Beck, Cam Dierig, Justin Johnston, Bryan Ross, and Mark Snyder.

Gold, Collinsworth, Austin Abner, and Drake Bruns lead the secondary.

Travis Alford, Brendan Sullivan, Colin Rosenhagen, and Ty Seidl head the linebackers.

They plan on enjoying their time as Bluebirds.

"Friday nights," Buten said. "Going out there, everybody in Fort Thomas coming to the games, knowing you have a shot to go 15-0 and win the state championship."
Stardust,

Just want to say thanks for posting the articles.:Thumbs:
tradition Wrote:Stardust,

Just want to say thanks for posting the articles.:Thumbs:

YW tradition.

To be honest, I'd rather post Campbell County articles, but I'll settle for what is getting press :biggrin: JK

Highlands is well deserving of the accolades for this year (any year actually). This will be a fun ride for all watching this team. It's cliche to say "this is history in the making", but this is one of those special teams that will gain momentum and those jumping on the bandwagon as it get's going. I'm a Camel through and through, but enjoy (and envy) the HHS program! Can't live in these neck of the woods without a good HHS debate or story.
By Ryan Ernst • [email]rernst@enquirer.com[/email] • August 21, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

Highlands - yawn - is No. 1 again.

When it comes to high school football, the Bluebirds are to The Enquirer coaches' poll what the Beatles were to Billboard Magazine. They're nearly always at the top.

Highlands will enter the season as it has the last 15 seasons, as the top-ranked team in Northern Kentucky. Once again, it is a unanimous No. 1. The last time any Northern Kentucky coach filled out a ballot with another team No. 1 was Oct. 31, 2006.

Highlands hasn't lost to a Northern Kentucky team since a 2006 playoff loss to eventual state champion Covington Catholic. Since then the Bluebirds have a 29-1 record. and back-to-back Class 5A state titles.

The recent run has made Highlands a factor in national polls. The Bluebirds, who return starters at nine of 22 positions and feature one of program's most talented senior classes, is ranked 18th in the country according to MaxPreps.com. ESPN's Rise magazine ranks Highlands 34th. Rivals.com placed Highlands 76th in its preseason rankings.

Simon Kenton, the defending Class 6A state runner-up, is ranked second in The Enquirer poll, followed by big-school rival Boone County and defending Class 1A state champion Beechwood.

Highlands, which opens the season tonight at DuPont Manual, will play five teams this season ranked in The Enquirer preseason poll: Boone County, Beechwood, Ryle (twice) and Covington Catholic