Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 100 Ashland 57
Congrats to SV on a big win
FBALL Wrote:That doesn't mean much. There is a huge drop off after Elliott County and East Carter.
Ashland is down this year. They have some decent size but they are not very athletic.
Everybody is down when they get beat.
Shelby Valley is superb.
They got the big kid from Pikeville. Adams and he is a dominate force down low.
But they are going to be extremely hard to beat
PC_You_Know Wrote:I would expect in that game Elisha to play man on Ethan, no zone necessary, Elisha takes the other teams best player out of them game.

No offense,I wouldn't say Ethan is their best player. Who will shut down Ferguson ,Evan and the Knipp boys.It is all but impossible to stop them all with 5 talented players let alone with one very talented player.:dontthink

Anyway congrats to SV on a great win Ashland may be down a little but what SV did to them was very impressive.
kybaseball Wrote:No offense,I wouldn't say Ethan is their best player. Who will shut down Ferguson ,Evan and the Knipp boys.It is all but impossible to stop them all with 5 talented players let alone with one very talented player.:dontthink

Anyway congrats to SV on a great win Ashland may be down a little but what SV did to them was very impressive.

The thing with this SV team will be this. If Elliot misses a 3 against Valley, they better hope they get all the foul calls they got at Rupp, because with Adams and Hatfield in the paint, I can't see many rebounds going Elliot's way, not to mention Elisha is a pretty good rebounder too.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The thing with this SV team will be this. If Elliot misses a 3 against Valley, they better hope they get all the foul calls they got at Rupp, because with Adams and Hatfield in the paint, I can't see many rebounds going Elliot's way, not to mention Elisha is a pretty good rebounder too.

I am not trying to put SV down in anyway but Elliott has TK who is about 6'7" and is from what I understand is playing more agressive and should be a rebounding force plus the other boys are pretty good at boxing out .SV is more than likely out manned.I think it would be a great game to watch for whatever it's worth I would give Elliott a slight edge though.

What kind of Defense did Ashland run against SV?
ashland pressed most the game.They caused some turnovers they caused Elijah to turnover a few.Was a good game for SV.Thought I could see grounds for inprovement if you can believe that.One thing you must have to make it to the big March dance is good hands. The big guys needs little,little work on that.Valleys big guys did look fair,missed a few passes, but still looked fair.DA had some nice offence rebounds.How many points he end up with.By the way DA's is returning to the Valley where he should have been to start with.Thats where his family roots are from.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:ashland pressed most the game.They caused some turnovers they caused Elijah to turnover a few.

Elisha had 2 turnovers, which is pretty unusual.
That is kind of a shocker Ashland trying to press the whole game.
kybaseball Wrote:No offense,I wouldn't say Ethan is their best player. Who will shut down Ferguson ,Evan and the Knipp boys.It is all but impossible to stop them all with 5 talented players let alone with one very talented player.

Shelby Valley is not just a one man show either. Sure, Elisha Justice gets all the publicity (and deservedly so), but he has help. Ashley Hatfield is regarded by most as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the region, Devan Adams and Taylor Newsome are excellent post players, and Logan Bryant is a nice complementary player. They also have a good bench.

IMO, Elliott is still probably the better team, but it's not a huge difference. Valley could give them all they could handle.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Shelby Valley is not just a one man show either. Sure, Elisha Justice gets all the publicity (and deservedly so), but he has help. Ashley Hatfield is regarded by most as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the region, Devan Adams and Taylor Newsome are excellent post players, and Logan Bryant is a nice complementary player. They also have a good bench.

IMO, Elliott is still probably the better team, but it's not a huge difference. Valley could give them all they could handle.

I agree SV would be a good game and I stated in an earlier post I would give Elliott a SLIGHT advantage. I just think 1-5 Elliot is better.Timmy Knipp is around 6'7" can play inside and out and it is really difficult for straight post players to handle him.

I would say Elliott is having a good shooting night they are around 10pts better more or less.A bad night I would say 5 pts better.JMO

I'm not trying try to knock SV they have to be a pretty good team to do what they did to Ashland.:eek: :eek:

And I agree Mr. Justice does get all the pub and from what I have heard he deserves it.
kybaseball Wrote:I agree SV would be a good game and I stated in an earlier post I would give Elliott a SLIGHT advantage. I just think 1-5 Elliot is better.Timmy Knipp is around 6'7" can play inside and out and it is really difficult for straight post players to handle him.

I would say Elliott is having a good shooting night they are around 10pts better more or less.A bad night I would say 5 pts better.JMO

I'm not trying try to knock SV they have to be a pretty good team to do what they did to Ashland.:eek: :eek:

And I agree Mr. Justice does get all the pub and from what I have heard he deserves it.

My friend, you are way too biased, you just said that on a bad shooting night Elliot is 5 points better than Valley, how bad do you think Valley is?
PC_You_Know Wrote:My friend, you are way too biased, you just said that on a bad shooting night Elliot is 5 points better than Valley, how bad do you think Valley is?

I do not think SV is a bad team in any way shape or form. Elliott is flat out good they are a very under estimated team. A bad shooting game for Elliott is scoring 80-85 pts a good night =100+.

No hating on SV intended.JMO like I said before it doesn't mean much.I admit I could be off base but I think I am pretty close though. There is no shame in not being as good as Elliott. I am not from there but have seen them play and they are the real deal.
kybaseball Wrote:I do not think SV is a bad team in any way shape or form. Elliott is flat out good they are a very under estimated team. A bad shooting game for Elliott is scoring 80-85 pts a good night =100+.

No hating on SV intended.JMO like I said before it doesn't mean much.I admit I could be off base but I think I am pretty close though. There is no shame in not being as good as Elliott. I am not from there but have seen them play and they are the real deal.
You say that even though Elliot has had only 1 game. And may I mention they didnt score 100 in that game. Valley has had 1 game and hit the century mark with the 2nd and mostly 3rd string in for the 4th quarter as what it sounded like on the radio. Wait until Elliot actually puts 100 up on the scoreboard before you talk about them doing it on a consistant basis.
Warlock Wrote:You say that even though Elliot has had only 1 game. And may I mention they didnt score 100 in that game. Valley has had 1 game and hit the century mark with the 2nd and mostly 3rd string in for the 4th quarter as what it sounded like on the radio. Wait until Elliot actually puts 100 up on the scoreboard before you talk about them doing it on a consistant basis.

Hold up there I said on a good night and trust me they will hit the century mark if they so choose several times this year.I don't understand I haven't put SV down I am just saying Elliott is a SLIGHTLY better team.It is no shame not being as good as Elliott.:confused:

Also I have complimented more than once on their impressive victory over Ashland.
Elliott County has had more success than SV at the state tournament and beat them in the state 2 years ago. Based on those things I think it is fair to give bragging rights to Elliott over SV until something changes...
I'll say it now and I have nothing at all against Shelby Valley.

Elliott County is a much better team.
I have nothing against SV either I was just expessing my opinon on here and stated it didn't mean anything and not put any team ,player or coach down in any way.:confused:
I'm not bragging on Elliott just stating how I feel about them as a team.:Thumbs:
Warlock Wrote:You say that even though Elliot has had only 1 game. And may I mention they didnt score 100 in that game. Valley has had 1 game and hit the century mark with the 2nd and mostly 3rd string in for the 4th quarter as what it sounded like on the radio. Wait until Elliot actually puts 100 up on the scoreboard before you talk about them doing it on a consistant basis.
Well, Elliott lead the state in scoring last season, and put over 100 6 or 7 times with a high of 132 against Greenup... Again, nobody is slighting Valley. If you wish to take it that way......Thats on you! Valley has a fine team. In my original post I just said they can't beat EC with that zone press... Half court, I think Valley is the better team.... But Ethan will eat ANY high school press for lunch and ask for seconds, he isn't rated by **** near all evaluaters as the best point in the state for no reason!!!!!
letthebighogroot Wrote:Well, Elliott lead the state in scoring last season, and put over 100 6 or 7 times with a high of 132 against Greenup... Again, nobody is slighting Valley. If you wish to take it that way......Thats on you! Valley has a fine team. In my original post I just said they can't beat EC with that zone press... Half court, I think Valley is the better team.... But Ethan will eat ANY high school press for lunch and ask for seconds, he isn't rated by **** near all evaluaters as the best point in the state for no reason!!!!!
I am not a Valley fan, I am a Paintsville fan. I just said that they have not hit the century mark yet this season. I am still confussed as to how Elliott County got involved in this game. I am pretty sure on the radio they said it was between Shelby Valley and Ashland.
Shelby Valley and Elliott County are both very good teams top 10 in the state. I actually would rate EC at #2 behind only Scott Co. Not sure where to put SV but I think they are top 10 even though the preseason polls didnt have them there.
Does anyone have the full stat sheet for Valley? Curious as to how the scoring was spread out among the rest of the players... thanks
kybaseball Wrote:I would say Elliott is having a good shooting night they are around 10pts better more or less.A bad night I would say 5 pts better.JMO

I disagree with your assessment that Elliott still beats SV even on a bad shooting night. If both teams play their very best, Elliott should win, but if Elliott is having a bad night, how can you say they still beat SV? Unless you're assuming Valley is also having a bad shooting night...

The King Wrote:Elliott County has had more success than SV at the state tournament and beat them in the state 2 years ago. Based on those things I think it is fair to give bragging rights to Elliott over SV until something changes...

You are correct. Elliott holds all the cards in this argument, and deserves the mantle of favorite should the two teams ever meet this year. If SV wants any bragging rights, they're going to have to go out there and earn it.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I disagree with your assessment that Elliott still beats SV even on a bad shooting night. If both teams play their very best, Elliott should win, but if Elliott is having a bad night, how can you say they still beat SV? Unless you're assuming Valley is also having a bad shooting night...

Because Elliott defense would shut SV down. Those boys will flat get in your grill like nobodies bussiness. I honestly believe even if they were off shooting wise they would still win because of their defense.

I could be wrong but I think I an dead on with this one.Also if everything lined up right SV could win just as easily.

There is no doubt SV is a legit team beating Ashland in the manner they did they have my and i'm sure many other's respect.
kybaseball Wrote:Because Elliott defense would shut SV down. Those boys will flat get in your grill like nobodies bussiness. I honestly believe even if they were off shooting wise they would still win because of their defense.

I could be wrong but I think I an dead on with this one.Also if everything lined up right SV could win just as easily.

There is no doubt SV is a legit team beating Ashland in the manner they did they have my and i'm sure many other's respect.

Have you ever seen Valley play? Their full-court press & half-court traps are very, very tough to get through.

Elisha Justice is one of the best defensive players in the state IMO.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Have you ever seen Valley play? Their full-court press & half-court traps are very, very tough to get through.

Not just your opinion, the polls opinion and the catspause opinion. Elisha was voted into the top players in the state.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Have you ever seen Valley play? Their full-court press & half-court traps are very, very tough to get through.

In person no on tape yes quite a bit actually and from what I have seen Elliott would exploit their press

Have you seen Elliot play lately? They are a completeley different level than the team Beat SV a couple of years ago.

Speaking of Justice being a great defender on the counter Faulkner is one of the better ball handler's in the state. Also everyone keeps forgetting about Ferguson one of the better 3pt shooters around,Justice as good as he is can't stop them both.
Then there is Knipp he can do it inside and out if you put a bigman on him he will take him out side the drive around him put a small guy on him he will take him down low and dominate them.
This is a fact they are a great team they can come at you in many many different ways you shut one guy down there is three just as good that will tear a team apart.(speaking basketball wise)

SV would give them a good game and like I said on a night were things went good for them they could quite possibly beat Elliott.Anyone do what they did to Ashland would be no push over.On the other hand Elliott is not Ashland.
I know it doesn't mean much but here is a comparison from common opponets from last year.Elliott has about the same team but a year better.

SV vs Raceland 62-51

Elliot vs Raceland 98-69
81-55

SV vs Ashland 76-59

Elliott vs Ashland 79-52

SV avg 69 pts a game
Elliott avg 86 pts a game

SV gave up avg 55pts per game
Elliott gave up 58.12 pts per game

SV factor of points scored/allowed was 62

Elliott factor of points scored/allowed was 72

If I did the math right my earlier comment of Elliott being 10 pts better was correct based on last years stats and common opponents. The gap more than likely has grown a little more this season but it could have narrowed as well.
I know it means nothing but I believe these numbers could hold some merrit.
good win SV
Congrats Valley