Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Co. Central 80 - Allen Central 55
Pike Central was too quick and athletic and eventually wore down Allen Central. The Rebels committed over 30 turnovers and really missed the experience of a true point guard. Logan Crowder led Allen Central with 20 points, and Pike Central was led by Michael Thompson with 17.
Congrats Hawks!

Judging by the margin of victory, I can't help but wonder whether PCC is that good or is Allen Central that bad this year?
Talked to one of the AC players, and said they played absolutely horrible tonight. Glad to see Logan have a good game, he has to do good for AC to do anything. Congrats PCC
Congrats Pike Central! I expected them to win but not by this much. Allen Central needs to find a point gaurd that can handle the ball.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Congrats Hawks!

Judging by the margin of victory, I can't help but wonder whether PCC is that good or is Allen Central that bad this year?

Good point, IMO the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think AC could possibly get better has the year goes on. They've only had their whole team about 2 weeks. They still have some big "?'s" they have figure out the answers too. PC is probably not 25 pts better than AC, but they are better than last year and will also improve as the year goes on and will compete for their district. If these two teams play later in the year my guess is it would be a much closer game. Just my opinoin!
Congrats Hawks!
Pike Central played a nice game tonight. But- NO I don't think they are 25 points better than Allen Central. There where times tonight when you caught a glimmer of the "Runnin' Rebels" of the past- but just as quick as the chemistry showed itself- a substitution was made. I don't think the players were left in long enough to get anything going. I honestly believe that AC played their best ball with Prater, L. Crowder, H. Crowder, Jackson and Jarrell on the floor. Jarrell was still a little nervous tonight and this was Jackson's first time on the floor (he missed both scrimmages due to a broken collar bone he suffered during football season).
This new offense and style of play- doesn't seem to suit the roster at AC this season. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks- and these dogs have been playing the same style of ball since they were in first or second grade.
i agree completely.. the "runnin rebs" should be allowed to run. glad to hear that justin is back on the floor.
Pike Central's press really caused AC some fits early, and it doesn't help when you shoot only 50% from the free throw line (AC was 17 of 34). The Crowders HAVE to be on the floor and play well for this team to succeed. Prater needs to be a leader for them as well. Pike Central played a very well game, and no, I don't think they are 25 points better than AC, but they were tonight, and that's what matters. AC should improve. I spoke with Coach Martin afterwards and he said they've only been together for about 2 weeks, as a whole team. And he said most of the players are beginning to buy into his partiular style (which is vastly different than Johnny's). They should be fine. It's only one game. Bob Knight says you can't judge a team after 1 game. Wait til they've played for a few weeks, and by then, we should have a pretty solid idea of what AC will be like this season.
gotcha2 Wrote:This new offense and style of play- doesn't seem to suit the roster at AC this season. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks- and these dogs have been playing the same style of ball since they were in first or second grade.
I don't know what kind of style you would prefer them running, but if it's the "run-n-gun" style, then there's no way AC can run it. AC is athletic. Most of the players play several different sports, but they're not quick, they're not fasy. And there is a difference. Pike Central ran up and down the floor all night. They pressed, penetrated the lane, and was in AC's face all night long. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, AC was a good 2 steps behind Pike Central. AC tried early to run with the Hawks, and that's what forced the turnovers and got them into an early defecit. Mark is a solid coach who knows the game. His philosophy is different from Johnny's, and I think it will take some time for people to realize that.
Not very surprised by the outcome because AC doesn't have anyone to run the point and that will really hurt them if they cannot find someone other than the Crowder's.

AC's best chance at winning games against teams such as Pike Central is to slow it down and not turn the ball-over. AC is not capable of playing and up & down game such as mentioned above.

Congrats Hawks!
Allen Central just cant handle being pressed IMO, They had at least 10 turnovers back court.

Pike Central looks to be pretty good this year if they can lockdown their defense
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I don't know what kind of style you would prefer them running, but if it's the "run-n-gun" style, then there's no way AC can run it. AC is athletic. Most of the players play several different sports, but they're not quick, they're not fasy. And there is a difference. Pike Central ran up and down the floor all night. They pressed, penetrated the lane, and was in AC's face all night long. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, AC was a good 2 steps behind Pike Central. AC tried early to run with the Hawks, and that's what forced the turnovers and got them into an early defecit. Mark is a solid coach who knows the game. His philosophy is different from Johnny's, and I think it will take some time for people to realize that.

Last years team played it and played it successfully. AC returned 3 starters who played that style of ball and won. Aaron Crum was a great shot- but there was no great speed there. Alex Hammonds is the only speed that AC lost from their starting line up last year. We keep hearing how AC is missing the "true point guard" they had in Alex Hammonds- I agree. But the thing is- the coach doesn't want a "true point guard". The skill is there to build on- but his offense doesn't call for a "true point guard". Prater ran point some during middle school. He is probably the best passer on the team. Hunter Crowder has never played point guard in his life - but time and again he was called on to bring the ball up the floor. Logan Crowder played point in the past and Justin Jackson has also played point and done a fantastic job at it.

As far as the turnovers go- passing the ball 4-5 times before you make it to half court played a role in that. And the philosophy being different- oh yeah- it's different all right.
Congrats PC and hang in there Coach Martin.
Kind of suprised with this score, Allen Central is not at the same level as last seasons team and the team before that. They have a lot to work on to be competitive in the region, although their district is again going to be extremly weak.
I think that Pike Central is alot better than everyone is expecting. They was ready to play and got a great win over the Rebels. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.
Congrats hawks on good home win!!!!
Thompson actually had 21
WOW!!!! Surprised with this score! GOOD LUCK Rebels-N-Hawks on the rest of the season!
It's already been noted previously, but Allen Central lacks guard play in the worst way. One of things that stood out to me last night was that Mark played 10 guys regularly - something Johnny would've never done.

I believe I scored AC with 32 turnovers (21 in the first half alone). Having Logan bring the ball down floor is not the answer. The frosh Seth Jarrell has to step in, but maybe he's best suited to come off the bench at this time and let Jackson start at point.

This team will improve and be totally different by March. I foresee this ballclub taking some lumps early and making dumplins by tourny time. The biggest question is finding someone to distribute the basketball from the point guard position and cutting down turnovers. Any opponent that traps and presses will have their way with the Rebels over the next few weeks.
That is true, i think Justin should be the starting PG. From what ive been told, a lot of their turnovers were from walks or things not related to a press. These are the things that Mark needs to be worried about. I think the Jarrell kid will be alright once he is not so nervous. I could tell by watching the panorama that Chad Nelson was VERY nervous. Once they settle in and realize their talents they will be fine. You dont need hunter and logan bringing the ball up the floor and then having ppl jacking up 3s that dont need to be. Once Mark gets them to realize what they are good at, and stop trying to do things they cant, they should be a lot better.
jammin' jamey Wrote:It's already been noted previously, but Allen Central lacks guard play in the worst way. One of things that stood out to me last night was that Mark played 10 guys regularly - something Johnny would've never done.

I believe I scored AC with 32 turnovers (21 in the first half alone). Having Logan bring the ball down floor is not the answer. The frosh Seth Jarrell has to step in, but maybe he's best suited to come off the bench at this time and let Jackson start at point.

This team will improve and be totally different by March. I foresee this ballclub taking some lumps early and making dumplins by tourny time. The biggest question is finding someone to distribute the basketball from the point guard position and cutting down turnovers. Any opponent that traps and presses will have their way with the Rebels over the next few weeks.

I look for Seth to make big contributions to this AC team. He has walked in to a new school, playing with new teammates/coach and going straight from middle school ball to starting HS Varsity. The potential is there with Seth and it looks like he has the work ethic needed to succeed in his transition. I think Mark Martin needs to give Jarrell, Jackson, Prater and the Crowder boys a chance to get the chemistry going and see what they can produce. And Logan bringing the ball up the floor is not the answer to the problem- but the point (no pun intended) I was making was- of the two (Hunter and Logan) Logan had previously played point.
gotcha2 Wrote:I look for Seth to make big contributions to this AC team. He has walked in to a new school, playing with new teammates/coach and going straight from middle school ball to starting HS Varsity. The potential is there with Seth and it looks like he has the work ethic needed to succeed in his transition. I think Mark Martin needs to give Jarrell, Jackson, Prater and the Crowder boys a chance to get the chemistry going and see what they can produce. And Logan bringing the ball up the floor is not the answer to the problem- but the point (no pun intended) I was making was- of the two (Hunter and Logan) Logan had previously played point.

Logan & Josh may have played the point in the past but everyone knows that they don't have the handles and their not quick enough to run the point. They are post players, let Jackson, Nelson, Stumbo, Jarrell, run the position and gain experience. As long as Martin does this they will get better and better each game.
gotcha2 Wrote:I look for Seth to make big contributions to this AC team. He has walked in to a new school, playing with new teammates/coach and going straight from middle school ball to starting HS Varsity. The potential is there with Seth and it looks like he has the work ethic needed to succeed in his transition.

You are correct. He's adjusting to a new enviroment and I wish him the best. He showed "flashes" of quality skill and I'm sure it will only improve.

I think we are all making more out of the "turnovers" situation than should be noted. Remember this was game #1 for both ballclubs. Pike Central won and still turned the ball over 20+ times themselves guys. This happens with all teams on different degrees. For "both" teams sakes, let's hope the turnovers decline. If we are still having this discussion two weeks from now, then things need to be addressed in terms of player positions/personnel.
Was AC overrated in the preseason polls?
I went to the game and I was very surprised at PC, they really looked good as compared to last year. They were very aggressive, getting after the ball and playing real good defense. Got to play more team ball on offense and pass the ball more to get open shot instead of trying to score for self. They will be the team to beat if they keep improving. I enjoyed watching them last night.
[COLOR="Blue"]Well I think PC did good, Congratulations Guys!
keep it up =][/COLOR]
It looked to me like Pike Central was just too athletic for Allen Central. However, it is tough in the beginning to transition from football to basketball. The rebs should improve as the year goes along.
coach thompson is doing a pretty good job. But it's still early to tell how good my Hawks can be. great win boys