Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Panther Touchdown Club
Attention all Alumni and Supporters of the Panther program. This past Tuesday night the Panther Touchdown club was founded and set into motion. This club is a non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to raise money for the football program at Pike High. Over the past few years the booster club has been handcuffed by the school system as far as fundraising goes. Such harmless ideas such as quilt raffles and even the times when we can fundraise so that we wont interfere with another sport have been shot down by the site based council for one reason or another. We felt like that in order to obtain the type of resources it takes to give these kids a first class football program which is what they deserve. We were going to have to get away from the school system so we can raise funds for these boys when and however we saw fit. We want to renergize the community. Get more involvement from the countless alumni that over the years have felt not wanted by a School System that seems to be ashamed of its football program and the decades of tradition that it posseses. Were not trying to go against the school booster club but rather work in concert with them to do the things that they arent able to do. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday November 25 at 7:00 at the Huffman Building across from Chiricos Resturant in Pikeville. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
This is great. Pikeville people have to take the program back for it to be great again.
The program has really went down the drain the last decade in a half
belfryrocks Wrote:The program has really went down the drain the last decade in a half

Didn't take long for Belfry fans to poison the thread...Pikeville has had many good teams in the last 15 years.Confusedhh:
If you don't have any knowledge about Pikeville please stick to the Belfry/West Virginia threads.
Come to think of it PLEASE Belfry fans stay off this thread.
I would like to see the town get back into their local team like back in the day. Let's be the next Odessa Permian
Good to see some people starting to come together. We've been doing some to help, but this should help us do more.
jetpilot Wrote:Didn't take long for Belfry fans to poison the thread...Pikeville has had many good teams in the last 15 years.Confusedhh:
If you don't have any knowledge about Pikeville please stick to the Belfry/West Virginia threads.
After reading the first post in the thread, I had intentions of giving congradulations for the idea and effort. But the remark about "Belfry fans" (lumping all together about every remark) has changed my mind. I hope all things Pukeville sink, its people like you that turn fans away from cheering for them. The backhanded comment about "Belfry/West Virginia" sound more like whinning than anything. Pukeville has just slacked in their recruiting over the years. There's better schools to choose from than Pukeville now. This is an open thread and all are fair game. I have always hoped Pukeville would succeed in their respectful class, not anymore.:p
Crossbones Wrote:After reading the first post in the thread, I had intentions of giving congradulations for the idea and effort. But the remark about "Belfry fans" (lumping all together about every remark) has changed my mind. I hope all things Pukeville sink, its people like you that turn fans away from cheering for them. The backhanded comment about "Belfry/West Virginia" sound more like whinning than anything. Pukeville has just slacked in their recruiting over the years. There's better schools to choose from than Pukeville now. This is an open thread and all are fair game. I have always hoped Pukeville would succeed in their respectful class, not anymore.:p
How will we go on without you?
Panther Thunder Wrote:How will we go on without you?
I'm sure you will go on staying an average team at best, just with one less fan.:p
Crossbones Wrote:I'm sure you will go on staying an average team at best, just with one less fan.:p

Good riddance, and again, Belfry fans please quit stinking up the thread.
Pikeville stinks up thinks just fine by themselves. :p Having anything Belfry associated with them only makes them better. Smile Another thing. Belfryrocks only stated what has been said by a lot of Pikeville fans lately and he takes the flack for it.:confused:
jetpilot Wrote:Didn't take long for Belfry fans to poison the thread...Pikeville has had many good teams in the last 15 years.Confusedhh:

Nobody poisoned the thread. He who is without sin, cast the first stone. Pikeville can directly attribute the '89 championship to the Pikeville/West Virginia connection. Steve Bailey was one of the best backs to play around here,and he did it for one year at Pikeville. Enough about all of that. It is great that there will be some outside influence in the money-raising aspect of Pikeville football. However, talent on the field is what wins games and ultimately will pull Pikeville out of these doldrums and back toward the top of single A. A big dose of patience and reality by the people in charge of the Touchdown Club will make a difference. Having the fundraising in place will be vital to the team and program to assist them when Pikeville's next run of great talent comes along. It will happen someday, but I do not see it in the next 5 years. I honestly wish the Panthers Good Luck tonight and in the future. Pike County football needs a strong, state-title contending Panther program.
bucslover68 Wrote:Nobody poisoned the thread. He who is without sin, cast the first stone. Pikeville can directly attribute the '89 championship to the Pikeville/West Virginia connection. Steve Bailey was one of the best backs to play around here,and he did it for one year at Pikeville. Enough about all of that. It is great that there will be some outside influence in the money-raising aspect of Pikeville football. However, talent on the field is what wins games and ultimately will pull Pikeville out of these doldrums and back toward the top of single A. A big dose of patience and reality by the people in charge of the Touchdown Club will make a difference. Having the fundraising in place will be vital to the team and program to assist them when Pikeville's next run of great talent comes along. It will happen someday, but I do not see it in the next 5 years. I honestly wish the Panthers Good Luck tonight and in the future. Pike County football needs a strong, state-title contending Panther program.

We have heard patience for the last several years. There is tons of talent at PHS. It's not being utilized. The people who started the new club know it. And with all due respect to you, Belfry fans are not qualified to have an opinion on the level of talent at PHS. But again, this thread is not about Belfry but unfortunately will continue to be hijacked by overzealous Belfry fans (not you). I agree with the rest of your post though.
jetpilot Wrote:We have heard patience for the last several years. There is tons of talent at PHS. It's not being utilized. The people who started the new club know it. And with all due respect to you, Belfry fans are not qualified to have an opinion on the level of talent at PHS. But again, this thread is not about Belfry but unfortunately will continue to be hijacked by overzealous Belfry fans (not you). I agree with the rest of your post though.

Gotcha. I hope all goes well and the Panthers get back to where they belong.
jetpilot Wrote:We have heard patience for the last several years. There is tons of talent at PHS. It's not being utilized. The people who started the new club know it. And with all due respect to you, Belfry fans are not qualified to have an opinion on the level of talent at PHS. But again, this thread is not about Belfry but unfortunately will continue to be hijacked by overzealous Belfry fans (not you). I agree with the rest of your post though.
If you would have said that at the beginning, I would have completely agreed with you and wished Pikeville the best of luck. But the tongue in cheek comments about "Belfry Fans" was just as over the line as belfryrocks "going down the drain" comment.:dontthink
Crossbones Wrote:If you would have said that at the beginning, I would have completely agreed with you and wished Pikeville the best of luck. But the tongue in cheek comments about "Belfry Fans" was just as over the line as belfryrocks "going down the drain" comment.:dontthink

We should all just get along and pull for each other. There are a lot of good people in both these communities and I can see the day when both Be;fry and Pikeville play for a state title in back-to-back games.
bucslover68 Wrote:We should all just get along and pull for each other. There are a lot of good people in both these communities and I can see the day when both Be;fry and Pikeville play for a state title in back-to-back games.
I can agree as I stated before. I always rooted and cheered for Pikeville.
^^^I agree with bucslover and crossbones. Sorry for the tone but frustration is high, lol...
jetpilot Wrote:^^^I agree with bucslover and crossbones. Sorry for the tone but frustration is high, lol...
My apoligies to you also for my tone. I can totally understand the frustration. My daughter played for the middle school basketball team. When you are used to winning and things get tough and winning doesn't come so easy. Frustration comes. Pikeville is used to winning and will be through the valley soon enough.:Thumbs:
Crossbones Wrote:My apoligies to you also for my tone. I can totally understand the frustration. My daughter played for the middle school basketball team. When you are used to winning and things get tough and winning doesn't come so easy. Frustration comes. Pikeville is used to winning and will be through the valley soon enough.:Thumbs:

Although I am a Pirate fan, I have been a Pikeville fan too, and I live in Pikeville. My two sisters graduated from Pikeville. Pikeville's loss to Beechwood in '99, still ranks as the most heartbreaking I have encountered as a high school football fan. I think it is a real achievable goal for the Panthers to get back to that level that the '99 team was at, and it could be done in a relatively short amount of time.
Crossbones Wrote:My apoligies to you also for my tone. I can totally understand the frustration. My daughter played for the middle school basketball team. When you are used to winning and things get tough and winning doesn't come so easy. Frustration comes. Pikeville is used to winning and will be through the valley soon enough.:Thumbs:

It's all good. Let me just say this - Belfry would not put up with losing for one second. Pikeville is getting that attitude back.
bucslover68 Wrote:Although I am a Pirate fan, I have been a Pikeville fan too and I live in Pikeville. My two sisters graduated from Pikeville. Pikeville's loss to Beechwood in '99, still ranks as the most heartbreaking I have encountered as a high school football fan. I think it is a real achievable goal for the Panthers to get back to that level that the '99 team was at, and it could be done in a relatively short amount of time.
As jetpilot stated. Pikeville is full of talent (great talent) but is not being utilized to its full potential. I also feel the exitement level from the fans, players and school is not at the level Pikeville is used too. Kids walking the halls would rather play xbox than football. It is becoming a trend at all area schools IMO.
jetpilot Wrote:It's all good. Let me just say this - Belfry would not put up with losing for one second. Pikeville is getting that attitude back.
That's what it takes to win. If it talks like a winner, walks like a winner... Then its a winner. I always respected Pikeville a little for their arrogance. They made you respect them. They seemed to have lost a little bit of their swagger over the last couple of years. That's what they are lacking IMO
i dont really see how lack of funding has hurt the football program. lack of heart, desire to play for certain coaches, school pride instead of self interest from coaches and players and parents. the program will not be very good again till you get back to taking pride in what you do and put team in front of individual awards.