Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Spirit
Belfry fans are not nearly as vocal as they were a few years ago, but noone will ever have a bone to pick with their turnout. It has been interesting to watch the Belfry fanbase's changes over the past 10 years.

1998-2001: More hostile, large and loud student section that didn't always behave in the best manner of sportsmanship, expectations to win regional championship, and hopes to compete for State Title. Right in midst of the "Regional Title Curse" where it seemed Pirates couldn't get over the hump.

2002-2004: The last days of Vipperman. 2002 started it with Jonah Caudill's Senior year and Doug Howard's Sophomore year. This began the trend of dueling feature backs and undersized and quick defenses which carried into the Doug/David Championship teams. This was the highest point of Belfry's fanbase as the novelty of having that dominant team with "State Championship Contender" easily evident brought fans out in record numbers. This, coupled with the nostalgia of Death Valley's final games, culminated in 2004 with two of the most unbelievable high school settings I have ever witnessed with the Pburg and Russell games.

2005-present: The CAM era. Thanks to the improved facilities and parking Belfry fans have seen the evolution of tailgating and the comforts of a stadium designed for hospitatlity moreso than intimidation. With the nostalgia of the first State Titles done with alot of bandwagon fans have dropped off, and other fans have became more complacent. Belfry has had their moments though. The "terrible towells" last year(which I think needs a return this weekend!), the 2007 Belfry/JC game, etc... but by and large Belfry's fanbase has became more docile but much more hospitable and reflective of what a Champion should look like.
I have only seen Belfry play a couple of times in football, baseball and basketball. I have seen their posts on here for a couple of years. I can not imagine a more rabid (in a good way) fan base in the whole state. They support every sport with the same intensity and great school sport.
If...Then Wrote:Neither is Pikeville. Belfry fans should take notice that Belfry's "TIME" could end soon. Yet they still have the best spirit around

You my friend must not have seen our middle school in action the last couple of years.
Powell co had alot of fans turn out to the games this year. Noticed a big difference from previous years.
Big Willie Wrote:You my friend must not have seen our middle school in action the last couple of years.

Yea, on Pike County teams. They got beat by Johnson Central. Which BHS plays every year. This years 8th grade is just bigger than everyone else

Pburg could contend with them
I'm sorry i might be a lil biased but the JC and CovCath game in 06 was by far the loudest game i have ever been to/seen. I played in this game and we had to call 2 time outs just because we couldnt hear the qb, when he checked off. No joke im not being sarcastic u could actually feel like vibrations in the ground. By far the best atmosphere i have ever been in, when we ran out of the tent with the music, smoke, cannon, and the 60 yard fan tunnel, let alone the thousands of fans shew i get chills just thinking about it.......GOOD TIMES even tho we lost.....LOL
If...Then Wrote:Yea, on Pike County teams. They got beat by Johnson Central. Which BHS plays every year. This years 8th grade is just bigger than everyone else

Historically, Belfry doesn't win a ton in Jr. High, because they usually lack hold backs, but when they get to High School the developmental process is unreal.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry fans are not nearly as vocal as they were a few years ago, but noone will ever have a bone to pick with their turnout. It has been interesting to watch the Belfry fanbase's changes over the past 10 years.

1998-2001: More hostile, large and loud student section that didn't always behave in the best manner of sportsmanship, expectations to win regional championship, and hopes to compete for State Title. Right in midst of the "Regional Title Curse" where it seemed Pirates couldn't get over the hump.

2002-2004: The last days of Vipperman. 2002 started it with Jonah Caudill's Senior year and Doug Howard's Sophomore year. This began the trend of dueling feature backs and undersized and quick defenses which carried into the Doug/David Championship teams. This was the highest point of Belfry's fanbase as the novelty of having that dominant team with "State Championship Contender" easily evident brought fans out in record numbers. This, coupled with the nostalgia of Death Valley's final games, culminated in 2004 with two of the most unbelievable high school settings I have ever witnessed with the Pburg and Russell games.

2005-present: The CAM era. Thanks to the improved facilities and parking Belfry fans have seen the evolution of tailgating and the comforts of a stadium designed for hospitatlity moreso than intimidation. With the nostalgia of the first State Titles done with alot of bandwagon fans have dropped off, and other fans have became more complacent. Belfry has had their moments though. The "terrible towells" last year(which I think needs a return this weekend!), the 2007 Belfry/JC game, etc... but by and large Belfry's fanbase has became more docile but much more hospitable and reflective of what a Champion should look like.

Awesome post...I have to agree with you on that. This Friday will be cold, but Belfry will turn out in full force for the Russell game! I'm driving in from Lexington for this game as I am for all the playoff games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Panther Thunder Wrote:Historically, Belfry doesn't win a ton in Jr. High, because they usually lack hold backs, but when they get to High School the developmental process is unreal.

Yes it is unreal. Belfry works their players hard in hope of another State Championship so alot quit that move up from Middle School. It used to be just Fun, after that its time to crack down
Please stay on topic
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You know it's Belfry, haha.
BelfryPride Wrote:Please stay on topic

Who and What?
If...Then Wrote:Yea, on Pike County teams. They got beat by Johnson Central. Which BHS plays every year. This years 8th grade is just bigger than everyone else

The first time they played JC it went into overtime.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:I agree;BELFRY.When you go there it ALL overwelms you.It's like one of those Texas highschool football towns you see on television.
THANX!Cool
Belfry0304 Wrote:You know it's Belfry, haha.

I'd have to agree.
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:South Floyd has the worst...we were lucky to get 20 students to come to a game.

Belfry is the best by far. I think the worst are SF, Betsy Lane, (?) Magoffin and Powell.
Pike Central need some : (
Belfry by far is the best.

Prestonsburg has a good fan base---well in my opinion.