Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massey Strength of Schedule Rankings
I've been reading in a lot of posts about everbody's strength of schedule on here and some team's schedules are ridiculed where others are praised. The Massey rating sysytem is the only site(that I know of) that actually rates strength of schedule so I decided to list the teams that have followers on here. Below is the list of teams and where they rank according to the Massey Ratings out of 227 teams. I apologize in advance if I've left out any teams.

South Floyd- 226
Betsy Layne- 225
Paintsville- 223
Allen Central- 222
Powell County- 221
Phelps- 220
Magoffin County- 218
Jackson County- 217
Pike County Central- 215
Morgan County- 212
Jenkins- 211
Fairview- 204
Rowan County- 203
Harlan- 202
Casey County- 198
Williamsburg- 197
West Carter- 196
Estill County- 195
Shelby Valley- 194
Pineville- 193
Lewis County-192
Sheldon Clark- 187
Bath County- 186
Lynn Camp- 185
McCreary Central- 178
Wayne County- 176
Prestonsburg- 172
Hazard- 171
East Ridge- 169
Knott County Central- 168
Belfry- 167
Russell- 160
Leslie County- 156
Boyd County- 155
Harlan County- 153
Letcher Central- 151
Clay County- 148
Perry Central- 144
Pikeville- 143
Campbellsville- 138
Taylor County- 137
Corbin- 127
Somerset- 123
Middlesboro- 122
Raceland- 108
Greenup County- 106
North Laurel- 104
Lawrence County- 103
East Carter-100
Breathitt County- 96
Rockcastle County- 94
Ashland- 86
Bell County- 84
Whitley County-80
Montgomery County- 79
South Laurel- 77
Knox Central- 76
Johnson Central-42
Mercer County- 34
Woodford County- 28

What does everyone think about the Massey Rankings?
Great post that settles the issue on Sheldon Clark and Belfry schedule strength
yea it does sc got the weaker schedule.
Coach Booth Wrote:I've been reading in a lot of posts about everbody's strength of schedule on here and some team's schedules are ridiculed where others are praised. The Massey rating sysytem is the only site(that I know of) that actually rates strength of schedule so I decided to list the teams that have followers on here. Below is the list of teams and where they rank according to the Massey Ratings out of 227 teams. I apologize in advance if I've left out any teams.

South Floyd- 226
Betsy Layne- 225
Paintsville- 223
Allen Central- 222
Powell County- 221
Phelps- 220
Magoffin County- 218
Jackson County- 217
Pike County Central- 215
Morgan County- 212
Jenkins- 211
Fairview- 204
Rowan County- 203
Harlan- 202
Casey County- 198
Williamsburg- 197
West Carter- 196
Estill County- 195
Shelby Valley- 194
Pineville- 193
Lewis County-192
Sheldon Clark- 187
Bath County- 186
Lynn Camp- 185
McCreary Central- 178
Wayne County- 176
Prestonsburg- 172
Hazard- 171
East Ridge- 169
Belfry- 167
Russell- 160
Leslie County- 156
Boyd County- 155
Harlan County- 153
Letcher Central- 151
Clay County- 148
Perry Central- 144
Pikeville- 143
Campbellsville- 138
Taylor County- 137
Corbin- 127
Somerset- 123
Middlesboro- 122
Raceland- 108
Greenup County- 106
North Laurel- 104
Lawrence County- 103
East Carter-100
Breathitt County- 96
Rockcastle County- 94
Ashland- 86
Bell County- 84
Whitley County-80
Montgomery County- 79
South Laurel- 77
Knox Central- 76
Johnson Central-42
Mercer County- 34
Woodford County- 28

Guess this puts to rest some of the finger pointing that JCHS does not play anyone. They have already beat Breathitt County and Woodford County on the road.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
cuppett777 Wrote:yea it does sc got the weaker schedule.

i dont see how these rankings mean anything because SC and BHS have played the same caliber of teams up to this point in the season and will through out the rest of the season the only real test for any of these two teams are about the same in Bell Co. for SC and JC for belfry... if they revese the scheduling the teams outcome would be exactly the same IMO
IntheZone Wrote:i dont see how these rankings mean anything because SC and BHS have played the same caliber of teams up to this point in the season and will through out the rest of the season the only real test for any of these two teams are about the same in Bell Co. for SC and JC for belfry... if they revese the scheduling the teams outcome would be exactly the same IMO

Yeah but you have to look the Massey Ratings are CRAP!!!
BatCat11 Wrote:Yeah but you have to look the Massey Ratings are CRAP!!!

Very true they had SC ranked low in the top ten before the season started!!!
IntheZone Wrote:Very true they had SC ranked low in the top ten before the season started!!!

These Ratings are crap untill the playoffs
massey ratings = boo
qbdad2011 Wrote:massey ratings = boo

QB dads when are we going to get the stats updated on khsaa??
One thing you aren't considering: When Belfry and SC play, whoever loses has theoretically played a tougher schedule (at least for that night) than the team who won. This artificially inflates the schedule strength of everyone who plays Belfry and JCHS. Tongue

None of this matters right now in the quest to see who's better between SCHS and Belfry. We'll find out later this month. Just be patient and shut your pie holes, because bragging earns you nothing but enmity.
I think these ratings are stupid. If I'm not mistaken its computer generated.
I didn't think the Sheldon Clark fans would enjoy the Massey system.
Below is a bio of Ken Massey.

Ken Massey is the computer ratings analyst for HighSchoolSports.net. Ken is a math professor at Carson Newman College in TN, and has been providing football rankings since 1995. In 1999, Ken was asked by SEC commissioner Roy Kramer to add his ratings to the BCS Formula, which chooses the participants for the NCAA Division 1 National Championship game. This same computer algorithm is used to calculate HighSchoolSports.net's Massey Ratings for high school boys varsity football across the country.
SOS really means nothing...it's who is walking out of PaPa Johns holding the hardware!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think rating High Schools is crap anyway. They are very unfair, due to every school has so many teams in their District, that they have to play every year.
BelfryPride Wrote:SOS really means nothing...it's who is walking out of PaPa Johns holding the hardware!!!

If you played 6 games outside of your district which consist of, Phelps, Jackson, Morgan, Madison Southern, South Floyd, and Betsy Layne it would make a huge difference. When you finally had to play someone tough it would be a culture shock! :Thumbs:
[quote=Coach Booth]I didn't think the Sheldon Clark fans would enjoy the Massey system.[/quot

Why are you continuously dissing anyone from Sheldon Clark or anythign sheldon Clark does?? If anyone form BGR says anythign negative about JC you automatically assume that its a SC fan. Thats getting annoying pretty quick.
THOMCAT Wrote:Guess this puts to rest some of the finger pointing that JCHS does not play anyone. They have already beat Breathitt County and Woodford County on the road.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Yes it does! They are a 5A school that schedule non-district games against (3)3A teams and (2) 1A teams. Oh wait....they had a 3A team cancel so they moved up a class to play a 6A team that is still winless.
Pink Flamingo Wrote:[quote=Coach Booth]I didn't think the Sheldon Clark fans would enjoy the Massey system.[/quot

Why are you continuously dissing anyone from Sheldon Clark or anythign sheldon Clark does?? If anyone form BGR says anythign negative about JC you automatically assume that its a SC fan. Thats getting annoying pretty quick.
Amen
The Guru Wrote:Yes it does! They are a 5A school that schedule non-district games against (3)3A teams and (2) 1A teams. Oh wait....they had a 3A team cancel so they moved up a class to play a 6A team that is still winless.

All of those 3A teams, 6A school and 1 of the A teams are better than the other A team on the schedule....JC has a tough time finding games....I've seen it first hand. They just have to play who will play them...also, their district is tough too. 3 are and probably 4 of the teams in that district are in the top 10 in 5A.
SoS is useless.
First, you can't control the scheds of the other teams in you district or how many games they win.
Second, you don't know when a team might make a jump or nose-dive. Was Dayton expected to go from 8-2 to 0-6?

Finally, Belfry & East Ridge are right about the same place. What does that mean?
Nothing.
Pink Flamingo Wrote:[quote=Coach Booth]I didn't think the Sheldon Clark fans would enjoy the Massey system.[/quot

When have I continuously dissed the Sheldon Clark fans or program? I've only made the assumption that you are a Sheldon Clark fan once. Was I correct? I've not made any pot shots at the SC program that I know of. Please refresh my memory because I don't think I have. I've not posted much in any of the Sheldon Clark threads unlike your little stat daddy who is almost always taking shots at the JC program.
well i guess that this is proof that belfry is overrated playin teams like Lawrence co., east ridge, shelbly valley, pikeville, magoffin co., pike co. ce., i mean no offense to these teams but they r just not at the top of the football game. cant wait to see JCHS vs. Belfry
IRISH4 Wrote:All of those 3A teams, 6A school and 1 of the A teams are better than the other A team on the schedule....JC has a tough time finding games....I've seen it first hand. They just have to play who will play them...also, their district is tough too. 3 are and probably 4 of the teams in that district are in the top 10 in 5A.
What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?
So you all tell me......which is it? Are the better 4A, 5A & 6A teams too scared of the Eagle's or do they just not want to play down? I can't believe that with the amount of money JCHS has paid teams to play them that these other programs would turn them down. You have been there what......3-4 months? How much of the scheduling have they let you be a part of? Or is it what you have been told?
That first part was your crack at their weak schedule....This is the end of the 2yr contracts so I've seen the toughness of scheduling....there are still two open vaccancies on the schedule as of right now and I know that Letcher Central has been contacted for a game and also Highlands has inquired about playing a game along with some bowl committee in Louisville. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but is it fair to have to travel half way across the state to fill a schedule? The teams JC has on their schedule are GOOD football teams that all bring in different aspects that will improve their overall game week in and week out. If you look at some of the teams that they have beaten...

Breathitt Co. - a solid 3A team (in the top 10) on the road to open the season in their own bowl...that's like two knocks against you and if you've been there you know it's tough to win a game.
St. Thomas More - Have only lost 1 or 2 games in two years and wanted to fill a vaccancy in the JC schedule. (Have an enrollment well over 1,500)
Bryan Station - A top 10 team in 5A that is moving up to 6A next year with several D1 athletes and were much improved from last year due to Fayette Co. redistricting.
Shelby Co. - A very good, passing team in 6A. They still have yet to win a game, but two of their better players were injured during the JC game and one happend to be a top 100 QB in the nation. Scheduled in place of Shawnee...would've left only 9 games if not played which is an injustice to the seniors.
Woodford Co. - Also a top 10 team in 5A that has a QB (Duckworth) that is ranked tops in the state. Very accurate passer and runs an efficient offense...won this game on the road (3hr bus trip)
Paintsville - A solid class A team that should win their district and is played in the annual Apple Bowl.

If you can discount any credibility to that schedule that they have faced then I want to hear it....
VHSL-helper Wrote:SoS is useless.
First, you can't control the scheds of the other teams in you district or how many games they win.
Second, you don't know when a team might make a jump or nose-dive. Was Dayton expected to go from 8-2 to 0-6?

Finally, Belfry & East Ridge are right about the same place. What does that mean?
Nothing.

Sounds like they have close to the same strength of schedule except Belfry is winning.
Coach Booth Wrote:I've been reading in a lot of posts about everbody's strength of schedule on here and some team's schedules are ridiculed where others are praised. The Massey rating sysytem is the only site(that I know of) that actually rates strength of schedule so I decided to list the teams that have followers on here. Below is the list of teams and where they rank according to the Massey Ratings out of 227 teams. I apologize in advance if I've left out any teams.

South Floyd- 226
Betsy Layne- 225
Paintsville- 223
Allen Central- 222
Powell County- 221
Phelps- 220
Magoffin County- 218
Jackson County- 217
Pike County Central- 215
Morgan County- 212
Jenkins- 211
Fairview- 204
Rowan County- 203
Harlan- 202
Casey County- 198
Williamsburg- 197
West Carter- 196
Estill County- 195
Shelby Valley- 194
Pineville- 193
Lewis County-192
Sheldon Clark- 187
Bath County- 186
Lynn Camp- 185
McCreary Central- 178
Wayne County- 176
Prestonsburg- 172
Hazard- 171
East Ridge- 169
Belfry- 167
Russell- 160
Leslie County- 156
Boyd County- 155
Harlan County- 153
Letcher Central- 151
Clay County- 148
Perry Central- 144
Pikeville- 143
Campbellsville- 138
Taylor County- 137
Corbin- 127
Somerset- 123
Middlesboro- 122
Raceland- 108
Greenup County- 106
North Laurel- 104
Lawrence County- 103
East Carter-100
Breathitt County- 96
Rockcastle County- 94
Ashland- 86
Bell County- 84
Whitley County-80
Montgomery County- 79
South Laurel- 77
Knox Central- 76
Johnson Central-42
Mercer County- 34
Woodford County- 28

It is evident that Woodford, Mercer, and Johnson Central play the toughest schedule if you go by this.