Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured Player for Shelby County?
Anyone have a name on the kid that got taken off the field on the stretcher tonight?????
The player taken off the field was number 85 Cody Bland
did they find out what happened?????
Cody Bland a senior broken leg 2 places. QB Brandon Cresap sophomore possible ACL will know more in the morning after x-rays and MRI #77 Sr. ORT Matt Spencer sprained ankle, #34 Deparis Jones MLB Sr. sprained knee. SC got some bad breaks with injuries in this one but it was a good game neither team quit until it was over my hats off to JC GOOD football team. Good luck the rest of the season.
I hope that Shelby County and their Football coach enjoys the $5,000.00 dollars they got for going to Johnson Central and playing this football game a week before their district begins.

They not only lost their startin quarterback for the year with a torn ACL/MCL, they possibly lost four other starters due to injuries. I know that injuries are a part of the game, but why not schedule someone to play at home and split the gate money? Why travel 3 1/2 hours by school bus to play a team that is big and physical up front and will run it down your throat on every play? If nobody wanted to travel and play you at home, here's a suggestion, take a week off and go and watch Scott County play or a future district opponent to scout?

It just looks like that Shelby County put their season at risk for 5,000.00 dollars, I hope they spend that money well
There were alot of grumblings about this deal when it first came out. Now it could possibly cost SC what could have been a pretty good seaon. I really hope the other players all get healthy and pick up the torch for their fallen fellow teammates and do the very best they can. Taking last night off and preparing for Scott County from what i was told was the majority vote of the assistant coaches as well. But i guess they got dollar signs in there eyes. Maybe they will think about the tears in the QBs eyes after last night before making the same decision again.
I hope the best for these kids
I really hope that Shelby County and their HEAD COACH enjoys the money that they received for this game.
Navajo4life Wrote:I really hope that Shelby County and their HEAD COACH enjoys the money that they received for this game.

Injuries can happen in any game. Implying that a coach would want money at the expense of injuring a player is absurd.
Not saying that at all!!!! All I know, is that he could have had the option of staying at home and playing a home game and splitting the gate money with a team from around the area, but he chose to travel 3 1/2 hours and take $5,000.00 dollars or not even play at all....... My point is this, why even play if you can't get a home game and go and scout other teams in your district. I would NEVER say that a coach would take money at a risk of injury to a player
Navajo4life Wrote:Not saying that at all!!!! All I know, is that he could have had the option of staying at home and playing a home game and splitting the gate money with a team from around the area, but he chose to travel 3 1/2 hours and take $5,000.00 dollars or not even play at all....... My point is this, why even play if you can't get a home game and go and scout other teams in your district. I would NEVER say that a coach would take money at a risk of injury to a player

What teams were willing to to play at Shelby County?
I hope the players are quick to recover and wish SC the best. But geez, why is everyone whining? These same injuries could have happened in the Scott County game as well. I see a Shelby Co. coach who not only could get $5,000 for his program, but could get some very good game experience for his players going into the District games. It just so worked out that the injury bug hit Shelby Co. hard. Would anyone be complaining if Shelby Co. had not suffered any injuries but benefitted from playing this game?? I'm sure they wouldn't. For goodness sakes, Shelby Co. is a 6A school and JC is a 5A school. It isn't like he led his team to a slaughter or something. This game benefitted JC by making them dig deep for the win and sets them up for a good district game against Woodford Co. It could have done the same for Shelby Co. That is just the way it works sometimes. Besides, it isn't as if Shelby Co. was undefeated or anything even though they are a very good team. If JC had suffered several key injuries I'm sure fans would be saying the same, but that is part of the game. You only get better by playing good teams. That is what SC's coach was trying to do and I don't blame him considering the district foes he has to contend with this season. So get behind your coach and team and just accept that things happen sometimes and there isn't any blame for it. Good luck to Shelby Co. and their players the rest of the season. (BTW, bringing in a cupcake team to play Shelby Co. at home would still not have guaranteed that SC would not have suffered injuries and would certainly not have benefitted them for a tough district game the following week!!!)
I'm not saying that he could have scheduled a cupcake team, but let's be reasonable about this, there are not to many teams that travel 3 1/2 hours to play a football game on one days notice. That's all I'm saying, I know injuries could have happened if Shelby played at home or the following week, but why jump on a school bus and travel 3 1/2 hours each way to play a game that it does not benefit you? He wanted good competition, he's going to get it in the next few weeks when he has to play Scott County, Louisville Manual, Madison Central, George Rogers Clark and Oldham County
Navajo4life Wrote:I'm not saying that he could have scheduled a cupcake team, but let's be reasonable about this, there are not to many teams that travel 3 1/2 hours to play a football game on one days notice. That's all I'm saying, I know injuries could have happened if Shelby played at home or the following week, but why jump on a school bus and travel 3 1/2 hours each way to play a game that it does not benefit you? He wanted good competition, he's going to get it in the next few weeks when he has to play Scott County, Louisville Manual, Madison Central, George Rogers Clark and Oldham County

3 1/2 hours travel. Bell County gets criticized for not playing a stronger schedule. They had to travel last year that much or farther for several games to complete their schedule. This year those teams have to travel to play us on Log Mountain. Welcome to the world of mountain football teams. Travel is a huge part of the deal! To get good competition would mean trips of that distance or more!
Navajo4life Wrote:I'm not saying that he could have scheduled a cupcake team, but let's be reasonable about this, there are not to many teams that travel 3 1/2 hours to play a football game on one days notice. That's all I'm saying, I know injuries could have happened if Shelby played at home or the following week, but why jump on a school bus and travel 3 1/2 hours each way to play a game that it does not benefit you? He wanted good competition, he's going to get it in the next few weeks when he has to play Scott County, Louisville Manual, Madison Central, George Rogers Clark and Oldham County

You never did answer the question that Chuck Taylor asked. Who else was willing to go to Shelby Co. and play? The only teams that could do that would just about have to be one of the schools that were playing another Jefferson Co. public school that had their game cancelled too. That pretty much limits the options to just a very small handful to pick from.

I think both coaches should be commended for not ducking out to try to find a cup cake opponent. Johnson Central had the very same issue at hand with them having to play the biggest game on their district schedule next week as well with Woodford Co.

Speaking of one day's notice, I think that it worked out the very same for both teams on that as well.
From what I understand and was told, two schools, Anderson County and Bullitt East both offered to come to Shelby to play, but that Shelby had to split the gate with them and they turned it down....

Then do we not know if Johnson Central was willing to travel to Shelby County to play this game, they were scheduled to travel to Louisville, so why not travel to Shelby and play this game??
I don't know what happened nor what's going on between coaches and stuff but Johnson Central is a GOOD team, and a lot of teams play bigger and better teams to try and make their squads better. You can't assume thats what the coach was going after (money) unless you are the coach. I'm sure if he had it to take back and do it all over again he probably would. But you can have players injured in any game.

Sorry about the players hurt, hopefully they make a good recovery soon!
The player that broke his leg #85 will be having surgery today to put a rod in the leg. The QB #14 will most likley have surgery late this week after some swelling goes down. Just a little update for those that would like to know.
I would also like to say that JC has a very impressive athletic complex. The football field and stadium are top notch and I am sure the new baseball and softball fields will be the same. The fans were very nice and hospitable as well. My best to them and to JC's football team for the rest of the season.
Prayers from Harlan County for those two injured.
Football is a contact sport injuries happen no matter who you play. Some of the folks no here seems to be unhappy with the money? Heck I know of alot of schools that would be more than happy to get that for 1 game not matter who they play.

Hope those kids recover 100% but injuries are part of sports. For that matter you can get hurt getting off the bus at the game.
Hope those 2 boys recover fast...hate to see any children get hurt doing what they love.
Hats off to the coaching staff for making a good decision and not taking the easy way out. Best of luck to the injured players. Did the surgeries go well? Updates would be appreciated!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Hats off to the coaching staff for making a good decision and not taking the easy way out. Best of luck to the injured players. Did the surgeries go well? Updates would be appreciated!
#85 had surgery on his broken leg last week and is doing well. #14 QB is doing therapy and working on getting the swelling out of the knee and strengthening the knee and will have ACL/MCL surgery in about a week or two.
The injury bug has been tough on Shelby County but they are still fighting hard.