Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No shoulder pads during practice until August 1, 2008?
From what I hear the new rule is that no team will not be allowed to wear shoulder pads during practice until August 1, 2008. Only to be allowed to wear a helmet. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this, and wondering if it was true.
I dont think thats the rule. I think its just not FULL PADS allowed til Aug. 1
Yes this very true and apparently the high school coaches voted this in last season. I can't really figure out they would do this because with most teams playing a first scrimmage on the 15th or 16th it doesn't leave alot of time to get kids ready. Also this year the season starts a week later and then in 09 it will be two weeks later. Go figure !:devilflam
Ive seen teams go all out in just shoulder pads and helmets....Probally the reason for the rule..
The fact that so many people were having heat strokes and getting hurt last year also probably played a big part in the decision.
With the dead period just ending. Most teams don't start practice for a week. The rule used to be 10 days of practice before full pads. So I don't think its really much of a difference. If you were to start today you'd have to go 15 days until full pads.
10 days of practice or 10 practice days?? This greatly differs. 2 a days or 3 a days count as practice times. So if a team has practice at 7am, 11-1 on film and then 7-9 for more conditioning. Thats three practices, so after 3 days and the morning routine realisticly you can go to pads on the evening of the 4th day.
10-practice days
or
10 days of practice,, figure it up.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Now that you've brought that up, I may have been wrong. It may be 10 practices. I think we went helmets first week 2 a days. Then full pads second week 2 a days. Must have just been 10 practices. Should have thought that through a little more.

So you would lose 10 days of full pads practice. However, the season starts a week or 2 later, so I guess it evens out. What about schools like BC though who start back early, and will lose a week or two of 2-a-days in full pads.
I just read on KHSAA, this may be out dated and not in use anymore, but it said you can start wearing shoulder pads July 15th, but cannot go contact to the ground or anything.

This could be old though and out dated. But it's still posted on the website.
Two-A-Days only count as one practice and you are supposed to do them only every other day.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:10 days of practice or 10 practice days?? This greatly differs. 2 a days or 3 a days count as practice times. So if a team has practice at 7am, 11-1 on film and then 7-9 for more conditioning. Thats three practices, so after 3 days and the morning routine realisticly you can go to pads on the evening of the 4th day.
10-practice days
or
10 days of practice,, figure it up.
Beetle01 Wrote:Now that you've brought that up, I may have been wrong. It may be 10 practices. I think we went helmets first week 2 a days. Then full pads second week 2 a days. Must have just been 10 practices. Should have thought that through a little more.

So you would lose 10 days of full pads practice. However, the season starts a week or 2 later, so I guess it evens out. What about schools like BC though who start back early, and will lose a week or two of 2-a-days in full pads.

its always been 10 practice days at russell, then after the second week of 2adays its time for pads...i may be wrong though but thats the way its been in the past
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:its always been 10 practice days at russell, then after the second week of 2adays its time for pads...i may be wrong though but thats the way its been in the past

almost positive it was first week shorts and helmets. Second week full pads. Maybe not its been 8 years.
thats cause you cant get kids out of the house to do anything nowdays,we had 2 a days and some seasons 3 a days,full pads and contact from day 1 and never had any heat strokes or anything so go figure.:rockon:
CONTACT PRACTICE EQUIPMENT REMINDER
No football gear, other than a helmet, can be worn until the first allowable day for contact practice. The first date for contact practice (where anything other than the helmet may be worn) is August 1, unless school starts at a time to allow an earlier start. The chart below gives clear detail on when anything other than the helmet can be worn.
First date of School for Student Body/First allowable date for contact practice with any equipment other than a helmet
July 31 July 22
August 1 July 23
August 4 July 24
August 5 July 25
August 6 July 28
August 7 July 29
August 8 July 30
August 11 July 31
August 12 and later August 1
that means nothing but helmets, until aug 1
methodtothemadness Wrote:that means nothing but helmets, until aug 1

Not exactly! At Central we can go into pads on the 28th, because we start school on August 6th.
As the rule stated above, it varies from school to school depending upon the start time. But absolutely nothing besides a helmet it to be worn until you first date in pads. This is 100 percent fact. There have been times that shoulder pads from day one were permitted. There was a time when it was five in shorts then five in shells and then full gear. Times they are a changin'.
methodtothemadness Wrote:that means nothing but helmets, until aug 1
Campbellsville and Taylor County have already started with pads. They start school Aug. 4th so July 24th would be the start date for them.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

We get pads the 31st, which is Thursday here at Somerset. That is also our first 3-a-day practice.
yea i play for jenkins high school and we got helmets and shoulder pads.but we cant go live til aug. 1st
I think the boys need a little more conditioning before they get pads. If you can't handle it before pads then you don't need to be on the field.
Teams aren't allowed to be in shoulder pads till august 1st correct? Cuz if so Boyle County are already going in shoulder pads. I was searching the internet for football practices and came along this.http://amnews.mycapture.com/mycapture/fo...ubAlbums=0
well i just watched the news, and saw a certian coach admit he was on his 2nd or 3rd day of fullpad practice. And today is AUG.1
d10n Wrote:well i just watched the news, and saw a certian coach admit he was on his 2nd or 3rd day of fullpad practice. And today is AUG.1

It depends on when that school starts back in session.

Here is the rule... posted by Coach B in an earlier post:

CoachB Wrote:CONTACT PRACTICE EQUIPMENT REMINDER
No football gear, other than a helmet, can be worn until the first allowable day for contact practice. The first date for contact practice (where anything other than the helmet may be worn) is August 1, unless school starts at a time to allow an earlier start. The chart below gives clear detail on when anything other than the helmet can be worn.
First date of School for Student Body/First allowable date for contact practice with any equipment other than a helmet
July 31 July 22
August 1 July 23
August 4 July 24
August 5 July 25
August 6 July 28
August 7 July 29
August 8 July 30
August 11 July 31
August 12 and later August 1
Meaty Wrote:It depends on when that school starts back in session.

Here is the rule... posted by Coach B in an earlier post:

i know thier school does not start until aug. 25.
I know Middlesboro leaves tomorrow for camp in Maryville, TN. They have NOT been hitting in full pads, but Bell Co had there midnight madness this past Monday and were hitting in FULL pads! Was that a wrong thing for Bell Co to do?