Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds' Rotation Going with Young Arms
All signs from Reds spring training are that Cincinnati will begin the season with not one, but TWO young flamethrowers in the rotation. And here's the big shocker: neither of the two is named Homer Bailey! :eek: Instead, the youngsters are Johnny Cueto and Ed Volquez. The article is on http://www.cincinnati.com/reds.

Some people not familiar with Reds minor leaguers may not know much about these two guys, but both have been lights out all spring. Cueto has risen quickly through the Reds' system the last couple years. As for Volquez, if anyone remembers the trade a couple months ago that sent Josh Hamilton to Texas, Volquez is the guy the Reds got in return.

Both were mentioned in an article by ESPN's Jayson Stark as spring sensations. Also notes how a scout says the Reds' trade of Hamilton for Volquez was the best trade this winter...in the Reds' favor. The article is on http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index

So, Opening Day is only a little over a week away! What does everyone think about the Reds' new-look rotation?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I really like the young arms in this rotation. Valquez has looked dominant at times during Spring Training.
Let's hope they dont get traded like all the others.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:Let's hope they dont get traded like all the others.

I don't think you have to worry about that. As bad as the Reds' pitching has been in recent years, I believe the last thing they would do is trade pitching, especially guys that are good, young, and cheap.

The only concern I do have is with Dusty Baker. One of his criticisms in Chicago was that he ruined Kerry Wood and Mark Prior by overusing them. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but hopefully he treats these two guys with kid gloves, especially the 21-year-old Cueto.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think you have to worry about that. As bad as the Reds' pitching has been in recent years, I believe the last thing they would do is trade pitching, especially guys that are good, young, and cheap.

The only concern I do have is with Dusty Baker. One of his criticisms in Chicago was that he ruined Kerry Wood and Mark Prior by overusing them. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but hopefully he treats these two guys with kid gloves, especially the 21-year-old Cueto.
You got that right, Cowbell. Hopefully he has learned from the past and everyone upstairs will make sure he doesn't kill these guys like he did those. I am really surprised with the Cueto decision, especially when it pushed Homer out of the rotation. I prefer Cueto over Homer, but jus thought that with the added experience Homer has over him, that he would get the nod instead of Cueto. Anyone got anything solid on Bruce yet? Last word I got, he was going back to Louisville. Sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:You got that right, Cowbell. Hopefully he has learned from the past and everyone upstairs will make sure he doesn't kill these guys like he did those. I am really surprised with the Cueto decision, especially when it pushed Homer out of the rotation. I prefer Cueto over Homer, but jus thought that with the added experience Homer has over him, that he would get the nod instead of Cueto. Anyone got anything solid on Bruce yet? Last word I got, he was going back to Louisville. Sad

I never thought Cueto would make the rotation back in January, but the way he has pitched this spring I guess they couldn't deny him. Homer, on the other hand, has had a less-than-stellar spring.

As for Bruce, yes, he was definitely sent to Louisville. He had a decent, not great spring, and a quad injury set him back a little.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Looking back though, I'd take the Homer Bailey & Joey Votto for Joe Blanton deal. I think Bailey lacks maturity and I'm a little surprised to be honest. The jury's still out on both of them though and they have high ceilings.

If the young arms overachieve, this team has a chance to contende and win in 08. I'm excited more this season than usual because they're going with the young'uns instead of retreads like Kyle Lohse. I know Josh Fogg is there, but he's the 5th guy and only making the club because Belisle is struggling and has options.

Let's go Reds!
Homer is supposed to get the start tonite against the Jays on FSN at 7pm. May be the last chance we get to see him for awhile.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hope to see the Reds do good this season with their young rotation, they are already loaded on offense with Adam Dunn, Jr. Griffey, and up and coming star Brandon Phillips. I just with Josh Hamilton was still with the Reds! He was a great player.
Bailey has been sent to Triple A Louisville which is no surprise. Look for him to get the first call if Fogg stumbles or if there's an injury...
jammin' jamey Wrote:Bailey has been sent to Triple A Louisville which is no surprise. Look for him to get the first call if Fogg stumbles or if there's an injury...

Hopefully 10 years from now Homer will be able to look back and laugh about the spring of '08, when he was beaten out for a roster spot by Josh freakin' Fogg. Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Hopefully 10 years from Homer will be able to look back and laugh about the spring of '08, when he was beaten out for a roster spot by Josh freakin' Fogg. Big Grin

Smile Smile Smile
Bailey will be with the Reds before the end of they year.