Poll: Where should the regional Tourney be held?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Leave it at the Expo.
62.34%
Rotate to each District.
35.06%
Don't really care.
2.60%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why at the Expo?
What about like a playoff? The top teams get home court until the championship which is at the expo?
Who ever wins the 15th sure dont care to drive to Lexington. So why should the top dogs of the districts care to migrate to the Expo?
PC_You_Know Wrote:So you don't think it was a factor brought up when they had the idea of having it there, I would put money on it that someone brought that up.

Like someone said earlier, havin the region tourney at the Expo gives all the Pike County schools a home court advantage because it is in Pike County. The region tourney is played at the Expo because it is big enough to accomodate all the fans and it was thought to bring in more money. IDK if it has brought in more money or not. But I doubt home court advantage had anything to do with it. If you think back, how many teams in the last 10-15 years have won the region tourney on their home floor.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:If that is the case, why is the Sweet 16 always in Rupp? The Expo center gets teams ready for the showcase in my opinion. When they move the Sweet 16 to a high school gym, then get the regions back in one too.

Good point. Not only does it get them ready to play infront of a much bigger crowd in a bigger arena, it also gets them ready for the bigger floor. For those who don't know, the college floor is longer than high school, maybe a lil wider too.
blackcat_student Wrote:I'd love to have it at the high schools. I'd rather be crammed in like a bunch of sardines than be spread out. Thats where the atmosphere is at, and thats how you get the feel for the game.

There are some pretty good size gyms in the region that would have a much better atmosphere than say the Expo Center and fit only just under the Expo Center's capacity.

Example: Prestonsburg 4500, Pike County Central 4200, Johnson Central 3500, thats three pretty centralized locations that I would be much more suitable for a good atmosphere.

BRING IT BACK TO THE HIGH SCHOOLS!

I may be wrong but I find it very hard to believe that Pburg holds more than PC or JC. Allen Central is pretty darn big too.
I personally love the region at the Expo. And, not every school has the best parking or the best seating. And if the tournament did go back to the schools that is how it would be. A different school each year and not always a good outcome for the fans or players.
I Like it..gives the team a feel of what its like to play in a bigger arena such as Rupp
I think it would be an absolute injustice to have this type of facility in the 15th region and not utilize it... No other gym in the area gives the kids the kind of preparation for Rupp that the Expo does. I played in Rupp twice and it is not the same as playing on a hanging goal. All that space behind the goal makes shooting way different and the Expo does a great job of preparing our kids for that experience. Plus how can you argue against a higher average attendance. That in itself says that no one cares to make the drive.
Larry Legend Wrote:I think it would be an absolute injustice to have this type of facility in the 15th region and not utilize it... No other gym in the area gives the kids the kind of preparation for Rupp that the Expo does. I played in Rupp twice and it is not the same as playing on a hanging goal. All that space behind the goal makes shooting way different and the Expo does a great job of preparing our kids for that experience. Plus how can you argue against a higher average attendance. That in itself says that no one cares to make the drive.

That's what I said when we played at EKU. Aside from the bigger floor gettin the boys prepared you make a good point about the goals.
I think the Expo is a great enviroment and gives a big game feel to the tourny.
Redneck Wrote:I may be wrong but I find it very hard to believe that Pburg holds more than PC or JC. Allen Central is pretty darn big too.

Have a look for yourself...

http://www.khsaa.org/directory/
Batpuff Wrote:Well you know there is Martin and Lawrence Co that has to drive there as well and it is just not right if there not going to get there cut they would get if it was at one of the two schools turn.

I see your point but there are at least 5 or 6 other schools that would have them traveling farther. IMO leave the regional at the expo. its a great place for the tournament. Like someone else said its about as neutral as your going to find. And i've never liked the home court advantage in a district or regional. Just my opinion though.
I think it should def be at the expo.
I do like the feel of a packed high school gym, BUT ........ you can't go back to that system. It just isn't fair to the majority of schools in the 15th that don't have the size to host. There are only a handful of schools large enough to host the regional and that leaves most out. Plus, even those schools with larger gyms can't compete with the Expo on size. With the size of the Expo Center, there is NO REASON that anyone should not be able to see their team play and see them play in a comfortable setting. As for travel, yeah it is not centrally located, but I mean how long of a drive is it. The longest drive for a team is probably Lawrence and they can still get there as quick or quicker than they could Morehead when they were in the 16th. I have been to the 16th Regional at MSU and I can say that the comfort for the fans is much better at the Expo. But until the high schools can match what the Expo offers, WHY would anyone want to go back to the old system.

Plus the Rupp Arena feel of the site helps to prepare our regional winner for the Rupp experience.

I vote to stick with the Expo! The 45 minute drive is well worth it! Most every school is within an hour drive. And if ppl can't come out once a year and drive to Pikeville to support their team, then let them stay home!
Each school gets a share of NET profits from the regional tournament and The EXPO Center has returned RECORD $$$ to the schools in each of the past two years.

Hard to imagine any of the school administrators voting to move away from record money with the current financial crunch many of the schools are in.
Played on the home floor and won the region as a player. Watched a son win the region at the Expo as a parent.

Leave it at the Expo.
blackcat_student Wrote:Have a look for yourself...

http://www.khsaa.org/directory/

That may be right, it's just hard to believe...
I vote to have it at the Expo. My reasons...
1) It has much more comfortable seating and you don't have to feel 'packed like sardines', as others have said.
2) It prepares the kids for the experience of playing in a bigger arena for whatever team advances to Rupp.
3) It eliminates homecourt advantage by being on a neutral court. As others have mentioned, not every school has the facility to host the regional, so even on a rotating system those schools (Betsy Layne, Paintsville, etc.) would get left out. This is more fair.

I will say that I do think one drawback is the loss of that special kind of atmosphere you got from being in a packed gymnasium, but the feeling in the Expo each of the last two years for the championship game was pretty amazing too.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I guess I have watched or played in every 15th regional tournament since the early 80's and this is a no brainer to LEAVE THE TOURNEY AT THE EXPO.
The Expo is a wonderful facility...no doubt. However, I do not like having the Regional Tournament there. I agree with the posters who have stated that it is giving the Pike County teams a "home court" feel even though each school is given equal number of tickets.

My big problem with the Expo Center is simply the fact that they will not allow the fans on the floor to celebrate with their players. When Johnson Central won the tournament in 2006, the floor was roped off 3 minutes prior to the end of the game and the fans were not allowed to run onto the floor to be with the team. In a high school setting....as soon as that buzzer sounds the floor is covered with screaming fans hugging, high fiving and celebrating with their team. In my opinion, you are robbing these teams of that experience.

Put the Regional Tournament back on a rotation.
EagleMom Wrote:In a high school setting....as soon as that buzzer sounds the floor is covered with screaming fans hugging, high fiving and celebrating with their team. In my opinion, you are robbing these teams of that experience.

Put the Regional Tournament back on a rotation.
Can't run onto the floor at Rupp Arena to celebrate either...Should the sweet sixteen be moved???

Maybe it's just me, but I need a better reason to move it back to the schools, IMHO.
More Cowbell Wrote:I vote to have it at the Expo. My reasons...
1) It has much more comfortable seating and you don't have to feel 'packed like sardines', as others have said.
2) It prepares the kids for the experience of playing in a bigger arena for whatever team advances to Rupp.
3) It eliminates homecourt advantage by being on a neutral court. As others have mentioned, not every school has the facility to host the regional, so even on a rotating system those schools (Betsy Layne, Paintsville, etc.) would get left out. This is more fair.

I will say that I do think one drawback is the loss of that special kind of atmosphere you got from being in a packed gymnasium, but the feeling in the Expo each of the last two years for the championship game was pretty amazing too.
It was the best feeling as a fan I've ever had!!
You are lucky to have the expo.......Some people are never satisfied ...........
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Can't run onto the floor at Rupp Arena to celebrate either...Should the sweet sixteen be moved???

Maybe it's just me, but I need a better reason to move it back to the schools, IMHO.

Why not? Has there ever been a capacity crowd a Rupp Arena for the Sweet Sixteen? I kinda think not. There are plenty of large schools in the central part of the state that can host the sweet sixteen without having it at Rupp.
EagleMom Wrote:Why not? Has there ever been a capacity crowd a Rupp Arena for the Sweet Sixteen? I kinda think not. There are plenty of large schools in the central part of the state that can host the sweet sixteen without having it at Rupp.
I go every year and there is no high school gym in the untied states of America that could hold that crowd! There are usually at least 20,000+ at the championship games.
I would rather it be at the schools...there was nothing better than the 03-04 tourney at Prestonsburg HS...
EagleMom Wrote:Why not? Has there ever been a capacity crowd a Rupp Arena for the Sweet Sixteen? I kinda think not. There are plenty of large schools in the central part of the state that can host the sweet sixteen without having it at Rupp.
Actually, Yes there have been near capacity crowds.

If I'm not mistaken...average attendance last year(2007) was about 15,000.
Where else in central KY can handle that type of crowd?
More Cowbell Wrote:I vote to have it at the Expo. My reasons...

well said. i would add that "making it to the expo" is a goal now just like "making it to rupp or diddle" its a great opportunity for these youngsters and there is absolutely no home court advantage. the team from the 15th best equipped to handle the bigger stage moves on to represent us.