Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raising The Academics
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Since most people agree academics should be more important than athletics what is everyone's thoughts on requiring players to make better grades than required by the KHSAA. As of now if a student has six periods a day that student can have 4 D's and 2 F's and still play. In other words that student only has to be passing four classes to play. Some school's "up the bar" and require their students to have at least a 2.0 GPA. They feel that their athletes rise to the occassion academically in order to compete athletically.

Please chime in.

In my personal non-professional opinion, I'd rather see 3.0 or 3.5 students get athletic scholarships than the unmotivated, non-intelligent, spoiled, no benefit to society misfits that get free educations in U.S. institutions today.

And if that means lowering the level of play in American sports, then by all means lower it. More money is spent paying uneducated purely athletic-only gifted "extra-curricular" activities in the U.S. than there is doctors, lawyers, teachers, policeman, and all service personnel combined.

Their contributions include partially, but not all, doping to further enhance their wealth, which would be illegal to "legitimate U.S. citizens" resulting in jail time. Yet they receive a salary reduction once they become "professionals" and/or suspsensions. Oops, fine me 25k when I am making 20M a year and see if I lose any sleep.Rolleyes

U.S. government is just as much to blame because they see immediate tax dollars in these 3-5 year tax dollars (yes, that's the average life span of a professional athlete). I'd rather enjoy watching a college graduate play professional sports who would later go on to become a productive member of society, as opposed to the trash we have making ludicrous amounts of sponsored or contract money from professional franchises we have today. A person who uses college as a means to better the "entirety" of their life is the kind of man/woman I'd enjoy watching play the sports we love (and hate).

Financing the kind of lifestyle that most professionall athletes enjoy today is not the kind of economy capitalism was created to support an overall productive growing economy. One of the many reasons after high school sports I lose interest. Most of the money these athletes make does not get back into the tax-ased circulation because of the things they spend money on, i.e. drugs, strip clubs, gold teeth, platinum teeth, 26 inch rims, hookers, dog-fighting, gambling, yada, yada, yada, the list goes on and on.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Hes on the B honor roll. You better buckle down and get to work!

I might be able to squeeze that by the time :o