Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your team's GOAL?
During the playoffs, I saw a quote in the paper from a head coach saying his team's goal this year was to go north to play a northern kentucky team in the playoffs. As it turns out, his team did get to go north and they got waxed, but they reached their goal.

Does your team have a stated goal like beating a certain rival, winning the district, region, "going north" or winning a state championship?
I was a starter on the team you are referring to blue, and yes that was our stated goal all year. We wanted to be playing "up north" in November, because that meant we would have to win the District Championship. We knew Highlands was probably one of the best teams in the state, regardless of class. But we also knew that once we got to that point that anything was possible and all we could do was play hard and see what happened.
But I guess to answer your question, yes it was something we talked about and worked toward from the day we saw the realignment. Now that a solid foundation has been set for our program, I'm sure next year's team and teams in years to come will have more confidence in their abilities to achieve even higher goals.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I was a starter on the team you are referring to blue, and yes that was our stated goal all year. We wanted to be playing "up north" in November, because that meant we would have to win the District Championship. We knew Highlands was probably one of the best teams in the state, regardless of class. But we also knew that once we got to that point that anything was possible and all we could do was play hard and see what happened.
But I guess to answer your question, yes it was something we talked about and worked toward from the day we saw the realignment. Now that a solid foundation has been set for our program, I'm sure next year's team and teams in years to come will have more confidence in their abilities to achieve even higher goals.

Awesome Post!:thumpsup:

At Prestonsburg, our goal was to win state. But much like everyone else's goals they came to a disappointment. But we made it to the Regional Championship and lost to a very good Louisville team, even though we would have liked to have won that game we where still satisfied that we won the district championship over a very good team, but we would have loved to have brought home that 2A State Championship. But like Brooks4Prez said, "I'm sure next year's team and teams in years to come will have more confidence in their abilities to achieve even higher goals."
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I was a starter on the team you are referring to blue, and yes that was our stated goal all year. We wanted to be playing "up north" in November, because that meant we would have to win the District Championship. We knew Highlands was probably one of the best teams in the state, regardless of class. But we also knew that once we got to that point that anything was possible and all we could do was play hard and see what happened.

Brooks, that was a nice post. Not every team can realistically set the goal of winning state. There are development steps that need to be taken and your team took that step this year. I'm a Highlands fan and I respect what you guys are doing. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Highlands program. Keeping working hard and setting the role model for future players in your program. Good luck and congrats on a good year, no make that a very good year. Will you be returning next year or are you a senior?
At Whitley, the goal for 2008 is to win twice as many games as we did in 2007. Yep, winning four games would be fantastic.

Great post! That is what I was looking for, a REALISTIC GOAL. If goals set by coaches or teams are unatainable, nobody buys in and it becomes a slogan on the wall that isn't worth the paper it is written on.

You have to climb the mountain one step at a time.
Russell's goal is to win the district and win the 2 in district playoof games. This is our goal for the season, our goals have increased since 2002, and it is now focused on going to Louisville. It is a goal that CAN be reached and will be the focus for next years team. it is like having a LONG TERM all or nothing goal and a short term- win the district goal.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
charlie22 Wrote:Brooks, that was a nice post. Not every team can realistically set the goal of winning state. There are development steps that need to be taken and your team took that step this year. I'm a Highlands fan and I respect what you guys are doing. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Highlands program. Keeping working hard and setting the role model for future players in your program. Good luck and congrats on a good year, no make that a very good year. Will you be returning next year or are you a senior?

No, I am a Senior so I won't be back next year. My Senior class is the last class to have attended a high school other than Letcher Central (Whitesburg, Neon, or Letcher)
My goal is to win the District and play for a regional championship. Thats always been my goal in football.
My goal for next season is to make it to state...we were just one game away this year....oh so close..lol.
A Decent Lineman Wrote:My goal for next season is to make it to state...we were just one game away this year....oh so close..lol.

I would really like to see you guys accomplish that, especially after you came so close this year.
PHS's goal is for the new great Coach Mike Jackson to get these boys back on track to a state title. And set a future for a college for all of them in the greatest sport ever
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I would really like to see you guys accomplish that, especially after you came so close this year.

Ill be a senior nxt year and i want nothing more than to go out as even just state runners up--no hazard team has ever made it to a state championship game. My freshman year we got beat first round..my soph. year we got beat third round....our goal for last season was to make it to the fourth round and we accomplished that. SO our goal for next season is to make it just one more game and simply play at papa john's...the rings would be a bonus...lol. Every year we have accomplished our goal, and next year hopefully will be no different.
Man that's great. Best of luck to you guys next year.:thumpsup:
hazard will have the team next year to win it, they just got to play as a team to accomplishment, i've been hearing for years now, that my cousins junior and michael campbells and austin maggard and alll the others that they are going to win state.so i want to see the accomplished because they set that goal years ago
All of you guys who have posted on this thread have had winning seasons this year, well for me its a little diffrent. My team went 2-8(0-10) how ever you want to call it. but we gave everything we had each and every game there are a few games we could have won, but we didnt and thats ok because we learned from our mistakes. Next year with a second year coach we will make out first apperance in the 3A playoffs. We will also try too beat our Rivals(Shelby Vally, Pike Central, and/or Magoffin County). Also we whould like to host a playoff game at Warrior Field. all of these goals are not our actuall team goals but Im sure each and ever one of them will be wanted by each member of the East Ridge Warrior football Program.
For Powell, I would say our goal would to have a winning season for the first time ever and make it to the playoffs. To me, being a senior, that would be the most important thing. To make history at Powell County. Good luck Pirates!!!!