Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Top 3 Assistants Coaches in Mountain's
Who are top Assistant Coaches in Mountains that make huge difference having them on staff.

1) Coach Holcomb Breathitt County- his success speaks volume !!! 3 state championship and numerous of state semifinals and many regional championships. Over 300 victories as head coach.

2) Coach Sullivan-Pikeville 
Maybe best Defensive mind in Ky high school football. I’m sure he could be head coach at any where else.

3) Coach Elam - Corbin
Really good Offensive Coordinator and has been offer be head coach neighbor counties. Should be interesting on what offense Corbin runs this year.

Like hear other people picks on top assistant coaches in mountains
[-] The following 1 user Likes Statebound19's post:
  • Bull got out!
In no particular order 

Belfry has an elite staff from top to bottom

-Matt Varney LB/DC
Called 3 consecutive defensive shutouts in state championship games. Produced multiple All-State players and has had some of the best defensive fronts in all of KY.

-Anthony Tackett OL
Produced and developed 15+ All-Staters while having 3 D1 lineman on the strong side of the ball during the 2015-2016 seasons, two being P5 starters. Multiple seasons rushing for 5000 yards as a team. 

-Todd Cassell RB/DB
Multiple All-State running backs and defensive backs. If it hasn’t been broken a Belfry RB holds the KHSAA record for yards per carry over a season with 15.8 per touch. And even produced a Mr. Football winner and 2-time state champion MVP. 

All 3 of these assistants have unwavering loyalty and a massive part of the overall success at Belfry. Not to mention each of these men have 8 State Championship rings. Not too shabby for a mountain school with ~650 students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walter White's post:
  • Bull got out!
(06-08-2024, 05:31 PM)Walter White Wrote: In no particular order 

Belfry has an elite staff from top to bottom

-Matt Varney LB/DC
Called 3 consecutive defensive shutouts in state championship games. Produced multiple All-State players and has had some of the best defensive fronts in all of KY.

-Anthony Tackett OL
Produced and developed 15+ All-Staters while having 3 D1 lineman on the strong side of the ball during the 2015-2016 seasons, two being P5 starters. Multiple seasons rushing for 5000 yards as a team. 

-Todd Cassell RB/DB
Multiple All-State running backs and defensive backs. If it hasn’t been broken a Belfry RB holds the KHSAA record for yards per carry over a season with 15.8 per touch. And even produced a Mr. Football winner and 2-time state champion MVP. 

All 3 of these assistants have unwavering loyalty and a massive part of the overall success at Belfry. Not to mention each of these men have 8 State Championship rings. Not too shabby for a mountain school with ~650 students.
Your right top of line!!! But my question is would Belfry continue their success without one them. I thought about Belfry and there always really good but if one them leave would hurt them.
Statebound19, I edited your post, so it is easier to read. When you put your comment in the quote, it's hard to tell what your response vs the quote. But if I am understanding your question. Are you saying something to the affect would these teams be as successful without the good assistant coach? Well in the case of Elam and Corbin. You are taking away the play calling in that situation. Greer was a defense coach. Not sure if he had called any offense at any time. So, in the case of a defense head coach, I do think losing the Oc or a different Oc can limit your abilities as a team. Same for an offense head coach, if he loses a defensive coach and puts another one in the spot and they don't have the abilities of the previous one, then I can see it being a big issue. I think this does happen.
cody slone does a lot of great things for martin county, paul sullivan has been mentioned but brad allen needs to love too. probably time to include ryan chapman in that group of belfry coaches too.
Concerned_Blackcat
Cody slone martin county
Sullivan pikeville
(06-08-2024, 09:13 PM)TE#82 Wrote: Concerned_Blackcat
Cody slone martin county
Sullivan pikeville
Buddy, I wish I was coaching. 

But Cody Slone is one of the assistants I was hoping Hager could pull.
(06-08-2024, 08:21 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Statebound19, I edited your post, so it is easier to read. When you put your comment in the quote, it's hard to tell what your response vs the quote. But if I am understanding your question. Are you saying something to the affect would these teams be as successful without the good assistant coach? Well in the case of Elam and Corbin. You are taking away the play calling in that situation. Greer was a defense coach. Not sure if he had called any offense at any time. So, in the case of a defense head coach, I do think losing the Oc or a different Oc can limit your abilities as a team. Same for an offense head coach, if he loses a defensive coach and puts another one in the spot and they don't have the abilities of the previous one, then I can see it being a big issue. I think this does happen.
Greer and Mills both were defensive minded coaches and both are no longer with the program…Who’s the DC gonna be this season and how does the departure of Mills and Greer effect the teams defense?
(06-09-2024, 03:24 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 08:21 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Statebound19, I edited your post, so it is easier to read. When you put your comment in the quote, it's hard to tell what your response vs the quote. But if I am understanding your question. Are you saying something to the affect would these teams be as successful without the good assistant coach? Well in the case of Elam and Corbin. You are taking away the play calling in that situation. Greer was a defense coach. Not sure if he had called any offense at any time. So, in the case of a defense head coach, I do think losing the Oc or a different Oc can limit your abilities as a team. Same for an offense head coach, if he loses a defensive coach and puts another one in the spot and they don't have the abilities of the previous one, then I can see it being a big issue. I think this does happen.
Greer and Mills both were defensive minded coaches and both are no longer with the program…Who’s the DC gonna be this season and how does the departure of Mills and Greer effect the teams defense?
Teams always seem to change somewhat as new ideas come into the side of the ball where the new coaches come in at. I have no idea who is coming it at Corbin. Mills I heard has got Scotty Russell as a assistant. I always liked Scotty. He was there at Corbin with Haddix. Scotty is a good coach, and no doubt will be a asset as a assistant. I always will remember him as Mr. Football.