Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-3 Defense
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • North laurel Fan
Probably the most common defensive formation you see at the high school level. Many will call it a 3-4, but it's a 5-3 with the secondary usually playing cover 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Bull got out!
Would you all kindly quit getting me sidetracked with all this football x's and o's stuff so that I can focus on the really important things--- like who to draw a clown's wig and nose on next?!?!
(06-04-2024, 09:25 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Would you all  kindly quit getting me sidetracked with all this football x's and o's stuff  so that I can focus on the really important things--- like who to draw a clown's wig and nose on next?!?!

Big Grin
(06-04-2024, 08:30 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Probably the most common defensive formation you see at the high school level. Many will call it a 3-4, but it's a 5-3 with the secondary usually playing cover 3.
The difference between a 5-3 and a 3-4 is personnel.  

a 5-3 is made up of a true Noseguard, two true DT’s and two True DE’s.  They are bigger but quick linemen that can hold up and shed the offense.  

the linebackers are made up of run stoppers which are strong and mainly thicker linebackers that can play in the trenches.  You have a Mike (middle), Will (weak side), Sam (strong side) 

the Sam is athletic and doesn’t mind to stick his nose in the action. 

as for the 3-4 you are using more athletic players except for the Nose he’s a hole plugger.  You have a Nose, and two DE’s.  And your linebackers are spread out and they are more of zone and situational rather than gap responsible.  

if you are playing a team that likes to run Jet, screens and outside you would play the 3-4, of you are playing a team that likes to ground and pound, you might want to run the 5-3. 

these defenses are quick to adapt during a game but you need to have the right personnel to do so.
[-] The following 3 users Like papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Bull got out!, Rip/Spin
(06-04-2024, 10:49 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 08:30 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Probably the most common defensive formation you see at the high school level. Many will call it a 3-4, but it's a 5-3 with the secondary usually playing cover 3.
The difference between a 5-3 and a 3-4 is personnel.  

a 5-3 is made up of a true Noseguard, two true DT’s and two True DE’s.  They are bigger but quick linemen that can hold up and shed the offense.  

the linebackers are made up of run stoppers which are strong and mainly thicker linebackers that can play in the trenches.  You have a Mike (middle), Will (weak side), Sam (strong side) 

the Sam is athletic and doesn’t mind to stick his nose in the action. 

as for the 3-4 you are using more athletic players except for the Nose he’s a hole plugger.  You have a Nose, and two DE’s.  And your linebackers are spread out and they are more of zone and situational rather than gap responsible.  

if you are playing a team that likes to run Jet, screens and outside you would play the 3-4, of you are playing a team that likes to ground and pound, you might want to run the 5-3. 

these defenses are quick to adapt during a game but you need to have the right personnel to do so.

I totally agree!!!!!! Nice evaluation!!!
What’s drawn up is closer to a 46 defense or a 53 running a Bear front. The 53 morphed into the 353 or 335 more than a 34. The 34 is the old Okie defense or the 52 Slant and Angle.

In truth the 53 personnel is much closer to a mix between 34 OLB and 35 overhang players.

You’re not going to see the 53 much on the HS level because it has real issues with formations. If you are going to see an offense that is packed in then a Bear front or the 34 Okie are probably the best ways to go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes barrel's post:
  • Bull got out!
(06-23-2024, 07:13 PM)barrel Wrote: What’s drawn up is closer to a 46 defense or a 53 running a Bear front. The 53 morphed into the 353 or 335 more than a 34. The 34 is the old Okie defense or the 52 Slant and Angle.

In truth the 53 personnel is much closer to a mix between 34 OLB and 35 overhang players.

You’re not going to see the 53 much on the HS level because it has real issues with formations. If you are going to see an offense that is packed in then a Bear front or the 34 Okie are probably the best ways to go.

Smile Im still trying to sort all of what you said out lol. It sounds good though.
I see a 5-3 a lot in run situations, but it's difficult to use as a base defense if the opponent has a legitimate passing threat.