Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Mountain Team?
Since 1990, 10 schools have won 73% of the state titles...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
54 of 74

9 Beechwood
8 Trinity
7 Highlands
6 CovCath
5 Boyle Co
5 Danville
5 St Xavier
3 Breathitt Co
3 Male
3 Mayfield
Ever heard of Belfry?
Ever heard of Middlesboro?
Ever heard of Bell County?
Hey jetpilot. How many state championships do those teams have combined since 1990?
Midee1 Wrote:Hey jetpilot. How many state championships do those teams have combined since 1990?

4 that I know of.
Heard of all of them. However NONE are on the list. They don't win multiple championships.
Belfry back to back 03,04.. 2 is multiple ..last time I looked..???
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell is not really mounain but 2 state championships for them, and 2 is also multiple.. OOOPS only one in the last 10 years though..... count us out.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Russell is not really mounain but 2 state championships for them, and 2 is also multiple.. OOOPS only one in the last 10 years though..... count us out.

The 10 teams above all won 3 or more since 1990 and there is only 1 mtn team.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The 10 teams above all won 3 or more since 1990 and there is only 1 mtn team.

Big deal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Big deal.
Why be so negative?

We like to talk about mountain football and there is only one mountain team with any significant amount of state championships. It is simply for discussion. With the OP wondering why it is the way it is.
I'm not being negative. It's not a big deal to me.

There are not as many Eastern KY teams that are powerhouses. That's known. Central KY and Northern KY have bigger schools with big football programs along with more population to draw from. It's not any kind of surprise to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I'm not being negative. It's not a big deal to me.

There are not as many Eastern KY teams that are powerhouses. That's known. Central KY and Northern KY have bigger schools with big football programs along with more population to draw from. It's not any kind of surprise to me.

5 Boyle Co
5 Danville
3 Mayfield

These schools are not from highly populated areas, and they have 25% of the championships between the three of them.
I didn't say they were all from highly populated areas. But most are in areas with bigger populations then say Pikeville or Belfry.

I don't know what point you're trying to make other than to disagree, put down mountain teams, or get people to debate which is better Eastern KY or the rest of the state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We've had this discussion a million times before, everybody knows that there are not a lot of powerhouse football teams in the mountains. I see no point to this thread.
Danville's population = 15, 049
Boyle Co. population = 28, 444
Mayfield population = 10,349

Pikeville population = 6295
Belfry population = 4304
Russell population = 3645
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It basically goes just like the population of the state which isn't any surprise statistically.

NOTE: Any time you see a 1/2 is because Beechwood is close enough to both NKY/Covington and Louisville to be counted in either, so I split their numbers with each.

3 1/2 teams from Louisville
2 1/2 teams from Northern KY
2 teams from Central KY
1 teams from Western KY
1 teams from Eastern KY

20 1/2 championships from Louisville
17 1/2 championships from Northern KY
10 championships from Central KY
3 championships from Western KY
3 championships from Eastern KY

3 of 10 teams are private which is fewer than most would suspect I believe. They account for 19 of the 54 championships above or 35%

Most of the teams, regardless of class are from high population areas.

3 1/2 teams from the Louisville area, the state's largest city
2 teams from the Lexington area, the state's 2nd largest city
2 1/2 teams from the Covington area, the state's 5th largest city (also within 5 miles of Cincinnati which if it were in Kentucky would be the state's 2nd largest city)

That's 8 of the 10 teams on the list. The 2 abnormals are Mayfield and Breathitt Co. Mayfield is near Paducah which is the state's 12th largest city, and Breathitt Co. is not near any large notable cities.

The only Eastern KY city in the top 15 of population is Ashland, coming in at #15 on the list. The Lou. and Northern KY areas are EACH 25 times larger than Ashland while the Lexington area is about 13 times as large.

In conclusion, I'd say the reason you don't see more Mountain teams is sheer lack of population and a metro city. In these larger population and metro areas, there may be more schools, but you also have the ability to pick and choose your school with more ease creating powerhouses. Also, in these areas you are able to consistently play much better competition, in turn making your own team better.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
Good post TC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tomcat68 Wrote:It basically goes just like the population of the state which isn't any surprise statistically.

NOTE: Any time you see a 1/2 is because Beechwood is close enough to both NKY/Covington and Louisville to be counted in either, so I split their numbers with each.

2 teams from Central KY
1 teams from Western KY
1 teams from Eastern KY

3 of 10 teams are private which is fewer than most would suspect I believe. They account for 19 of the 54 championships above or 35%

2 1/2 teams from the Covington area, the state's 5th largest city (also within 5 miles of Cincinnati which if it were in Kentucky would be the state's 2nd largest city)

That's 8 of the 10 teams on the list. The 2 abnormals are Mayfield and Breathitt Co. Mayfield is near Paducah which is the state's 12th largest city, and Breathitt Co. is not near any large notable cities.

The only Eastern KY city in the top 15 of population is Ashland, coming in at #15 on the list. The Lou. and Northern KY areas are EACH 25 times larger than Ashland while the Lexington area is about 13 times as large.

In conclusion, I'd say the reason you don't see more Mountain teams is sheer lack of population and a metro city. In these larger population and metro areas, there may be more schools, but you also have the ability to pick and choose your school with more ease creating powerhouses. Also, in these areas you are able to consistently play much better competition, in turn making your own team better.

In re Beechwood, its not close enough to N. Ky and Louisville to be counted as a 1/2 for both. Its definitely in N Ky. Heck its about 3 miles (max) from Cincinnati. And Covington is right across the river from Cincinnati so its as close as the river is wide, 1/2 mile maybe or less.

I do agree that the urban schools get to play consistently better competition, in turn making the teams better. To me, that more than any other factor is the reason for the disparity, region wise, in the number of championships.

As for the picking and choosing schools comment, that really doesn't happen as much as you think it does. Of Highlands 17 championships, I can think of only 2 where there was a significant out of district impact: 1999 when we had Lorenzen and Smith (Lorenzen was originally from Kenton County but moved to Ft. Thomas before his frosh year to live with his mom after his parents got divorced and Smith lived in Silver Grove but came to Highlands because his Mom worked in the school district plus Silver Grove High School did not have a football team) and 2004 when we had 4 or 5 very good players not from Ft. Thomas. But other than those two years, the impact of out of district player issue really hasn't been present.

And as you pointed out, there are a lot of schools up here that acts to prevent the good football players from all getting funnelled into one or two schools. Highlands, NewCath, CovCath, Beechwood, Dixie, Boone County and Ryle all do a good part in keeping the good players "at home" in their respective home school districts. Heck, for all the talk about Highlands getting good players from out of district, if you knew the number of Ft. Thomas kids that attended NewCath over the years it would blow your mind away and a lot of them have been very, very good players for NewCath.
Tomcat68 Wrote:It basically goes just like the population of the state which isn't any surprise statistically.

2 teams from Central KY
1 teams from Western KY
1 teams from Eastern KY

Great post, that was what I was getting at. I am not trying to run down anyone. I am looking for explanations and wondering if anything can be done to even things out.

I could have just as easily said only 3 Northern Kentucky schools. I think that there are close to twenty schools playing football in Boone, Campbell and Kenton counties with only three teams dominating. Likewise in Louisville only 3 teams consistantly win and before LexCath, Lexington hasn't produced a consistand winner for a while. It seems Lex has the same advantages as Louisville an NOKY without the same results.

What it come down to is there are just over 200 teams in the state, 10 win most of the championships.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Danville's population = 15, 049
Boyle Co. population = 28, 444
Mayfield population = 10,349

Pikeville population = 6295
Belfry population = 4304
Russell population = 3645

Danville is in Boyle Co. Heck, the two schools are about a mile apart. So when you say Boyle Co. are you counting the City of Danville as part of the County population? How would you seperated it out?
Well that would leave 13,395 left in Boyle Co. if you subtract the population of Danville. Tomcat basically expands on the point I was making and goes into more detail in his post above.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]