Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
14th region top 5?
Prediction of the top 5 returning teams
At this time of the year in May it’s really difficult to get a good idea of next season’s contenders right now. Everyone will know more after summer play, especially for the schools who have their teams in games. Most of those team events will take place in June up to the two week Dead Period in July, then resume following the Dead Period into August when most of the schools begin their fall semester. I personally don’t think the 14th will be very strong this season but someone will win it and head to Rupp Arena.
1. Owsley
2. Hazard
3. Leslie
4. Letcher
5.. Knott
[-] The following 1 user Likes Desperado888's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
(05-09-2024, 03:34 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: At this time of the year in May it’s really difficult to get a good idea of next season’s contenders right now. Everyone will know more after summer play, especially for the schools who have their teams in games. Most of those team events will take place in June up to the two week Dead Period in July, then resume following the Dead Period into August when most of the schools begin their fall semester. I personally don’t think the 14th will be very strong this season but someone will win it and head to Rupp Arena.
Well yea buddy we will know better after summer ball. But at the same time, summer ball is hit or miss because everyone takes vacations or high school kids priorities working now. Never seems like a high school team is together in the summer.
(05-09-2024, 07:44 PM)Cerberus Wrote:
(05-09-2024, 03:34 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: At this time of the year in May it’s really difficult to get a good idea of next season’s contenders right now. Everyone will know more after summer play, especially for the schools who have their teams in games. Most of those team events will take place in June up to the two week Dead Period in July, then resume following the Dead Period into August when most of the schools begin their fall semester. I personally don’t think the 14th will be very strong this season but someone will win it and head to Rupp Arena.
Well yea buddy we will know better after summer ball. But at the same time, summer ball is hit or miss because everyone takes vacations or high school kids priorities working now. Never seems like a high school team is together in the summer.
Well, I agree. Not all teams are complete in summer play for various reasons, vacations being one of the bigger reasons. So….good points and well taken. 
We can get some snippets of the rankings from summer play but nothing in stone.
Nothing reliable to it. But from the outside looking in, I’m hearing Perry is an an uphill climb. May be someone to watch with the new girl in town.
(05-13-2024, 11:23 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote: Nothing reliable to it. But from the outside looking in, I’m hearing Perry is an an uphill climb. May be someone to watch with the new girl in town.
I was thinking Leslie county would be the team to watch.
Hazard will be Top Dawg in the 54th
Knott will be the team to beat. Adding Kyra from Perry. The only thing stopping knott is there coaching. Not very good. In my opinion
(05-14-2024, 12:09 AM)I’m Cerberus Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 11:23 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote: Nothing reliable to it. But from the outside looking in, I’m hearing Perry is an an uphill climb. May be someone to watch with the new girl in town.
I was thinking Leslie county would be the team to watch.
I agree! Leslie is the team to watch.
Although they graduated three good ones Owsley will still start a good lineup in my opinion. Junior Addie Terry returns with a 15 and 8 points/rebound average and a fierce competitor and leader. Sophomore 6’2 Macey Brown averaged a double-double last season. Sophomore Kenzie Grubb had almost 50 3’s in her freshman campaign. 6’ sophomore Kamilla Marcum is ready for a breakout season and will be a force, I think. And guard Delaney Smith will see a lot of action this season. The middle school team was very good last year so those players will help with bench strength.
Owsley should be a strong as anyone in the region and it’s a long time until school starts in the fall. One never knows who may move into the county that could also help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • DukeBoy
I agree the Owls will be very good.
I think we will get a better feel for what the region will looked like next season after Kyra and her family decide where they will be next year. If she stays at PCC they will be very good, but from what I hear that is most likely not happening. But any school she transfers to will be much better than what they were before, and the schools that already have a good nucleus returning would of course benefit the most.
As a fan I hope she ends up at Owsley. They have a solid returning group of girls anchored by Addie Terry and adding Kyra as a teammate to Addie would make for a very strong combo and team imo. And considering Owsley has the 6’2 Brown and 6’ Marcum in the front court and sharp shooter Grubb returning that would make for a highly competitive team and one that could possibly be playing in Rupp in March.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Bulldogs4Ever, DukeBoy
Owsley
Hazard
Leslie
Perry
Letcher
1. Owsley
2. Knott
3. Hazard
4. Leslie

Not sure about the rest of the teams. Not saw them.
The region has lost a ton of talent. I think it is down tremendously and will be in a rebuilding phase for a couple years. As far as rankings go, I think Owsley is the best team returning. They return Terry, Brown, Lynch and Grubb. I just don't see anyone in the 14th competing against them. After Owsley, I would put Hazard at a distant second, which is somewhat questionable.

Letcher lost Couch and Whitt. Knott lost Gayheart, Combs, Gibson, and Hall. Estill lost Angel and Baker. Perry lost Neace and McAlarnis (transfer). Assuming McAlarnis transfers to Knott, then it makes them much better than they would have been without her. The Bailey transfer from Letcher is not proven so I don't know her impact other than she has size.

Overall, I think the 14th will be ugly basketball this season needing some time to grow. Good luck to all teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Weatherman's post:
  • shottaker23
(06-18-2024, 10:02 AM)The Weatherman Wrote: The region has lost a ton of talent.  I think it is down tremendously and will be in a rebuilding phase for a couple years.  As far as rankings go, I think Owsley is the best team returning.  They return Terry, Brown, Lynch and Grubb.  I just don't see anyone in the 14th competing against them.  After Owsley, I would put Hazard at a distant second, which is somewhat questionable. 

Letcher lost Couch and Whitt.  Knott lost Gayheart, Combs, Gibson, and Hall.  Estill lost Angel and Baker.  Perry lost Neace and McAlarnis (transfer).  Assuming McAlarnis transfers to Knott, then it makes them much better than they would have been without her.  The Bailey transfer from Letcher is not proven so I don't know her impact other than she has size. 

Overall, I think the 14th will be ugly basketball this season needing some time to grow.  Good luck to all teams.
I’ve watched Owsley, Hazard, and Perry this summer. I am obviously not a 14th region guy but from what I’ve seen it could be the weakest I’ve seen in the 20 years I’ve watched. Not being mean but a lot of work to do
Owsley
Hazard
Leslie
Knott
Breathitt
(06-18-2024, 11:01 AM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 10:02 AM)The Weatherman Wrote: The region has lost a ton of talent.  I think it is down tremendously and will be in a rebuilding phase for a couple years.  As far as rankings go, I think Owsley is the best team returning.  They return Terry, Brown, Lynch and Grubb.  I just don't see anyone in the 14th competing against them.  After Owsley, I would put Hazard at a distant second, which is somewhat questionable. 

Letcher lost Couch and Whitt.  Knott lost Gayheart, Combs, Gibson, and Hall.  Estill lost Angel and Baker.  Perry lost Neace and McAlarnis (transfer).  Assuming McAlarnis transfers to Knott, then it makes them much better than they would have been without her.  The Bailey transfer from Letcher is not proven so I don't know her impact other than she has size. 

Overall, I think the 14th will be ugly basketball this season needing some time to grow.  Good luck to all teams.
I’ve watched Owsley, Hazard, and Perry this summer. I am obviously not a 14th region guy but from what I’ve seen it could be the weakest I’ve seen in the 20 years I’ve watched. Not being mean but a lot of work to do
Owsley lost three starters to graduation. But after a slow start on summer play they have finally adjusted to new roles and are playing pretty good. However, Macey Brown sprained her ankle last week and is probably finished leading into next week’s Dead Period. She has really stepped her game up a notch and has grown another inch and is now 6’3. Addie Terry has played very well too and is their seasoned veteran as a junior. Kenzie Grubb, the sophomore guard, made 10 threes vs Somerset. 6’ Kamilla Marcum is adjusting to a starting role and has played better each game throughout June. And the coaches daughter freshman guard Delaney Smith has brought a lot of energy to the Lady Owls. I believe they are going to be a very competitive bunch by the start of the season. But I agree with you that the 14th is probably the weakest of the 16 regions. However, that was mentioned quite a lot last year too and the Lady Owls lost a 2 point game to Bowling Green at the state tournament and it took some questionable officiating to keep them out of the second round, in my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • shottaker23
Owsley is about to lose a big piece to their team….
(07-18-2024, 08:49 PM)SourcesSay Wrote: Owsley is about to lose a big piece to their team….

care to enlighten us?
(07-18-2024, 08:59 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:
(07-18-2024, 08:49 PM)SourcesSay Wrote: Owsley is about to lose a big piece to their team….

care to enlighten us?
I won’t mention any names but I have heard that one is transferring to MoCo
Terry is at MoCo for sure I think. Well according to most people involved in girls Bball. Some of sources say Brown and Grubb are going to Perry County. This will shake up the whole region a great deal. Was hoping to see the Lady Owls repeat this season but without those girls it will be doubtful. Good luck to all them whatever they decide.
(07-27-2024, 10:22 PM)Medusa Wrote: Terry is at MoCo for sure I think.  Well according to most people involved in girls Bball.  Some of sources say Brown and Grubb are going to Perry County.  This will shake up the whole region a great deal.  Was hoping to see the Lady Owls repeat this season but without those girls it will be doubtful.  Good luck to all them whatever they decide.
I don’t see Grubb or Brown going to Perry County. I haven’t heard anything from my sources for that to be the case.
People start rumors upon rumors but Owsley County has all their girls except one. I saw them all today and know for a fact they are all ready to have a great season this year and maybe win their 6th straight district and compete for a regional title. And have fun. They will be starting two freshmen and three sophomores with one freshman reserve and and several middle school girls. The Lady Owls will be one of the younger teams in the region but are still very talented. And in the future they have a great group of 6th graders on their way to joining the Lady Owls in ‘25-‘26 season.