Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley @ Ashland (12-11-07)
Should be a great test early in the season for the young Tomcats against one of the premier teams in the eastern side of the state this season as Shelby Valley travels to Ashland. I'd have to give a strong nod to SV to win the game, but I'd love to see the outcome be the other way around.

The teams come into the game with a combined record of 5-0. Ashland has wins over Boyd County, Rock Hill OH, and Ironton OH. Shelby Valley has wins over OBI and Scott.

Safe trip for any SV fans making the trip to Ashland this Tuesday.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
I don't know much about Ashland, and this is a road game so I'm sure it won't be easy. I'll let people who know more about the teams discuss the game but I'm sure it will be a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
How good is Ashland supposed to be this year? All the folks down here (like me) assume SV is a strong team, but it's mostly based on what they did last year since they have yet to be tested this year.

What about those wins for Ashland? Either of those Ohio teams very good?

Should be a good game, and I'm sure it will be to Ashland's advantage to have the contest at home...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ashland looks to improve on a 22-11 record from last season that ended with an 85-69 loss to Elliott County for the 16th Region Championship after 2 graduation loses of Drew McDavid and Robbie Wilcox.

For the time being, the team will be relying on strong play from 1 freshman, Chris Johnson, younger brother of former Ashland player Matt Johnson and 2 Sophmores JD Adams and Will Skaggs.

Key returning players include Seniors Matt Thomas and Danny Coleman and Junior Ryan Bonner. Not sure how long Matt will be sidelined with what was described as a dislocated pinky on his non shooting hand from what I heard through the grapevine.

Matt Roe starts and provides extra interior presence in the starting lineup with a big body and rotates with Johnson coming off of the bench.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
The key to this game will be if Matt Thomas is able to play. Im gonna bet that he does play. They young Tomcats have been stepping up all season long. Im goin with the Tcats in this one!
Ashland 77
SV 73
If Thomas plays it might be a close game but I will still go with Shelby Valley. If Thomas does not play, it might get ugly. Valley by 20 or more.
I think it will be a very good game if Thomas plays, it is at Ashland, so you gotta figure Ashland won't get blown out, but if Thomas doesn't play Valley could pull away easy.

Valley 78
Ashland 57
Shelby Valley is a team based more on teamwork than athletic ability. Although SV does have some size in Ashley Hatfield and Curby Tackett at 6'6", both players are relatively thin and don't provide much of a post presence. The X-factor for SV is Jacob Bryant... When he plays well the team is usually pretty successful. He is the most talented offensive player for SV and sees the floor really well. SV does seem to struggle at times with rebounding the ball against more athletic teams. They don't have anyone that can individually match up with Matt Thomas. Elisha Justice and Logan Bryant are both small, but have excellent quickness, and Justice controls alot of games with his defensive pressure. SV is still are young team, playing 5 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 2 seniors... I think this will be a very tough road test for Valley.
The King Wrote:Shelby Valley is a team based more on teamwork than athletic ability. Although SV does have some size in Ashley Hatfield and Curby Tackett at 6'6", both players are relatively thin and don't provide much of a post presence. The X-factor for SV is Jacob Bryant... When he plays well the team is usually pretty successful. He is the most talented offensive player for SV and sees the floor really well. SV does seem to struggle at times with rebounding the ball against more athletic teams. They don't have anyone that can individually match up with Matt Thomas. Elisha Justice and Logan Bryant are both small, but have excellent quickness, and Justice controls alot of games with his defensive pressure. SV is still are young team, playing 5 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 2 seniors... I think this will be a very tough road test for Valley.

Thanks for all the info!!
Valley should win this one! Valley may be young but they have great age on them.
I'll take the Wildcats by 10.
I'll take Shelby Valley by 20
Im sayin a close game, SV by 6+
student section will be crazy ill take ashland by 5
Any news on Thomas?
If Thomas doesn't play SV should win rather easily. Thomas will cause matchup problems if SV tries to go man as SV simply doesn't have anyone to handle him. If Thomas plays I'll take Ashland by 3 cause they're home team. However Tomcat fans do not be surprised if SV pulls it out either way. They are a young but experienced & extremely good team.
I like SV in this one, but Ashland is a tough place to go play and win. I think the game will be close.
valley will get the job done at ashland.

SV: 65
ASH.: 43
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:The key to this game will be if Matt Thomas is able to play. Im gonna bet that he does play. They young Tomcats have been stepping up all season long. Im goin with the Tcats in this one!
Ashland 77
SV 73

Valley by as much as they want. They always open up strong.
Looks like Thomas will play. He practiced today with some tape on his finger.
i dont know anything about ashland but i want to wish valley the best of luck!!...go out there and make our school proud!!
I don't know much about Shelby Valley other than what I read here, but it seems like they have a good chance of making a repeat run in the 15th this year. I'm proud of the way our team stepped it up when Matt Thomas went out of the game against Ironton last week. We were down 5 when he got hurt in the 3rd quarter but great production from our younger players helped us to come back and get the win against Ironton. Hopefully Matt will be playing as he will be a major factor to our team. This will be a tough game to win but our student section will make some noise and Coach Biggs will have our guys fired up to play.

Ashland- 72
Shelby Valley- 68
Should be a close game. I think SV will pull out a close one.
Any scores yet?