Poll: Most Shocking Game At State Finals?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Beechwood Squeaks By LCA
5.26%
Ft. Campbell dominates NCC
11.84%
Central Defeats Undefeated Belfry
61.84%
Lexington Catholic Whips Lone Oak
3.95%
Highlands Soars by Bowling Green
1.32%
Trinity Beats St. Xavier In Overtime
15.79%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Shocking Game At State Championships???
Hmmmm...I agree that this was merely a discussion! I place no blame on anyone...lol....Like you said Pirates~R~Us...happens! Doesn't make me like it, though...lol..I even stated as a parent, I never let my children blame officiating because there are bad calls on both sides most times..Ty Mr. Football Smile
BlackcatFootball Wrote:Belfry getting beat by Central was by for the most shocking game because Central was an 8-5 team that got beat by JC and Belfry put them away easily. I don't like playing that card but it just the facts. Belfry should have had this game handed to them,but with the injury to Dustin May they just could not get rolling on offense, but I expect them back next year for some retribtution.

I was not a bit shocked by this 8-5 team beating Belfry. I was pulling for Belfry but you have to look at the losses that Central had. Losses to Male, Manual, Highlands and St. X would have probably been losses for Belfry had they been on the schedule. The Johnson Central game was a toss up for me. I think that if JC traveled to Central the outcome would have been different.

I think the strength of schedule helped Central win it more than anything.
tradition Wrote:Belfry and Central didn't surprise me. I had seen Central and knew they were big and fast. I hadn't seen Belfry but judging by their schedule I really didn't think they understood the type of team Central was.

The Beechwood game didn't surprise me at the time, but then when I watched the replay today I was surprised how close it really was. Actually I don't think Beechwood won the game, I think LC lost it by not going for the field goal to tie it.

I have to admit, I had gotten caught up in all the talk on here and the other sites about how good Belfry was this year, as I was expecting Belfry to win. I'd seen Central play Highlands and knew they were very good, but I thought Belfry would wear them down and pull it out at the end (similar to what Highlands did to Central). And don't get me wrong, Belfry is very good also. But Central's strength on D matched up well against Belfry's O. Central's defensive line was easily the best that Highlands played against this year and their lbers weren't too shabby either. Their D is set up to stop the run and that's what Belfry brought to dance. Belfry was not able to wear them down however.

I like the Belfry call to throw the pass at the end of the first half. It didn't work because the ball slipped out of the qb's hand, but that unfortunately happens. Had he completed it for a td, it could have been the backbreaker that the Highlands TD pass right before half was for Highlands.
Sarrr Wrote:I was shocked at the way the Belfry - Central game panned out. They had a decent team though, don't get me wrong, but they were given the game.

I don't agree. I was for Belfry, but they were not givin the game. I was in attendence and Central just made more plays. I can't believe They threw the ball with only a few sec. left till half. I thought that was the back breaker.
There is no way to know how good you are until you play a good team. Friday, Belfry played a good team and found out how good they are.

A good example. Highlands played last year's 4A runner-up, last year's 3A runner-up, this year's 4A state champion, and this year's 3A state champion.

Schedule better teams, and even if you lose a couple of games you will know where you stand and know what you have to do to improve. Stay sheltered in the mountains and you won't know until it is too late.
We dont need to start taking away from Belfry!! Central was an awesome team and won the game. But so was Belfry! Its not like they killed us. There was no blow out. It was a good hard fought battle and could have went either way. Mistakes were made, Central played better ball that day and fortunately for Central and unfortunately for Belfry things went Centrals way Friday in Louisville. Again Congrats on your win.
Sarrr Wrote:I was shocked at the way the Belfry - Central game panned out. They had a decent team though, don't get me wrong, but they were given the game.
LOL Yeah they were given the game by the Belfry Coaching staff and Players. Don't sell LC short just because you think the Referees called a bad game. They were the better team.
BoondockSaint Wrote:You NEVER pass up opportunities to score in a state title game.

We hadn't proven to be able to stop Central's offense yet, their turnovers were pretty much self-inflicted, as were ours, but Central also got the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half.

99 times out of 100 if that ball gets picked off its in the offensive team's endzone, and there is no return. It just so happened that the ball slipped out of Andrew's hands, and was caught by the fastest guy on the field.

BTW...Pirates-r-Us, I wasn't talking about you whining, but there has been a ton of posters here blame the loss on nothing but the refs. That's absolutely wrong and it doesn't set the right example for our kids who've been learning life lessons the last 4 years from a staff who wouldn't stand for blaming officials for the outcome of a game.

Unless it was played at Breathitt Co. in '99 or 2000.
You don't throw to his side of the field then.
Mistakes were made on both sides of the ball!!!! Central capitalized! That's the difference!
PiratePride Wrote:We dont need to start taking away from Belfry!! Central was an awesome team and won the game. But so was Belfry! Its not like they killed us. There was no blow out. It was a good hard fought battle and could have went either way. Mistakes were made, Central played better ball that day and fortunately for Central and unfortunately for Belfry things went Centrals way Friday in Louisville. Again Congrats on your win.
DevilsWin Wrote:You don't throw to his side of the field then.

They didn't....the ball hung in the air that long and the kid that caught it was playing safety.

He actually could have ran under it if he were playing the opposite corner position. It hung in the air like a punt, and the kid caught it running full stride.
I was shocked by the Belfry Central game. Central is a very good team and the fastest that we played this year. Belfry didn’t do as bad as most on here are talking. This game could have been won by Belfry but a key turnover occurred. That is football and why we watch it. I am very proud of what this Belfry team was able to accomplish. You once again made the pirate fateful happy to be a Pirate. Yes, Belfry needs to play a harder schedule, but it is difficult to get a lot of teams to travel to eastern KY. I also wish that the district would be more competitive. Belfry played several good teams this year. I agree that the schedule was no were near as hard as Central. Some of that has to do with location. I was very impressed with this Central defense, but Belfry had several chances to make big plays with the pass, yes I said pass and Belfry together. We all must admit that both of these teams made mistakes in this game. Central may cause problems in AAA for a lot of future teams coming out of the East. I just hope that each young person involved in this game learned something that will help them with the struggles of life. You don’t always need a win to gain something for the future. Thanks seniors for such a great and exciting season. I cannot wait to watch the rest of you next season.
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
Pirates~R~Us Wrote:I dont think Ive seen anyone except a few kids.....NOT congratulate central for a game well played. I dont recall anyone except a kid say the refs won the game. Just because a kid or two feel that way dont make it sound like all of Belfry thinks the refs gave the game away because thats not true. Ive heard many people (men included talk about it....and on several sites). In fact Ive talked about the calls in games we've won but thats not an issue because it wouldnt be "whinning" or "blaming" talking about the refs when we win would just be "discussing" and IMHO thats what most are doing now. BUT because we lost some want to to think we're whinning or blaming. I think people need to read all post and read them word for word before throwing off on someones post. People also need to realize that this is a place for discussion and opinions. There are hundreds of people on the site. NOT one of us are 100% right on everything we say while everyone else is just stupid or wrong.
YOU ARE 100% CORRECT THIS TIME!
I agree the play to throw was the play I would have made. A lot of people are questioning the reason for not taking a knee ,but I saw it as a way to add 6 or 7 more before the half Good call.
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:Mistakes were made on both sides of the ball!!!! Central capitalized! That's the difference!

You are right Central made good plays at Belfry's expense and that was the KEY to the WIN.Belfry played hard all the WAY to the END and that says a lot about a team.
i really was stunned that belfry lost to a 5 loss louisville central team..not taking anything from central, they looked really good, but belfry just had one of those nights where they didnt do what they had done all season long
Yeh... id did not see central beating belfry like that...i mean if only they didnt run that option play, they would have been in the endzone for the lead, but thats why they say IF
BelfryJustice Wrote:I was shocked by the Belfry Central game. Central is a very good team and the fastest that we played this year. Belfry didn’t do as bad as most on here are talking. This game could have been won by Belfry but a key turnover occurred. That is football and why we watch it. I am very proud of what this Belfry team was able to accomplish. You once again made the pirate fateful happy to be a Pirate. Yes, Belfry needs to play a harder schedule, but it is difficult to get a lot of teams to travel to eastern KY. I also wish that the district would be more competitive. Belfry played several good teams this year. I agree that the schedule was no were near as hard as Central. Some of that has to do with location. I was very impressed with this Central defense, but Belfry had several chances to make big plays with the pass, yes I said pass and Belfry together. We all must admit that both of these teams made mistakes in this game. Central may cause problems in AAA for a lot of future teams coming out of the East. I just hope that each young person involved in this game learned something that will help them with the struggles of life. You don’t always need a win to gain something for the future. Thanks seniors for such a great and exciting season. I cannot wait to watch the rest of you next season.

You are probably right about that. But if you can't get the good teams to come to you, then the benefits of playing against stronger teams probably outweighs the disadvantages of having to go to them. Highlands only had 3 home games this season. We could have scheduled a fourth home game and not played Trotwood in the Herbie, but the experience we gained playing against Trotwood's excellent athletes helped us considerably when we played BG in the finals and certainly outweighed the loss of a fourth home game. I'll acknowledge that we didn't have to travel far to play Trotwood, but nonetheless we gave up a home game to play them. I have a feeling that Belfry will end up playing Central a lot of times in the state finals in the years to come and Belfry needs to get some speed teams on their schedule, even if that means playing them on the road every year.
We almost had Highlands on our schedule too, but it did not work out. So we went with Simon Kenton, they had the opening.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I think that the Lone Oak, was a shocker to me but I did not see how hard their schedule was either.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
has to be the upset Trinity over St. X