Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor: Players have to Buy their Shoes to Play.
In my day if you played basketball at Russell and you didn't buy your own shoes Coach Marv Merredith would give you a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors. We called them Air Merrediths. Back then the 2 best shoes were Air Jordans and Kentucky Dunks! At the time Chuck Taylors were the cheapest shoe that Converse made.

Only the kids whose parents couldn't afford $100 shoes wore the Air Merrediths.
Elwayfan Wrote:With all the fundraising and basketball camps being done, I don't understand why a basketball team couldn't afford to pay for their kids shoes. Where is all the money from camps going. I know some teams have about 150 kids in each of two camps per year and make close to $18,000-$20,000.

If they do make this money at these camps then I hope the head coach isn't driving a new car or his wife is wearing a new peice of jewelry. If this coach wants to win like he says he does then he ought to put this money back into the team and buy them some freaking shoes.
Shoes should be purchased by the players to guarantee a good fit. Too often the shoes purchased through the school don't fit well - i.e. kids guess their size, brands fit different, etc. I would rather see the money normally spent on shoes be spent on something more beneficial.
our coaches tell us to play 2 sports or more, so you will stay in shape and conditioned for their sport throughout the year.. some coaches think that playing football and not practicing basketball will hurt their game, but really the running and exercise in football practice would help...
FanInTheStands Wrote:Shoes should be purchased by the players to guarantee a good fit. Too often the shoes purchased through the school don't fit well - i.e. kids guess their size, brands fit different, etc. I would rather see the money normally spent on shoes be spent on something more beneficial.

Personally, I have no problem paying for my child's shoes if he chooses to play. BUT, I think that the coach should order ALL of the players shoes together to make sure that they all match. I also have no problem in helping the coach/coaches/players in fundraising. If this is what the coach chooses to do!!
Just be thankful that you guys have shoes!! When I played we didn't have shoes to play in. We had to play in our bare-feet, outside, and it was usually snowing!!
Elwayfan Wrote:With all the fundraising and basketball camps being done, I don't understand why a basketball team couldn't afford to pay for their kids shoes. Where is all the money from camps going. I know some teams have about 150 kids in each of two camps per year and make close to $18,000-$20,000.
I want in on that camp! You have to realize that some camps are not "team camps" or school camps. Some camps are actually individual coaches providing additional instruction for kids. For these camps, some coaches, like it or not, keep the money.
BigBlueNation Wrote:I want in on that camp! You have to realize that some camps are not "team camps" or school camps. Some camps are actually individual coaches providing additional instruction for kids. For these camps, some coaches, like it or not, keep the money.
Where do they have these camps, at their house? That's great that coaches have these camps though. It will help get the young kids ready.
As for coaches keeping the money, I guess thats fine as long as their team gets what they need.
FanInTheStands Wrote:Shoes should be purchased by the players to guarantee a good fit. Too often the shoes purchased through the school don't fit well - i.e. kids guess their size, brands fit different, etc. I would rather see the money normally spent on shoes be spent on something more beneficial.
What about kids who can't afford it? Remember that not all kids come from afluent families.
I dont think they should have to buy them. Shoes are part of a school uniform. By your statement, do you think parents should buy football cleats, helmets, and mouthguards if they play football? That would ensure the parents that the equipment fits them properly. Or if their child is on the academic team, the parents should buy the books they study with? If a kid is in high school and doesnt know what size shoes they wear, there are bigger issues at stake than buying shoes. I do know that shoes comes in different sizes according to brand names. But I would just about bet that in this area, someone on the team would know that Nike sizes are different than Rebock or Converse. One player could say, hey, get those in a half size smaller than the shoes you are wearing now.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I just think it is a shame that some of these schools don't buy the kids shoes. You know they have the money somewhere????????
There are a lot of pros/cons to both sides. IMO since the shoes are disposable (they belong to the player) or are not reused (like uniforms, football equipment, etc), any funds used for shoes might be better spent elsewhere. Again, speaking from personal experience, shoes (cleats or basketball) that fit well make a difference (actually the difference is when a player plays in shoes that don't fit well). Too many times, we give up comfort to look good. There should be guidelines (i.e. all white shoes, only one color trim or whatever the coach decides) when the players are allowed to purchase their own shoes to eliminate fashion ($$$) statements.
Provisions can always be made for those who can't afford to purchase the shoes. But most of the time the parents who do the fundraising are the ones who can afford to pay for the required items and those who are less affluent aren't able to participate in the fund raisers.
I've had kids in Floyd Co. schools for 25 years.I've had Basketball players,football players,baseball players,cheerleaders and dancers.You name it,my kids have done it.Thats alot of fundraising! We have had parents that have not helped fundraise or payed for anything.The rest of us always picked up the slack.No child that I know of ever was denied the right to play because of inability to pay.