Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 28 Betsy Layne 25
Final from Prestonsburg.
What a roller coaster of a game for both teams and their fans! This game had it all and went a lot of how I expected. Both teams left it all out there, but mistakes were made by both teams. Penalties, turnovers, questionable calls, and it all came right down to the last second.

This was a must win game for Prestonsburg. No other way to say it. These 14 seniors deserved this win. They've been through some tough times at Prestonsburg. They've heard it from everyone about how good Prestonsburg used to be and how they aren't supposed to lose this game or that game. This is the year the program under Brandon Brewer is supposed to take that next step and compete and win games they're supposed to. Tonight was a step in the right direction and a good win for the program.

I thought both teams had their good moments and also had their bad. Which is expected between two rivals opening weekend. Pburg's passing game looked good. This isn't a drop back and beat you with the pass team, it's a fool you with a play action here and there. The counter and reverse plays worked well all night. I thought Ethan Jarvis and Jon Little played outstanding for the Blackcats. They also got two huge plays from sophomore's Dalton Elliott and Alex Harris. Also, a huge shoutout goes to senior Jacob Jarrell for pressuring Robinson on that last play. Lastly, offensively, I'd like to mention that freshman center, Logan Hall played mistake free football tonight also.

Defensively for Pburg, they struggggggled tackling, but they made the plays necessary to win the game. Stripping Music at the goal line was a big time play and without it they lose this game. Again, pressuring Robinson on the last play was a huge play. I thought freshman Logan Stumbo played great at linebacker. He had to have had 10+ tackles tonight. Gavin Stephens was big also. Lots to work to do on defense for the Blackcats, but they made plays when they absolutely needed to.

I thought Betsy Layne outplayed Prestonsburg for most of the game. First drive looked bad, but other than that BL moved the chains well. Offensive line was big and blocked well. Reece Music and Brady Robinson give the Blackcat defense fits the whole game, but turnovers and the decision to not punt the football at all really hurt the Bobcats. Betsy Layne kinda runs a backyard type offense and tries to out athlete you. Against teams like Raceland and Paintsville you're not going to be able to do that at all.

It was a fun game to watch and a great atmosphere. I'm glad football season is back.

Congrats Blackcats!!! Best of luck on the rest of your season Betsy Layne!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Westside
BL should have went for 2 point conversions instead of i guess you call that kicking.   That was really the difference in the game IMO.
Congratulations to Coach Brewer and the blackcats! I have to say it’s good to hear this, I know last year when this game was cancelled alot of people were upset.
You got to give some credit to big 71 Nick Porter for plowing the way for the HBs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat Nation's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(08-20-2022, 12:19 AM)Sports72 Wrote: BL should have went for 2 point conversions instead of i guess you call that kicking.   That was really the difference in the game IMO.
I do agree... They wouldn't punt, but wanted to try and kick PATs.
Touch loss for the Bobcats. Field goals came to back in the end to really hurt them. Dakota Stumbo and Landon Howell not playing also didnt help.
Can anyone at the game explain the inadvertent whistle call? I was listening to it on the radio (heard from others) and I can’t wrap my head around it.
I watched this game online.  It was a great game up until Prestonsburg won the game.  I agree with BlackcatAlum.  I thought Betsy Layne outplayed Prestonsburg for the most part, but the Blackcats made the plays when they had to and got the job done.  Congrats to them.  Having said that, I was very impressed with the the Bobcats team.  I was surprised by the online play. They did a good job and they have some good athletes.  I really like this Betsy Layne coaching staff.
(08-20-2022, 09:47 AM)100%SUCCESS Wrote: Can anyone at the game explain the inadvertent whistle call? I was listening to it on the radio (heard from others) and I can’t wrap my head around it.
Apparently a whistle was blown before the play actually ended, because I was very confused watching the broadcast.
(08-20-2022, 01:10 PM)Westside Wrote: I watched this game online.  It was a great game up until Prestonsburg won the game.  I agree with BlackcatAlum.  I thought Betsy Layne outplayed Prestonsburg for the most part, but the Blackcats made the plays when they had to and got the job done.  Congrats to them.  Having said that, I was very impressed with the the Bobcats team.  I was surprised by the online play. They did a good job and they have some good athletes.  I really like this Betsy Layne coaching staff.
They outplayed them everywhere but in one spot!

Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Darth Hater's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, waughdaddy59
(08-20-2022, 05:03 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 01:10 PM)Westside Wrote: I watched this game online.  It was a great game up until Prestonsburg won the game.  I agree with BlackcatAlum.  I thought Betsy Layne outplayed Prestonsburg for the most part, but the Blackcats made the plays when they had to and got the job done.  Congrats to them.  Having said that, I was very impressed with the the Bobcats team.  I was surprised by the online play. They did a good job and they have some good athletes.  I really like this Betsy Layne coaching staff.

You're right and ultimately that is the only spot that matters.  That was what I was stating.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Hard fought game. It was nice to see the Blackcats show some resiliency and be on the winning side of a nail biter. Seems like every senior played their heart out last night.
(08-20-2022, 07:23 PM)Westside Wrote:

You're right and ultimately that is the only spot that matters.  That was what I was stating.
This may be the first time I've ever heard of a football team utilizing the rope-a-dope. Seems like an effective strategy. May be the next trend in football!

Thumbnail(s)

(08-20-2022, 09:56 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 07:23 PM)Westside Wrote:

This may be the first time I've ever heard of a football team utilizing the rope-a-dope. Seems like an effective strategy. May be the next trend in football!
I'm not sure I know what you're stating.
Very sloppy game from both teams. May be a totally different game if it was played near the end of September instead of the middle of August.

I'm pretty happy with alot of what I saw from Pburg, other than the penalties. The offense looked good and had a decent game plan, the backfield and oline are talented enough to win some games. However, the tackling was awful. Defense has to improve.

I'm not sure how I feel about BL. They have some talent, but their offensive game plan looked somewhat scattered. Almost like they couldn't decide what they were trying to do and kept shifting their focus throughout the game. Not sure if Jarrell was just trying to feel his team out in the first game to find a leader or if he was getting checked by the Pburg defense at every turn. Either way, it felt like they were unprepared for what Pburg was doing on defense. When you go back and watch the last drive by BL you'll notice that the edge rusher on the weak side was untouched to the QB every single play of the drive. Things like that have to be spotted and corrected by the coach in the booth immediately moving forward if BL is gonna compete at all in that district. 

Huge win for the burg. I think Brewer should consider this win as a cornerstone in the rebuild of this program. It has to start somewhere, and I think it starts here. Personally, I'm very pleased with how the team looked as far as conditioning, strength and will to win are concerned. By far the best they've looked in week 1 of the Brewer era. Great job, boys! Tighten up the discipline to stop committing silly penalties and work on tackling and keep playing together. This city is proud of you!
[-] The following 2 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(08-21-2022, 05:59 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Very sloppy game from both teams. May be a totally different game if it was played near the end of September instead of the middle of August.

I'm pretty happy with alot of what I saw from Pburg, other than the penalties. The offense looked good and had a decent game plan, the backfield and oline are talented enough to win some games. However, the tackling was awful. Defense has to improve.

I'm not sure how I feel about BL. They have some talent, but their offensive game plan looked somewhat scattered. Almost like they couldn't decide what they were trying to do and kept shifting their focus throughout the game. Not sure if Jarrell was just trying to feel his team out in the first game to find a leader or if he was getting checked by the Pburg defense at every turn. Either way, it felt like they were unprepared for what Pburg was doing on defense. When you go back and watch the last drive by BL you'll notice that the edge rusher on the weak side was untouched to the QB every single play of the drive. Things like that have to be spotted and corrected by the coach in the booth immediately moving forward if BL is gonna compete at all in that district. 

Huge win for the burg. I think Brewer should consider this win as a cornerstone in the rebuild of this program. It has to start somewhere, and I think it starts here. Personally, I'm very pleased with how the team looked as far as conditioning, strength and will to win are concerned. By far the best they've looked in week 1 of the Brewer era. Great job, boys! Tighten up the discipline to stop committing silly penalties and work on tackling and keep playing together. This city is proud of you!

I couldn't agree more with this.

Things started out rocky for Brewer at Prestonsburg, but when you look at what all had happened you would understand why they struggled bad, especially the first 3 seasons. The culture around the program had to change and the only way to do it was winning football games. I think the program showed glimpses last season of turning things around, but they still had a letdown game. This season with 14 seniors, I'm hoping they're over that hump and have finally turned the corner. The guys on the team are believing they can win these games instead of just hoping for the best. If this team plays disciplined football for a full 48 minutes, they can win every game on their schedule this season. Takes belief, effort, and commitment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Big win for the Blackcats and Coach Brewer. If Brewer would have lost this game, I don't know if he has a job today. I don't know a lot about Prestonsburg football, but they don't lose to Betsy Layne. Hopefully, this is the win which turns the program in the right direction.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cat Daddy's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Being around the program as long as I have, that was one of the more exciting regular season games I have seen in some time. The stadium felt electric, and the players fed off of the atmosphere. Now to the game, the Blackcats looked good offensively, nothing fancy in the passing game, but it was enough to be effective when it mattered the most. The offensive line got a good push and the backs ran hard. The other side of the ball concerns me the most. Too many missed tackles and too many poor tackling angles. Hopefully, Brewer and his staff can get this cleaned up because we aren't beating the likes of Shelby Valley, West Carter, and Martin County tackling the way we did Friday night. I believe this will kick start the Blackcats and hopefully they will be ready to play the old ball coach Friday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Betsy Layne had chances to win this game, but two plays in the first half cost them this game. First was the blocked quick kick that led to Prestonsburg's first score. The second was the fumble on the goal line.

As for the inadvertent whistle, the timing on it was just horrible for the Bobcats because Prestonsburg fumbled on the play and BL recovered. The whistle took that turnover away and I believe Pburg scored later on that drive.

Can someone verify something for me, either on game tape or that was there... between the third and fourth quarter, the teams switch directions but I am almost certain the ball did not switch sides of the field. If I am wrong, please correct me but that was aggravating me at the time.
(08-22-2022, 05:35 PM)bball_fan Wrote: Betsy Layne had chances to win this game, but two plays in the first half cost them this game. First was the blocked quick kick that led to Prestonsburg's first score. The second was the fumble on the goal line.

As for the inadvertent whistle, the timing on it was just horrible for the Bobcats because Prestonsburg fumbled on the play and BL recovered. The whistle took that turnover away and I believe Pburg scored later on that drive.

Can someone verify something for me, either on game tape or that was there... between the third and fourth quarter, the teams switch directions but I am almost certain the ball did not switch sides of the field. If I am wrong, please correct me but that was aggravating me at the time.

I checked.  The refs DID move the ball to the correct location on the field.