Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Johnson Central 8/06 (Scrimmage)
(08-07-2022, 08:26 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 06:52 PM)bac2369 Wrote: I’m not a fan of the 2- QB system.. They should make the call no later than game 2-4. Rotating those in and out messes with the rhythm of the offense..
Got to agree. I don’t particularly like that system for the reasons mentioned. Coach could put Boykins in any skill position on the field and he would catch lightning in a bottle! Maybe at a wideout position or even at RB or both. This kid has a motor, fast forward!!
If there is a better team in class A than Pikeville I would have to see it. Just going off the guys they returned from last season they should be unbeatable in that class. #12 from Pikeville is as good a football player as I seen last season. Any class A team that can play JC to basically a draw is unreal good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Running wild 14's post:
  • Fanatic42
Could be wrong but I just don't see Pikeville using 2 QBs. If it was me I would have Duty at QB for the passing game and line Boykins up somewhere different on every play and get him 15 touches a game. Line him up in the slot, at RB (maybe even a direct snap or 2 a game), at WR and even TE, and line him up in the wildcat a couple times a game. But whatever they decide, I will be shocked if it is something as vanilla as running both of those guys in and out at QB. Just can't see it happening. It would suck lol...
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • bac2369
Boykins at QB and Birchfield and even Carson Wright at RB running behind that OLine...good luck to anyone in Class A stopping that.

If they decide they want to have a more balanced offense I understand but a Boykins/Birchfield backfield would be fun to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-07-2022, 03:49 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 02:53 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:16 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I know folks don’t have Pikeville ranked 1st overall in 1A but after tonight watching their defense and how much speed and aggression they have I’d have a hard time seeing offenses outmatch them. Now on offense they hardly ran Birchfield tonight and their offense was trying to get a full for QB. Duty throws the ball really well but the kid from Pike Central is fast as lightning and was able to get some really good chunks on the ground against Johnson Central. Birchfield and Him back in the backfield is speed that’ll be hard to match in 1A.
Who doesn’t have Pikeville ranked #1 in Class A? Lol

KPGFootball’s Class 1A, Preseason Top Five (5) for ’22. @minguabeefjerky @PrepSpin @MaxPreps @KHSAA @1776Bank @racelandramsfb @PikevilleHSFB @BethlehemHSFB @kcdathletics @football_hazard – Kentucky Prep Gridiron
What exactly am I looking at here buddy? Lol
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Boykins and Anderson last year at PC was very good. Their issue was they gave up 50 points a game. Duty definitely has the better arm but Boykins can do things with his legs that he has to be on the field somewhere.
(08-07-2022, 10:44 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:16 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I know folks don’t have Pikeville ranked 1st overall in 1A but after tonight watching their defense and how much speed and aggression they have I’d have a hard time seeing offenses outmatch them. Now on offense they hardly ran Birchfield tonight and their offense was trying to get a full for QB. Duty throws the ball really well but the kid from Pike Central is fast as lightning and was able to get some really good chunks on the ground against Johnson Central. Birchfield and Him back in the backfield is speed that’ll be hard to match in 1A.

KPGFootball’s Class 1A, Preseason Top Five (5) for ’22. @minguabeefjerky @PrepSpin @MaxPreps @KHSAA @1776Bank @racelandramsfb @PikevilleHSFB @BethlehemHSFB @kcdathletics @football_hazard – Kentucky Prep Gridiron

You asked who didnt have Pikeville ranked #1 in there class. So here is the link to someone who has Raceland at #1.
(08-07-2022, 10:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Could be wrong but I just don't see Pikeville using 2 QBs. If it was me I would have Duty at QB for the passing game and line Boykins up somewhere different on every play and get him 15 touches a game. Line him up in the slot, at RB (maybe even a direct snap or 2 a game), at WR and even TE, and line him up in the wildcat a couple times a game.  But whatever they decide, I will be shocked if it is something as vanilla as running both of those guys in and out at QB. Just can't see it happening. It would suck lol...

I agree, eventually McNamee and Johnson will have to make a decision on what kind of offense they want to run, because rotating QBs almost never works. 

From my understanding, Boykins wants to play quarterback and right now the offense is more effective with him behind center, but he's not really a threat to throw the football at all. Duty has a big arm, but he still doesn't look completely comfortable behind center and he just doesn't move near as good as Boykins does.

If Boykins wants to play college football, he's not going to project as a quarterback. He'll project as a WR/DB. The Pikeville staff is creative enough to get the ball in his hands in many different ways. Duty just needs to continue to develop and get more comfortable behind center.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • jetpilot, Patriot1
(08-07-2022, 11:21 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 10:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Could be wrong but I just don't see Pikeville using 2 QBs. If it was me I would have Duty at QB for the passing game and line Boykins up somewhere different on every play and get him 15 touches a game. Line him up in the slot, at RB (maybe even a direct snap or 2 a game), at WR and even TE, and line him up in the wildcat a couple times a game.  But whatever they decide, I will be shocked if it is something as vanilla as running both of those guys in and out at QB. Just can't see it happening. It would suck lol...

I agree, eventually McNamee and Johnson will have to make a decision on what kind of offense they want to run, because rotating QBs almost never works. 

From my understanding, Boykins wants to play quarterback and right now the offense is more effective with him behind center, but he's not really a threat to throw the football at all. Duty has a big arm, but he still doesn't look completely comfortable behind center and he just doesn't move near as good as Boykins does.

If Boykins wants to play college football, he's not going to project as a quarterback. He'll project as a WR/DB. The Pikeville staff is creative enough to get the ball in his hands in many different ways. Duty just needs to continue to develop and get more comfortable behind center.

You're right he's definitely not gonna project at QB at the next level so it may be best for his future...either way selfishly I wanna see some Boykins/Birchfield packages.

Las season I thought the play calling was very vanilla at times and that was with a 3 year starter at QB. I don't know if they have the same offensive coordinator this season or not but assume so, but I'm kinda skeptical he will throw much even with Duty behind center.
(08-07-2022, 10:31 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Boykins at QB and Birchfield and even Carson Wright at RB running behind that OLine...good luck to anyone in Class A stopping that.

If they decide they want to have a more balanced offense I understand but a Boykins/Birchfield, and  backfield would be fun to watch.
Agree. I like the run game out of the wishbone (at times) with duty at QB, Boykins, Wright, and Birchfield in the backfield running behind that bid strong line. Runing out of the pistol with Birchfield and Boykins would be fun to watch while rotating Wright in and out too.
(08-08-2022, 01:05 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 10:31 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Boykins at QB and Birchfield and even Carson Wright at RB running behind that OLine...good luck to anyone in Class A stopping that.

If they decide they want to have a more balanced offense I understand but a Boykins/Birchfield, and  backfield would be fun to watch.
Agree. I like the run game out of the wishbone (at times) with duty at QB, Boykins, Wright, and Birchfield in the backfield running behind that bid strong line. Runing out of the pistol with Birchfield and Boykins would be fun to watch while rotating Wright in and out too.
If Pikeville really wanted to go to a run heavy offense they could go to the full house formation with Scott, Wright, Birchfield, and Boykins in the backfield.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-08-2022, 02:00 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

If Pikeville really wanted to go to a run heavy offense they could go to the full house formation with Scott, Wright, Birchfield, and Boykins in the backfield.
Duty at QB with Birchfield, Wright and Boykins in full house formation would demolish people. Don't forget Anthony and Caudill who are studs too. Or Boykins at QB and Birchfield, Wright, Anthony/Caudill in full house would also demolish people. But the system Belfry and Johnson Central run with 1 or 2 passes a game tortures me to watch it. Although it is obviously highly successful for them it's just painful for me to watch as a fan.
Is Boykins a junior? I thought that he was a senior but had heard he reclassified to the 2024 class.
(08-07-2022, 10:47 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 10:44 PM)Redneck Wrote:

You asked who didnt have Pikeville ranked #1 in there class. So here is the link to someone who has Raceland at #1.
Didn’t know you could click on that lol. When I think of a “link,” I still picture a “www.” at the beginning with a “.com” at the end
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
The fact Pikeville not only held their own on the LOS, but went toe to toe with JC, tells me that it appears everyone else in 1A is just playing for the right to claim themselves as Runner-Up.
Pump the brakes…
Pikeville has a long long way to go offensively, and it starts with the most elementary part of the offense…
Get that solved and things immediately get better from a timing standpoint.
I won’t necessarily point a finger to what I’m talking about but those who have watched know. Anyone old enough to remember the old Rice Krispies commercials?
(08-08-2022, 10:54 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Pump the brakes…
Pikeville has a long long way to go offensively, and it starts with the most elementary part of the offense…
Get that solved and things immediately get better from a timing standpoint.
I won’t necessarily point a finger to what I’m talking about but those who have watched know. Anyone old enough to remember the old Rice Krispies commercials?
It ain't crackle or pop is what I am picking up.
Wink
I believe it’s snap by what I seen against Johnson Central. Now Micro-Brew will you give me a thumbs up? As always GO PANTHERS!!!
Perhaps Johnson Central isn't as good as expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
(08-08-2022, 03:45 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Perhaps Johnson Central isn't as good as expected.

Woah
(08-08-2022, 03:45 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Perhaps Johnson Central isn't as good as expected.
Nah their the best team in EKY again.

Actually maybe you were on to something after all but I still wouldn't be surprised too see Johnson Central lose to Boyle County at Kroger Field in December 

I can't believe they lost to North Laurel though.
It's great to see so many people writing off Johnson Central so early in the season. Because of their weak district schedule, they were probably going to finish no better than fourth in the 4A RPI no matter how they did with the non-district schedule. People do not seem to remember how JC struggled early last season against Cahokia, IL and Rock Creek Academy of Maryland, and that team had an experienced offensive line and returned a senior starting quarterback.

This team has what is potentially the best and deepest backfield in school history. The offensive line needs to improve but it does not have to be as string as last season's line to make a strong run in the playoffs. The Golden Eagles will enter next week's game against Ironton as a solid underdog. Ironton lost to Moeller last season 25-7 and CalPreps rates this Ironton team 10 points better than last season's team. Moeller lost in the Ohio Division 1 semifinals to Springfield 22-21.

North Laurel reminds me of Coach Matney's first Johnson Central team, which finished 7-3 but missed the playoffs. Johnson Central had finished 1-9 the previous season and had won a total of only 5 games during the previous three seasons before Matney's arrival. The story of last night's game was the impact that Coach Chappel has had on North Laurel's football program.

According to Bull and others, North Laurel played short handed against Bell County because of injuries but with two weeks of preparation and the return of several injured players, the team was at full strength last night. Coach Chappel is just the latest reminder of how much impact a great coach can have on a football team blessed with raw talent.

I also don't fault Coach Peck's decision to go for it deep in JC territory on fourth down. Johnson Central had struggled with long snaps last week and punting would not have been without its risks. Also, if JC had punted and North Laurel had taken the lead, then there would have been very little time for JC to come back. The measurement was very close, so JC was a couple of inches at most away from clinching the win. Normally, I think that JC would have probably punted in that situation but I don't think that the choice was clear cut at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Bull got out!
To the JC WSIP broadcast team:

If a team is driving toward the 50 yard line, then they are driving up. If a team is driving toward the end zone in their opponent's territory, then they are driving down. For example, when a running back carries the ball from the opponent's 45 yard line to the opponent's 20 yard line, the running back has driving down to the 20 yard line - not up to the 20 yard line. Think of the football as a hill, with its peak at the 50 yard line. You climb up to the peak and then down the other side.
(09-03-2022, 10:56 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: To the JC WSIP broadcast team:

If a team is driving toward the 50 yard line, then they are driving up. If a team is driving toward the end zone in their opponent's territory, then they are driving down. For example, when a running back carries the ball from the opponent's 45 yard line to the opponent's 20 yard line, the running back has driven down to the 20 yard line - not up to the 20 yard line. Think of the football as a hill, with its peak at the 50 yard line. You climb up to the peak and then down the other side.
^Wrong thread but the JC broadcast team is killing me with their play by play. Every run is up to the X yard line, no matter where the play begins or ends.  It's almost as annoying as the people who confuse dominate with dominant, every single time that they should be typing the word "dominant." Smile
(08-08-2022, 02:00 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Might want to add Caudill and Anthony to the list. These two really looked fine with the touches they got in the Paintsville game. An offense like this could really wear down some good defenses out there and would be hard to stop as far as the heavy run game is concerned.