Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Make The Call........
I used to get a ton of enjoyment watching the section on TV called "You make the Call.....". So I thought I would bring it to rivals to test some of you football buff's knowledge of the rules. The scenerio is:

Scenerio:

On 2nd down, QB A1 drops back and throws an underhand shovel pass forward to RB A2 who is behind the neutral zone. A2 then tosses the ball back to A1 behind the neutral zone. A1 then throws the ball forward beyond the neutral zone to WR A3. Before the ball reaches WR A3, DB B1 knocks A3 to the ground and intercepts the pass which he runs back to A's 20 ydl where he is tackled. What is the result of the play?

This is a situation play that I took directly from the NFHS casebook. I will post the correct response later this evening
Pass Interference.
Should be interference because the ball was in the air.
Pass Interference
i would not like to be the ref here but I'd call an illegal forward pass, which would be declined (if you can) so interception down to the 20.
Pass Interferance because the ball was still in the air when WR A1 tries to catch it wouldnt like to be the refs in this one
This thread looks familiar. lol
Pass inf I believe
Once a player crosses the line of scrimmage and tosses or throws it back to the quarterback in the neutral zone he cannot throw the ball forward. The play would result as an interception.
Actually it would be both. I read it wrong the first few times. There would be 2 penalties on the play, they would offset, and they would replay 2nd down.
Big Daddy #78 Wrote:Actually it would be both. I read it wrong the first few times. There would be 2 penalties on the play, they would offset, and they would replay 2nd down.

I wasn't quite sure if there would be a flag or not.
Ok, we've had some really good responses to this play but here's the ruling:

Legal contact by B1 and an illegal forward pass by A1. Pass interference restrictions for B players ended when the shovel pass was touched. B will likely decline the penalty and keep the ball. If the illegal forward pass is accepted, it is a 5 yd penalty and loss of down at the spot of the foul but A would retain the ball.

This is a new rule change. In previous years the ruling would be completely different. Previously you would have defensive pass interference but with the new change the ruling is different.
Everyone who said pass interference would be wrong. Pass interference restrictions for B would end as soon as A's player touches the 1st forward pass.
So I was 75% right?
Ref Devil Wrote:Ok, we've had some really good responses to this play but here's the ruling:

Legal contact by B1 and an illegal forward pass by A1. Pass interference restrictions for B players ended when the shovel pass was touched. B will likely decline the penalty and keep the ball. If the illegal forward pass is accepted, it is a 5 yd penalty and loss of down at the spot of the foul but A would retain the ball.

This is a new rule change. In previous years the ruling would be completely different. Previously you would have defensive pass interference but with the new change the ruling is different.

Thats where I got confused. Didnt know about the rule change lol
Good scenerio, we should make this an every week thing and get points for the right answer. That was a very interesting question, now what is the next scenerio?
if you watched the Rutgers game you would have seen a similar incident on the fumble forward after the blocked field goal attempt.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Panther Thunder Wrote:i would not like to be the ref here but I'd call an illegal forward pass, which would be declined (if you can) so interception down to the 20.
yea look at that lol :rockon:
blackcat_student Wrote:Once a player crosses the line of scrimmage and tosses or throws it back to the quarterback in the neutral zone he cannot throw the ball forward. The play would result as an interception.

you are right part of it anyways :Thumbs:
since the rb threw the ball back to the qb after he crossed the line of scrimmage, the ball has been moved positive yardage, so the pass wouldnt count, so the pass interference call would not count because knocking the reciever down would be legal. so it would be an interception
Illegal forward pass. The shovel pass is a pass. If dropped it would be incomplete. There would be no pass interference.