Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lynn Camp Powers Over Whitley 35-6
Lynn Camp put own a power football clinic in Corbin Friday Night as the Single A Campers rolled to an easy 35-6 win over the hapless 5A Colonels. Lynn Camp coach David Mitchill, reminded the Whitley fans, how sweet power football could be, as he used no more than 5 perfectly executed plays to mount scoring drive after scoring drive on the befudled and uninspired Whitley team.

In what has to be one of the most embarrassing loses in school history, the Whitley team lost to Lynn Camp for only the second time in 30 years. The game was not nearly as close as the score would indicate. Lynn Camp chose not to run the score up as they subbed down and played prevent defense for most of the second half. It was a merciful and classy move by Coach Mitchill to not run the score up as he could have named the final score and almost certainly could have shutout the pitiful Colonel offense.

Lynn Camp was clearly the superior team in every aspect of the game. Whitley simply could not compete with the tremendously better prepared Lynn Camp Team. It was clearly and simply a blow out. The game was over in the first quarter.

Whitley's coach said a few very profound things in his radio show that very aptly summed up how inept this Whitley team really is and how far this once proud program has declined since the departure of Mike Campbell .

1) The coach laughed in the pregame show and stated that Lynn Camp Coach David Mitchell was an old dog that could not learn new tricks.

The coaches statement is soooo true because football is not about new tricks. Football is about blocking and tackling better than the other team. Differents schemes and looks do not work, they simply make the coach look foolish.

For God's sake Coach Black, there is not a team on our schedule that should have vastly superior talent. Whitley should not have to go to a bag of tricks to beat any team in their unbelievably weak district or to beat any of smaller mountain schools on the schedule. Even Bell County, which has about 750 students, should not force Whitley out of their traditional game plan. Whitley has 1200 plus students, a good feeder program and 15 solids years of football under Coach Campbell.

2) The coach said he the kids were not motivated and that he needed to find a new gimmick to get them fired up.

Winning in anything football included is about preparation not motivation. Gimmicks are for losers that expect to lose. Winners prepare every day to play on Friday. Coach prepare properly and you will not have to worry about motivation.

Look throwing a ball out and scrimmaging against a scout team is not preparation. Preparation is about fundamentals, blocking, tackling, hitting, footwork, fumble recoveries, special teams, ect.. These skills are learned in drills where everyone is learning and participating no one is standing and watching. The dumbest thing a coach can do is srimmage with a scout team with a bunch of kids standing and watching. The kids playing are only playing half speed and the kids watching are wasting their time.

Full contact tackling and blocking should be done Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday's is when you put the game plan in. A good game plan is always to make the other team adjust to you not the other way around.

You can not teach kids to tackle great players unles they practicve tackling great players. This means in drills you run your best backs at the tacklers. The same is true for blocking, you have to practice blocking your best players. Again this done in drills, at stations withlots of instruction.

Special teams are least 25% of the game. They should be practiced in drills every day.

This team is soft, they can not tackle and they can not block and it is all coaching. This team is out of shape. Up/downs are not conditioning. Gassers are conditioning. The good teams can run 20 gassers and they do it at least once a week.

3) This is maybe my favorite statement by the Coach. The coach said Whitley was a good offensive team and could score on preety much any team.

Look Coach this is simply not true. Whitley can not score on anyone that can play a little defense. Our offense is a friggin joke. Take a look at reality. 14 points against Middlesboro,Bell and Newport. 6 points against Lynn Camp. Just from memory, I know that one of the two TD's against Middlesbore was on a 1 yard drive. Do not make me laugh by using stats from the North Laurel or Perry Central games. Everyone scores 40+ on them.

Basic reasons the offense sucks: 1)The blocking scheme is pathetic. Base blocking on every play. The line never really fires out, they block like a spread team which means they standup and a take a step backwards. Not because they are young because you could start all seniors if you wanted to. More about your unbelievably poor talent and position evaluation later. 2) Please do a little research on your scheme, if you are trying to run the ball from the shotgun, the back gets the ball from a dead stop 5 to 7 yards deep in the back field, please man, you go on about different looks, as soon as the back gets the ball the defense immediately sees the ball and begins pursuit. This makes the defense very fast. It is very difficult to get good lead blocking from this scheme. Please look at the game tapes.

Now, I know that a few teams with a great athlete at QB, run out of the spread, this is because teams are spread out to defend the pass and there is usually tremendous speed in the backfield. None of this applies to Whitley.

The offense sucks. Period.

An other huge problem with this team.

You have about 30 varsity players. Of these thirty about 14 are capable of playing this season. You do not have enough good players to play 20 kids. #14 and #12 may be good enough to and now mature enough to make this 16 kids.

#9 will help you win if you move him to middle linebacker. He cannot play out of a stance and his lateral movement is not suitable for end.

#26 is one of your best defensive players,

#34 can play and be effective on both lines as can Dotson. You need a good defensive end or pulling guard, there you go.

#23 is coming off a bad knee injurt, why play him in the back field when he is only about 75%, put him at WR

#1 I am not even going to say it, but, he is one of your two fastest kids and he has good hands and power. If you do not want him to run the ball, so be it, your decisions are reflected on the score board.

Other notes:

on 3rd and less than 1 run the play and forget trying to trick the defense into jumping, this cost us big against Letcher

on 4 and 6inches with 40 seconds to go, please run the ball and get your first down, rather than trying to again trick the other team, you gave Letcher the ball back with 3 shots to the end zone costing us 3 shots to the end zone (again see Letcher game tape)

after a back runs an 80 yard TD, give him a blow do not hand him the ball and expect him to run the 2 point conversion (again see Letcher Tape)

1:30 is a long time and 18 yards against Perry is not much, You blew this game all by your self,

I would like to see Coach Black succeed because he has a good personality, he works hard, and a good hearted person. I actually like Coach Black, none of my comments are meant to be personal. I think if Coach Black had the same investment in the team as I do, he would say the same thing. As it stands, I have big doubts about his ability to get it done after watching us go 4-13 in his tenure with things getting more rediculous every week.

Keep in mind, it is not about coaches it is about kids. I care more about my son and his friends, that I have coached since kindergarten, having a successful and unembarrassing career than I do about hurting anyones feelings.

I know some two faced people will get on here and try to debate what I have said. But, trust me Coach, my words are most everyones. This years coaching effort is dismal and it is reflected on the score board.

You are an honorable man Coach Black, do the honorable thing, if you can not turn this thing around this season, do the right thing and resign.
Two of the best football minds in Kentucky football are available for consultation. I highly recommend that Cotton Adams and Mike Campbell be brought in to fix the mess. I know Cotton is there, but anyone watching knows this Whitley County team reflects none of Cotton Adam's football philosophy. It needs a huge infusion of Cotton Adams philosophy to turn things around.

Sincerely,

Possum Bait (JKL)
Lynn Camp is a good team but not against Leslie