4.) Hazard
5.) Breathitt County
6.) Perry Central
7.) Buckhorn
8.) Letcher Central
9.) Estill County
10.) Powell County
Powell might win 5 games all season... do not put them anywhere near the top 10
1. Knott- played a tough road in All A and came out on top. Senior lead team and look great when they are moving ball. Lost point guard early in tournament and still pulled it out. When he returns, should only make them better.
2/3. Hazard/Leslie- I’ve not fully decided on these two teams, both are good solid teams. Both surprised me with game play. Leslie may get the edge due to size that Hazard can’t match. Pleasantly surprised with the Eagles. Gave Knott a great game.
4. Breathitt-they may be young, but they have shooters, they have size, they can play. They don’t quit. Down 20 to Knott and kept playing hard and cut it to 9. Gonna be a hard out for anyone at the end. Impressive young team.
5. Wolfe-struggling to find their groove, not playing well, but we all saw what they are capable of. If they work the kinks out, they can shoot to top of list quickly. Lost to Knott and Hazard so far.
6. Buckhorn- losing Bowling hurt this team, but still have elements to work with to improve. Coached well and look to see them improve.
Haven’t seen any others play so can’t form an opinion on the rest.
I think this is spot on - got to give the nod to KCC after winning "All A", and with Hazard's win of Wolfe they go to #2 - Leslie has size experience and good guards to they have all of the ingredients - Breathitt has a ton of weapons and will get better over the course of the year. Wolfe County has lost on the road to two of the top teams in the region, both were hard fought games, but they have Johnson and Tolson in the backcourt, other good players around them and big Ritchie in the middle, so they will be fine too. The 14th is very balanced this year and has several really quality teams.
rankings as of now
1. KCC (4-0)
2. Breathitt (4-1)
3. Leslie (2-1)
4. Hazard (1-2)
5. Wolfe (1-2)
6. Buckhorn (1-2)
7. PCC (0-2)
8-10 The field

Actual ranking based on how good i think the teams are-
1. KCC (4-0) Beat Hazard, Wolfe, Breathitt, Leslie Won All-A
2. Wolfe (1-2) Lost to KCC and Hazard
3. Hazard (1-2) Beat Wolfe - Lost to KCC
4. Breathitt (4-1) Lost to KCC - Good record but easy road to All-A finals
5. PCC (0-2) Looked bad against a strong Knox team
6. Leslie (2-1) Beat Buckhorn - Lost to KCC
7. Buckhorn (1-2) Beat a couple bad teams and lost convincingly to Leslie
8-10 The field
Just cant base things on All A wins. Breathitt hasnt beaten any one decent yet. Leslie hasnt won anything yet either. Perry is still above them until they knock the commodores out. Buckhorn no way is better than any them teams listed. Wolfe and Knott are the two alpha dogs right now. Hazard right there with them.
Knott is non-debatable #1. Has beaten quality teams by double digits except for Leslie. #2 Leslie sits at 2-1 with its only loss being from Knott by 5 points. Both teams playing without their starting PG’s. #3 Hazard comes off a notable win against wolfe. 4# Breathitt has a good record but has not beaten anyone worth mentioning. Lost to knott convincingly. 5# Buckhorn has a win.
6# PCC winless.
Valid points critical thinker. Just cant rate Buckhorn ahead of any of the ones you mentioned. I also still say PCC is better than Leslie and Breathitt. Head to Head matchups is all that can determine this. Perry should been allowed to play in the All A since every team in the region is in it almost.
(01-12-2021, 02:46 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Just cant base things on All A wins.  Breathitt hasnt beaten any one decent yet.  Leslie hasnt won anything yet either.  Perry is still above them until they knock the commodores out.  Buckhorn no way is better than any them teams listed.  Wolfe and Knott are the two alpha dogs right now.  Hazard right there with them.

Not really basing it on All-A wins, but that's mostly whats been played so far.   How can you rank an 0-2 team higher than a 4-1 team?    At least until they play each other?   PCC may very well be the #2 or #3 team in the region.   But as of now they are winless.
(01-12-2021, 03:46 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Valid points critical thinker.  Just cant rate Buckhorn ahead of any of the ones you mentioned.  I also still say PCC is better than Leslie and Breathitt.  Head to Head matchups is all that can determine this.  Perry should been allowed to play in the All A since every team in the region is in it almost.
I only rank buckhorn and pcc close because neither has a notable win. It’s hard this early in the season not to use Knott as a reference point and how well each team did against them. And PCC isn’t in the All-A because their school is too big. From my understanding the All-A was always meant for smaller schools.
I'd put Estill ahead of Letcher Central. The Cougars barely escaped Lee County 76-72 on Letcher Central's own home court. Not a knock to either Letcher or Lee.
I have to say that Knott County really impressed me over this tournament. They have all the pieces to win the region.  If they learn how to hit the hot hand and have players that play their roles on any given night I think they are favored against anyone in the 14th.  That being said, its high school basketball and a hot Wolfe team or a Hazard team on their game could very easily pick them off come March. On a side note, I would love to see a true All A for these small schools but I know it will never happen.