Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 29 - Boyd 20
This appeared to be a great game! Russell had to come back from behind in this game! Great team effort Russell.
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
Russell looked horrid in the first half but pulled it together in the second half.

Selby for Boyd is a BEAST. Gatlin Barker made some strong runs and the QB did an excellent job as well. They had Russell on the ropes in the first half but McGlone and company made some adjustment at the half. I will say again that Tyler Jones was a man among boys out there again tonight.
Tyler did great, but I also have to give kudos to Drew Abrams! Way to go DREW!!!!:notworthy
I thought it was smart to not let Drew run the ball until the second half. Tyler only ran the ball sparingly and then Drew was the last to carry the ball. As a team early we looked like crap.... If we do not get our act together on defense I will have to buy the entire Raceland game out so that people will not see us get slammed by them. Better do something... !!!!
Too big of a cushion on corners......... Offense we looked good, It is great too have a backfield with no one to key on. Makes it more difficult to pick up who's running the ball.

I am proud of how we fought back but we never should have had too....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
CONGRATS RUSSELL, sounds like it was a good game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Congrats Devils!
The kids from Russell better start playing with some heart and intensity from the start. I don't care how good you think you are. Noone is just going to roll over.
FBALL Wrote:The kids from Russell better start playing with some heart and intensity from the start. I don't care how good you think you are. Noone is just going to roll over.
AGREEEED BROTHER !!!!!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Congrats Russell
Maybe Boyd had something to do with that.Lou Holtz said in a 10 game schedule you can get high school players to play their best and with their maximum emotion 4 games a year.
Noexcuses Wrote:Maybe Boyd had something to do with that.Lou Holtz said in a 10 game schedule you can get high school players to play their best and with their maximum emotion 4 games a year.

I could not agree with you more. These same boys we bash on saturday's about not playing hard or with heart or emotion or making too many mistakes, playing with too much cushion, are the same boys who are on this and other sites every day reading our predictions and scores like 30 - 6, 27- 7, etc etc. and looking at the paper where all of the sports gurus pick us to win.

Please devil nation remember that except for Jones, Foster and Harvey, NONE of the remaining starters have ever seen "regular" varsity action offensively or defensively. I've watched every game this year, scrimmage and regular season, and I see kids giving their all. Are they making mistakes, ABSOLUTELY. But with every mistake comes a lesson learned. They apparently are learning from their mistakes because after the chewing out at halftime and some adjustments by the coaches we eliminated some of the mistakes and played much much better. I have faith that this 07 devil class will make us proud again this year, regardless of whether the last game is played at Papa Johns again or not.

I apologize to the forum for venting, but I had to get it off my chest.
Over-all I think Russell looked great considering their level of experience as Varsity Starters. However, I seriously doubt this team as young as it is will face another team with more experience than this years seniors. I mean how many playoff games have they played in over the past 2 seasons. 10!
Boyd County's secondary unit looked great and shut down the RHS passing game. They have lots of skill and experience back there and IMO will eat Lawrence Co and Greenup Co alive. Those of you that know me probably think I'm a little biased on that but you'll have that I guess.

As for being out experienced, BC fired their O line after last week and from tackle to tackle were all Sophmores last night. All of which had never taken a single Varsity snap. Hats off to the BC coaching staff for a well coached game with 1 exception.

The play call at the end of the 2nd QTR inside the Russell 5 yd line. Instead of running sweep they should have went pass w/ 10 seconds to play on 2nd down. If you get 2 incompletes you go for the field goal. If BC makes the right play call they go into the locker room up 2 TDs instead of 1. Same kind of thing happened to Russell at Belfry in 2004(we failed to convert after a fumble inside the 5 and Belfry scored before the half).

Russell pulled it together as a TEAM last night and showed the grit that makes all of us proud. Then they ground it out for the win. Great win for Russell. I think this '07 team matured immensly last night and they make me proud to be a Red Devil! :devilflam
FBALL Wrote:The kids from Russell better start playing with some heart and intensity from the start. I don't care how good you think you are. Noone is just going to roll over.

we dont think were good? we are not big headed...we know we have to play our butts off every game...we are not cocky...and the second half runs could not have happened without our pulling guards adam foster and evan boyd...and they rest of the line...give them credit too...mikey dillon played a good defensive game
DevilsWin Wrote:Over-all I think Russell looked great considering their level of experience as Varsity Starters. However, I seriously doubt this team as young as it is will face another team with more experience than this years seniors. I mean how many playoff games have they played in over the past 2 seasons. 10!
Boyd County's secondary unit looked great and shut down the RHS passing game. They have lots of skill and experience back there and IMO will eat Lawrence Co and Greenup Co alive. Those of you that know me probably think I'm a little biased on that but you'll have that I guess.

As for being out experienced, BC fired their O line after last week and from tackle to tackle were all Sophmores last night. All of which had never taken a single Varsity snap. Hats off to the BC coaching staff for a well coached game with 1 exception.

The play call at the end of the 2nd QTR inside the Russell 5 yd line. Instead of running sweep they should have went pass w/ 10 seconds to play on 2nd down. If you get 2 incompletes you go for the field goal. If BC makes the right play call they go into the locker room up 2 TDs instead of 1. Same kind of thing happened to Russell at Belfry in 2004(we failed to convert after a fumble inside the 5 and Belfry scored before the half).

Russell pulled it together as a TEAM last night and showed the grit that makes all of us proud. Then they ground it out for the win. Great win for Russell. I think this '07 team matured immensly last night and they make me proud to be a Red Devil! :devilflam

Amen to that. but as for your comment on playoff experience, if you look at the juniors/seniors this year only Jones has played in 10 games, Foster and Harvey started in last years playoff run, but only on the offensive side. Some of the other Juniors, "baily,abrams etc." seen some action, but that was it. But if you count just being a part of that atmosphere from the sideline, then you're right this team has been down the playoff road before. But we've 8 more games to go to see how they develop before we even need to mention playoffs.
looks like it was a great game congrats devils
RedDevilRB Wrote:we dont think were good? we are not big headed...we know we have to play our butts off every game...we are not cocky...and the second half runs could not have happened without our pulling guards adam foster and evan boyd...and they rest of the line...give them credit too...mikey dillon played a good defensive game

I have seen numerous posts on here from the players either being cocky or running their mouths off about one another. I have gotten the vibe from some of the posts that they think that getting back to Louisville is going to be a cakewalk. I have also seen the slow start to the season and some of the struggles.

To all of the Russell players I say this. Stay off of here talking bad about one another. Stop trying to come on here blowing your own horns and get out there and play the game. If you guys get it together there will be plenty on here to blows horns for you.
RedDevilRB Wrote:we dont think were good? we are not big headed...we know we have to play our butts off every game...we are not cocky...and the second half runs could not have happened without our pulling guards adam foster and evan boyd...and they rest of the line...give them credit too...mikey dillon played a good defensive game
Alot of players have made comments on here about how dominant they are going to be. There were some bright spots. Abrams, Bates and Jones all ran the ball well. Foster and Boyd, you are right, have been fantastic for the first two games. Unfortunately the intensity has not been there in either game. Not at the start. Dropped passes, silly penalties, missed asignments are all signs of lack of concentration.

If you are a player. Stay off of here and stop believing all of the crap you read. Play the game.
Congrats Russell!
Midee1 Wrote:I have seen numerous posts on here from the players either being cocky or running their mouths off about one another. I have gotten the vibe from some of the posts that they think that getting back to Louisville is going to be a cakewalk. I have also seen the slow start to the season and some of the struggles.

To all of the Russell players I say this. Stay off of here talking bad about one another. Stop trying to come on here blowing your own horns and get out there and play the game. If you guys get it together there will be plenty on here to blows horns for you.

I have thought the same thing about the players getting on here...These guys, with the exception of Jones, have not accomplished anything...Many have talked like they have and have slammed one another...It's time to grow up boys...Stay off the message boards...

This team can be very good but they have A LOT of work to do and they need to realize that they cannot show up and expect teams to roll over because of Russell's recent success...Actually, they need to come extra focused because everyone is gunning for them due to that success...All the big talk does is make you more of a target because people always want to make big talkers eat crow...Let your play on the field do the talking...

You have some big shoes to fill...You can do this if you focus on football rather than getting on here...
FBALL Wrote:Unfortunately the intensity has not been there in either game. Not at the start. Dropped passes, silly penalties, missed asignments are all signs of lack of concentration.

If you are a player. Stay off of here and stop believing all of the crap you read. Play the game.

I couldn't agree with you more FBALL. These early games mistakes are simply a lack of focus from the opening kickoff. I think with more gametime maturity those mistakes can be corrected. As for your last line, I have to 2nd your thoughts. Guys stay off these sites, come to practice monday, watch film, listen ONLY TO YOUR COACHES (NOT US DAD'S OR FORMER PLAYERS- well except for Locey and Jones they have to listen to their dads), correct your mistakes and come out next friday and put it all together against W Carter
devil58 Wrote:I have thought the same thing about the players getting on here...These guys, with the exception of Jones, have not accomplished anything...Many have talked like they have and have slammed one another...It's time to grow up boys...Stay off the message boards...

This team can be very good but they have A LOT of work to do and they need to realize that they cannot show up and expect teams to roll over because of Russell's recent success...Actually, they need to come extra focused because everyone is gunning for them due to that success...All the big talk does is make you more of a target because people always want to make big talkers eat crow...Let your play on the field do the talking...

You have some big shoes to fill...You can do this if you focus on football rather than getting on here...
Amen.
Well since everyone else is putting their two cents in I will put mine in. I believe that everyone is so used to having the DEVILS start off the season with a BANG the last 4 or 5 years that we tend to forget that this group of DEVILS are a young team. They still have alot of growing up to do and it is only the second week of the season. Now with that said I believe that so far they have looked really good so far, NOT GREAT, just good. YES, there is room for improvement and that will come. I believe though that last friday at BC the coaches may have figured out some offensive problems. NOW maybe this friday they will figure out the defensive problems. YES, I do agree that if you are going to stop the pass you cannot play 10-15 yards off the receiver and try to cover them.