Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quitters
The last I saw, teams that have opted out of the playoffs are a combined 22-87 this year.  With that said, do you think they are really opting out because of Covid, or do you think they just know they are going to get destroyed in the first round and are a bunch of quitters. It’s a bad look on the sport overall across Kentucky. In my opinion. Thoughts?
I think it is an economics issue. With the bus guidelines set forth by the KDE it is really expensive for teams to travel. If you know your going to get smoked in the first round then money is taken into consideration. Example Marshall Co traveling 3 hours to play Trinity. 4 to 5 buses 3 hours to get run clocked. It would be interesting to know the average distance and associated bus cost for the 9 teams that have cancelled to this point.
I think most of them know they will probably not advance to the next round and would rather not take the risk. I don't agree with that, because it deprives Seniors of a longer season. Just an opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old guy's post:
  • Hound05
I have felt for sometime that you should earn your way in to the playoffs. A 4th place team in a 4 team district with 0 or1 win is not a playoff team. No offense to any school but at that point a coach is trying to hold the team together, I would not call a team or school a quitter in that situation. I agree with the KDE attempting to stop football with the bus regulations and limited attendance to home games the financial end must be considered. This isn't just about this week but the offseason purchasing equipment, reconditioning every dollar will matter in the off season.
olreb Wrote:I have felt for sometime that you should earn your way in to the playoffs. A 4th place team in a 4 team district with 0 or1 win is not a playoff team. No offense to any school but at that point a coach is trying to hold the team together, I would not call a team or school a quitter in that situation. I agree with the KDE attempting to stop football with the bus regulations and limited attendance to home games the financial end must be considered. This isn't just about this week but the offseason purchasing equipment, reconditioning every dollar will matter in the off season.

The economics do matter......no doubt about it.   Financially, this season has been a bust for every team.....regardless of their record.  Travel expense, limited attendance and concessions...and the overall decline in local sponsorship funds that typically flow through the programs.  Many have been unable to solicit, fundraise due to the pandemic.    Financially....its been catastrophic
I don’t buy it. I’m sure schools can afford to pay some bus drivers and the cost of diesel fuel to go play a football game. I can understand them not wanting to play, that’s fine. But don’t blame it on Covid and money. Just come out and say, we have no chance, so there is no use in playing. Blaming it on Covid for no reason is ridiculous. And let’s all be real, so many teams have took advantage of it this year when they really didn’t have to. And now it’s rolled on into the playoffs.
(11-18-2020, 12:25 PM)Old guy Wrote: I think most of them know they will probably not advance to the next round and would rather not take the risk. I don't agree with that, because it deprives Seniors of a longer season. Just an opinion.
I agree with old guy. I think they know they won’t advance or isn’t likely. That is the main reason. But I think the economics of buses likely plays a part in the decision, but not the main. I believe they care about their kids but they know that COVID is not likely to spread through them or cause any serious harm. But like old guy said, I don’t agree with it, but if they feel that’s the best decision for them than so be it. 

at the meeting, Tackett said that they could opt out for any reason, but they did have to give a reason. It wouldn’t be public though what it was.
I think it needs corrected anyway....we should extend the season 1 game then only take champion and runner up of district into the playoffs and go from there. Rarely do 3rd & 4th place teams ever beat the 1st and 2nd.
I wont say I agree with taking them out, because a 3 seed in some competitive districts has a good chance, but if they do just do the 1 and 2, then they need to seed it geographically until the semi's
(11-18-2020, 12:08 PM)VoR_58 Wrote: The last I saw, teams that have opted out of the playoffs are a combined 22-87 this year.  With that said, do you think they are really opting out because of Covid, or do you think they just know they are going to get destroyed in the first round and are a bunch of quitters. It’s a bad look on the sport overall across Kentucky. In my opinion. Thoughts?
I know Fulton County was Covid related, as they were hoping to a second good game with Russellville. As the first meeting was a 21-20 loss for the Pilots.