Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Boys Sweet 16 happen?
Boone County Schools are closing starting Monday through April 20th, other schools will follow. Will KHSAA cancel the Boys Sweet 16?
I don’t think they cancel but I definitely believe it’s going to be without fans much like the NCAA is doing.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:I don’t think they cancel but I definitely believe it’s going to be without fans much like the NCAA is doing.

These are my thoughts as well.
I was afraid that might happen after the NCAA decision. I'm really bummed about it because of all the work and emotion these teams have been through to get here!!!

But I also think it's the right decision.
Julian will push hard for fans... This is the KHSAA's money time... They depend on these 2 weeks big time..
At this point, it will have to be cancelled. Their is no way KHSAA can justify having the tournament with the seriousness of this situation.
If the KHSAA decides to have tournament without fans then they should at least televise it free of charge.
They will try at all costs to have it to make money. This is their major revenue stream. If they don't allow fans the pay to watch site will be overloaded.
I agree. If they do try to have it, it will be money driven. They stand to lose a lot of money on this. I just hate it for the student athletes who have worked their entire, young lives to get to this point. They achieve a dream, and it may be taken from them. It sad, but understandable.
we have watched our last sporting event for a couple months. The second Gobert tested positive it was all over. no way any orginization is going to risk that liability. Insane times we are living in. At least the 15th region tournament was awesome
Seeing on social media that a school playing next week has suspended their allotment of ticket sales per the KHSAA.

https://www.lex18.com/sports/reports-tic...ey-at-rupp

Not a good sign.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
https://www.wymt.com/content/news/KHSAA-...25571.html
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I think it will be postponed if not canceled all together...unfortunately I dont think there will be any sports in America for 4-8 weeks at a minimum
If they follow the lead of the NCAA and disallow fans, not much point in hosting it at RUPP. May as well have it at the YMCA or something...
Even if they don't cancel it, what kind of person would risk sitting in a large crowd just to watch a high school basketball game? Common sense must be in short supply these days.
WinkWinkler Wrote:Even if they don't cancel it, what kind of person would risk sitting in a large crowd just to watch a high school basketball game? Common sense must be in short supply these days.

There were quit a few people at the girls games yesterday, and I bet they keep coming today and as long as they have it
Per Julian Tackett and the KHSAA: Starting Friday, there will be an "extreme limit" on who can attend the Girls and Boys Sweet 16. Schools will be limited to players only on the postseason roster, and each player will only be awarded 4 family member tickets. Tickets will be assigned seating and separated with several rows between. This plan is for the entire Girls Sweet 16 and Boys as for now, will possibility of even more changes for the Boys tournament. No Bands or Cheerleaders for the remainder of the Sweet 16 Tournaments. "It is devastating to the local community" - Tackett.
I personally don't think the virus is not as big of a deal as everyone is letting on...……..I mean even if they cancel the state tournament or even school do they really think people are going to be sitting around at their house? I think not.....The media has everyone in a panic state of mind.....I mean they might as well just put the United States on total lockdown.
This is all crazy folks. At least the big East still has some backbone. Play the games these people have worked their whole lives to get to this point. College students are the ones that will lose the most. They could have their whole career effected if they go out and have a great tourney they increase their draft stock and cash in. These games are always the most important with the most people watching.
I totally understand the emotions surrounding this but we must step back and make decisions without emotions clouding our judgement. If one person gets sick or dies from attending an event that was not cancelled or postponed because of emotions how would that make the kids feel that can be seen as liable because their emotions were deemed to be more important than common sense.

Hearing after this girls game, both tournaments will be cancelled.
https://twitter.com/thenesports/status/1...87072?s=21

I understand and respect the decision as of why they cancelled but it's a hard pill to swallow.. hate it for the players and coaches who worked hard to reach a major goal.
The remainder of the girls sweet 16 has been canceled. I look for the boy’s to be next.
Boys Sweet 16 has been canceled.
A day that will be remembered and will be marked in History. Prayers for everyone.

SouthEast18 Wrote:we have watched our last sporting event for a couple months. The second Gobert tested positive it was all over. no way any orginization is going to risk that liability. Insane times we are living in. At least the 15th region tournament was awesome

Agree 100% on Rudy Gobert and hope his touching every microphone at the press conference is a teaching moment for others.

His testing positive for coronavirus was a watershed moment for the sports world though and the type of realization that it led to throughout the general public shows how influential sports are to our lives and society.

On a personal level, going to the Sweet 16 with my family each year made for some of the best memories of my childhood and I sincerely hope that there's some way that it's made up, even if that means that it happens over sporadic periods or happens in May or June. The opportunity to play in Rupp for those stakes and what that means not just to some of the schools, their communities, but also the health of the KHSAAs athletic budgets as a whole cannot be understated.
JuicedMtnGoat Wrote:I totally understand the emotions surrounding this but we must step back and make decisions without emotions clouding our judgement. If one person gets sick or dies from attending an event that was not cancelled or postponed because of emotions how would that make the kids feel that can be seen as liable because their emotions were deemed to be more important than common sense.

Make the kids feel that can be seen as liable ??? That's just asinine.

How about that one person that MAY get it? That one person probably won't even know he/she got it. 5,000 people died in the last 2 weeks from the flu not a word mentioned. I look at it if you think you may get it don't come! This is the typical panic from the media jut like Y2K. Drunk driving kills more people. Yet they keep drinking. Smoking the list goes on. This out of control.
For all of those who are adamant that the event won't be made up at a later date: where does the KHSAA get the revenue to replace what they'd normally take in on the tournament and/or what drastic changes are made to their operating budget to offset any differences?

I'm not trying to guarantee that the tournament is made up, but I think that those who firmly believe that it isn't going to be made up may underestimate the cash cow that the event is.

Maybe modifications are made and the first round begins at 7 am on a Monday with all 8 games being played that day (scheduled for 7 am, 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm with a shortened warm-up period, running clock rule in effect, and warmups for the next game beginning immediately after the last), all of the quarters the next day (11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, and 8 pm) and the semis plus finals on the last (11 am, 2 pm, and 8:30 pm), with the schedule flipped so that the team in the bottom bracket plays in the first semi to balance out the amount of rest that each team gets.

Maybe the tournament is held at a different site or the tournament is held at a number of sites (i.e., some first round games at the Yum! Center and others at Rupp).

Regardless of what happens, I think that most would agree that having something, whatever that may be, is preferable to nothing at all.