Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Betsy Layne Coach Gerald Newsome Dies
This post may not mean anything to a lot of people on this site because Coach Newsome didn't win state titles, regional titles, or even district titles. He did, however, have a strong, pośitive influence on his players, and I'm posting this because of the respect he earned from me and so many others.

Gerald Dean Newsome, age 68, of Grethel, KY, husband of Kathy Stone Newsome, passed away on Thursday, March 28, 2019 at the Pikeville Medical Center, Pikeville, KY. He was born November 17, 1950 in Grethel, KY, a son of the late Andy and Lucille Martin Newsome.

Mr. Newsome was a graduate of the Morehead State University with a lifetime teaching certificate. He was a retired school teacher and school bus driver for over 30 years, football coach at Betsy Layne H.S., basketball coach at John M. Stumbo Elementary, founder of the Speech and Drama Club and Betta Club at John M. Stumbo. He was the voice of Betsy Layne Bobcats, obtained a Master's degree in Radio Broadcasting and Rank One in Education, a founding member of the Mud Creek Volunteer Fire Dept. and a member of the Grethel Baptist Church.
Thank You WestSide for posting this, Gerald was by Brother in law and even though I played for LC he also had a very strong influence on my life. He will be greatly missed. But with his faith in the Lord I know he is in a much better place.
Prayers that way. Yes, these coaches do make so big of a influence on the kids they mentor. Win or Lose. In the classroom and community as well. Thanks for posting the information. Id say a lot of heavy hearts!
I know a lot of guys who held him in high regard.