Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 77 Breathitt County 66 (OT) (14th Region)
Final from Powell County.
Hazard battled back from 10 down in the 3rd and Breathitt couldn’t get stops when it mattered. Bennett was really big for Hazard. Taulbee finished his career with another great game, I’m really going to miss watching him play. He is everything Kentucky high school basketball is supposed to be.
Hazard never lost any composure even when down, they kept playing their game, Bennett had a great game. Big Al called the shots down the stretch and the Dawg's move on.
Two dandies in Stanton tonight.
Breathitt had a good season. They won 20 games, including wins over Knott and Perry.

They will be losing 7 Seniors though including their top two scorers (Fraley & Taulbee - Both 16ppg). Nobody else averaged double digits for the Bobcats so Fugate, Slaughter and a couple others will have to shoulder that scoring load next season.
Tough loss for Breathitt
I hope everyone has learned that it is very difficult to beat an Al Holland team in post season. He maintains control of the game and never gets rattled. He always has teams to execute the plan well. Hazard is very limited with size, but has tremendous heart. Congrats to the dawgs.

As for Breathitt, it was somewhat of a let down. I really thought Noble would find a way this season to the championship game and possibly winning it. This team had a large margin in the game and still could not control the ball. Al is still the teacher of the 14th.
Breathitt had a good year, but that was somewhat expected with 7 seniors. Interesting to see if Noble stays at Breathitt and helps rebuild them; they have several really good returning players and should be a solid team again next year.
If big al is the teacher in the 14th seems to me he has some more studying to do. Best I can remember Hazard last won a regional title 10 years ago
Not a fan Wrote:If big al is the teacher in the 14th seems to me he has some more studying to do. Best I can remember Hazard last won a regional title 10 years ago

Anyone won any more 14th championships than Al?
Breathitt's last regional championship came in 1996. During the twenty three year drought, there have been ups and downs, but it seems to me, the bobcats have consistently put a good group of guards on the floor. There were a couple of years where Breathitt was the overall favorite to win the region, but just fell short. During those years, something that stuck out the most were, the bobcats were able to put talented big men around good guard play. With that being said, other than a couple of years from 2003-2006, Breathitt has had a hard time developing and putting talented big men on the floor. Personally, I feel like Breathitt was a "big man" away from being the best team in the region this year. If you look at games where they struggled, it was against teams who had a big guy, or guys who could rebound and score. A perfect example was Estill County last year, they had a solid group of guards, surrounded by a good group of big men. In the 14th region, where it is usually guard dominated, you need a guy that's going to get you 10 to 15 points and 8 to 10 rebounds a game, to have a shot at going to RUPP.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Breathitt's last regional championship came in 1996. During the twenty three year drought, there have been ups and downs, but it seems to me, the bobcats have consistently put a good group of guards on the floor. There were a couple of years where Breathitt was the overall favorite to win the region, but just fell short. During those years, something that stuck out the most were, the bobcats were able to put talented big men around good guard play. With that being said, other than a couple of years from 2003-2006, Breathitt has had a hard time developing and putting talented big men on the floor. Personally, I feel like Breathitt was a "big man" away from being the best team in the region this year. If you look at games where they struggled, it was against teams who had a big guy, or guys who could rebound and score. A perfect example was Estill County last year, they had a solid group of guards, surrounded by a good group of big men. In the 14th region, where it is usually guard dominated, you need a guy that's going to get you 10 to 15 points and 8 to 10 rebounds a game, to have a shot at going to RUPP.
Very good analysis!
Big Al got the benefit of the whistle also

Hazard 24-37 from FT line

Breathitt 16-18 from FT line

Hazard played man the whole game and Breathitt played zone the whole. I’m not sure how the whistle got so lopsided
Sounds pretty fishy to me.
12th region refs may have ulterior motives. Lol
Simple really Breathitt shoots a ton of jumpers and goes away from contact a lot of the time.
Try again pal Hazard shot 17 threes and Breathitt shot 16 threes. I was at the game, not many mid-range jumpers were taken by either team
Ok well I guess big Al had them in his pocket lol. It was a good game and good called game. 1 team lost 1 team won don’t make it something it wasn’t. Coach Noble respects the game to much to do that and you should also. If they play 10 times each team wins 5 probably, Hazard just won the game that mattered.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:Ok well I guess big Al had them in his pocket lol. It was a good game and good called game. 1 team lost 1 team won don’t make it something it wasn’t. Coach Noble respects the game to much to do that and you should also. If they play 10 times each team wins 5 probably, Hazard just won the game that mattered.

I’m not saying Big Al paid them off or any blatant cheating went on lol. But for whatever reason Hazard got the benefit of the whistle.
Didn’t Breathitt blow a 9 point lead?
Night Train Wrote:I’m not saying Big Al paid them off or any blatant cheating went on lol. But for whatever reason Hazard got the benefit of the whistle.

Get over it. Hazard played outstanding against Breathitt. I’ve watched several games at Powell during this tournament and I will say the officiating has been nothing less than great and fair. Best part of playing in Regions is non biased refs. They made great calls in every game.