Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Mayfield Head Coach Paul Leahy Has Passed
With great sadness I wanted to share with all the passing of former Mayfield head coach Paul Leahy. Coach Leahy led Mayfield to 2 state titles in the 1990's as head coach after being a long time Cardinals assistant under legendary Cardinals Coach Jack Morris. His first year as head coach he led Mayfield to its unlikeliest of titles over Prestonsburg in 1993. He also led the Cardinals to their first title over Beechwood in 1995. He was also a long time Cardinals track coach and did Cardinal radio play by play. The Cardinals track and football practice fields now bear his name. He is one of only 3 coaches to ever have led Mayfield Football to state title wins. Having once played for coach, I can tell you he is the only man I have ever feared and also the one who I admire and loved the most. RIP coach, Heaven gained one of the great ones!
I can remember being in the gym hearing him scream word for word very clear on the practice field. It about a 1/4 mile from the gym to the practice field
My prayers go out to his family and the Mayfield faithful. RIP Coach.
Prayers to a wonderful family.
He could get your attention, that's for sure with that booming voice. He made players want to run through walls for him. He is truly a Mayfield Cardinal legend.
Condolences from Pikeville Panther Nation.
Prayers from Redhound Nation.
He was not only a football coach, but he was the head track coach from 1974 to 1990...I ran track at Mayfield for 4 years, and believe me, he was just as fierce about my performance on the track as he was on the football field. I was the recipient of more than one...lets just call it a performance enhancing talk...if you have lived through one of those, then you know what i mean. I admired and respected him for it, and thanked him for it more than once. We are going to miss him.
I recall one track meet I’ve decided that instead of raising the bar to win at 6 foot 3 inches I decided to try to win at 5Feet 10 inches because I was lazy across the track Coach Leahy yells” what the hell is going on here, a guy that has a 44 inch vertical jump can’t high jump 5 feet” talking about embarrassed
Coach Leahy epitomized what makes Mayfield such a solid football program. It's not just one great coach or a few great players. It's everyone on board and willing to sacrifice to build a great program with state championship caliber teams. Mf has always had outstanding coaching staffs, numerous solid football players, and the admin/community support to get the right things done. Coach Leahy could have left anytime he wanted and been a fantastic head coach. He was an unbelievable coach before he ever even became the head coach at MF. Anyone, really in the know, knows Jack Morris owes a lot to his incredible coaching staffs. Coach Leahy was one of the most fun people to be around and I loved hearing him on the radio. He was the Harry Carey/John Madden of high school football. And if you ever wanted to hang out with him outside of football season you could just be at the hilltop about 3:30 every day for some "fellowship". He will truly be missed. And I don't even like Mayfield! I do respect what they have created and Coach Leahy had a lot to do with that. RIP Coach!
I'm terribly sorry to hear this, a real gentleman on and off the field.