Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Attendance?
Saturday semi's were close to 5000 and told that Boys Championship was close 4000. Any other regions in State match that attendance? I think that is awesome for high school basketball outside of Rupp. Just curious.
The semis at Perry Central last night was pretty close to full house and I think the Combs Arena seats around 4500.
Idk, but if they don't open the doors earlier, or have more people working the doors and directing foot traffic, I would just assume they have it at a larger high school gym. Monday was pathetic.
Wanding everybody who came in was the problem at the Arena. If you did that at a high school gym you would still have people waiting in line. The price you pay for security.
I attended the 8th region title last night at “the Roy” in New Castle last night. Henry County’s gym is a throwback to old school basketball, it reminds me of a gym one would see in the movie Hoosiers. It’s a horseshoe design that seats over 5,000. All seats are bleachers, so you can fit people in like sardines. Great sight lines from anywhere there and a great environment.

The Arena is fine in that you can hold events there and not worry overfilling capacity. That said, the experience is meh. General admission seating on the corners has the worst sight lines of any gym or arena I’ve been to. You may as well bring binoculars, or watch from the concourse. The sound on the locker room end is muffled and distorted. Can’t say I’m a fan of the Arena

I wonder if the Harlan County schools will opt to hold the regional st HC when it’s their turn to host regionals?
Championship in the 15th officially had 3964 in attendance. Other games of note that I could find: 1583 Pikeville-Floyd Central girls seni-finals had 1583 officially, 1974 officially at Shelby Valley-Johnson Central girls semi, and 3358 at the boys Pikeville vs Pike Central first round game.

Not sure how they count attendance but I’m positive there were about 2100 there the night JC girls beat Shelby Valley, and when Pikeville played Paintsville in the boys semifinals. Quite a few holdovers from earlier game. So I don’t know if they go by total tickets sold up til halftime of last game or what. Was a good atmosphere at the Expo here in Pikeville.
Heard is was a Great Crowd, hated that i missed it.
15th had a good turnout this year !! Attendance was up in every session!!
Sports72 Wrote:15th had a good turnout this year !! Attendance was up in every session!!

:betterthanexpected:
The announced total attendance for the 13th region tournament is 18,645. That is a new record for the13th region.
jamesdeane Wrote:The announced total attendance for the 13th region tournament is 18,645. That is a new record for the13th region.

Would this be Boys & Girls combined?
E's Army Wrote:Wanding everybody who came in was the problem at the Arena. If you did that at a high school gym you would still have people waiting in line. The price you pay for security.

When I was standing outside the arena with about a crowd of 600 waiting to go thru security i couldn't help but think man this would be a mass shooters wet dream. Something needs to be done differently.
The 11th finals and semi-finals at EKU were reported at 5,000. The old EKU coliseum holds 6500.
It's good to see fans returning to high school basketball. For the past few years I have noticed attendance has been down everywhere. This year there was lots of full houses. I watched one game at Bryan Station that was a sellout.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:I attended the 8th region title last night at “the Roy” in New Castle last night. Henry County’s gym is a throwback to old school basketball, it reminds me of a gym one would see in the movie Hoosiers. It’s a horseshoe design that seats over 5,000. All seats are bleachers, so you can fit people in like sardines. Great sight lines from anywhere there and a great environment.

The Arena is fine in that you can hold events there and not worry overfilling capacity. That said, the experience is meh. General admission seating on the corners has the worst sight lines of any gym or arena I’ve been to. You may as well bring binoculars, or watch from the concourse. The sound on the locker room end is muffled and distorted. Can’t say I’m a fan of the Arena

I wonder if the Harlan County schools will opt to hold the regional st HC when it’s their turn to host regionals?

The problem with the Henry County gym is it is hard to get there from most places. Also, when I was there parking was along the highway. I do like the throwback gym. I was there in 1995 when Scott County made the big 4th quarter comeback against Anderson County. I still remember that banked in 3-pointer by Jeremy Wood.
rojas Wrote:The problem with the Henry County gym is it is hard to get there from most places. Also, when I was there parking was along the highway. I do like the throwback gym. I was there in 1995 when Scott County made the big 4th quarter comeback against Anderson County. I still remember that banked in 3-pointer by Jeremy Wood.

The beauty of Google maps- used the directions provided and took only 25-30 min from the 64 interchange west of Frankfort.

I parked along US 421 and walked to the school. Id rather park along 421 them got caught in the bottleneck on top of the Corbin arena hill
Traffic flow was terrible out of the arena. Someone directing traffic would have worked wonders. Need to redesign the parking