Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Game
I never thought that in this day and time a high school basketball game would get canceled due to race. How can this be addressed and fixed? I thought the game should have been played and shown that this was not the case. Canceling it was not the best case for Corbin. For those that just deny it happened can not justify this game getting canceled. Hiding it doesn’t fix it. Starts with discussion and communication.
Flicka Wrote:I never thought that in this day and time a high school basketball game would get canceled due to race. How can this be addressed and fixed? I thought the game should have been played and shown that this was not the case. Canceling it was not the best case for Corbin. For those that just deny it happened can not justify this game getting canceled. Hiding it doesn’t fix it. Starts with discussion and communication.

That particular game wasn't up to Corbin to play. Doss canceled that game. It didn't surprise me, and can't say that I blame them.
I posted on the other thread, I never thought I would see this in a high school basketball game.
Blows me away
Pathetic
Not surprised. I don’t think many schools will want to play them for a long time.
It blew my mind that each school's AD gave different reasons for it being canceled.

I've worked with Corbin's PR department for years and they're usually the best around. They have REALLY dropped the ball on this one.
Well, what did each say was the reason?
Disappointed but totally understand why the game was cancelled. Was looking forward to going to this game.
Flicka Wrote:I never thought that in this day and time a high school basketball game would get canceled due to race. How can this be addressed and fixed? I thought the game should have been played and shown that this was not the case. Canceling it was not the best case for Corbin. For those that just deny it happened can not justify this game getting canceled. Hiding it doesn’t fix it. Starts with discussion and communication.

stirring it makes it worse.
NextGeneration Wrote:Well, what did each say was the reason?

Someone in the know please answer this question.
pjdoug Wrote:stirring it makes it worse.

For who? When talking about it makes it worse for those that feel that way. That is the problem, can’t talk about it.
zaga_fan Wrote:It blew my mind that each school's AD gave different reasons for it being canceled.

I've worked with Corbin's PR department for years and they're usually the best around. They have REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

Zaga , can you share the statements that the AD’s made?
pjdoug Wrote:stirring it makes it worse.

This is the mind set that leads to the problem.

Tell me, what upsets you more 1-What the kid repeatidly says OR 2-Those in authority ignoring it?

Not sure which is worse.

Administrators and those people in authority perpetuate the racial tension just by doing nothing.
Seems a discussion is out of the question with some. What would some of you have done to help this situation?

I to believe the part that needs fixed are those in authority. Kids make mistakes.
What steps and measures are in place that will help young people to not make those mistakes. To change a way of thinking ? I don’t believe turning it over to the coach and sitting him out of a BB game sent the message needed. Along with the other kid, message was not to post things like that. I would think it should go a bit deeper than that. Thoughts?
Ballmom1 Wrote:This is the mind set that leads to the problem.

Tell me, what upsets you more 1-What the kid repeatidly says OR 2-Those in authority ignoring it?

Not sure which is worse.

Administrators and those people in authority perpetuate the racial tension just by doing nothing.

it's a bunch of dramatic troublemakers from both sides trying to stir trouble. The adults act younger than the kids.
Ballmom1 Wrote:This is the mind set that leads to the problem.

Not sure which is worse.

You create the racism from the stands and on social media by taunting and calling kids names then get upset when they retaliate. There has been racism from both sides .
pjdoug Wrote:it's a bunch of dramatic troublemakers from both sides trying to stir trouble. The adults act younger than the kids.
This is the problem with a lot of things! :Thumbs:
pjdoug Wrote:You create the racism from the stands and on social media by taunting and calling kids names then get upset when they retaliate. There has been racism from both sides .

Hit the nail on the head.
pjdoug Wrote:it's a bunch of dramatic troublemakers from both sides trying to stir trouble. The adults act younger than the kids.
If you are referring to the adults in charge of monitoring appropriate speech and actions, then I must agree with you.

pjdoug Wrote:You create the racism from the stands and on social media by taunting and calling kids names then get upset when they retaliate. There has been racism from both sides .
Probably true. BUT there hasn't been the DOCUMENTED propensity of one kid doing this over and over again. AND, I can't seem to find a video or front page newspaper article about another "kid" doing this.
Flicka Wrote:Zaga , can you share the statements that the AD’s made?

Doss admin said something like "to protect teenagers from their emotions" and Corbin's AD said it was a "scheduling conflict."

I saw it in LEX18's article.
Patriot train Wrote:This is the problem with a lot of things! :Thumbs:

Confusednicker:
Ballmom1 Wrote:If you are referring to the adults in charge of monitoring appropriate speech and actions, then I must agree with you.

Probably true. BUT there hasn't been the DOCUMENTED propensity of one kid doing this over and over again. AND, I can't seem to find a video or front page newspaper article about another "kid" doing this.

You ain't looking hard enough then. I didn't watch either school play, but saw it within a few minutes of looking on the internet.
zaga_fan Wrote:Doss admin said something like "to protect teenagers from their emotions" and Corbin's AD said it was a "scheduling conflict."

My son read that, too.

pjdoug Wrote:You ain't looking hard enough then. I didn't watch either school play, but saw it within a few minutes of looking on the internet.

You don't need to look for it when it's recorded and thrown in your face.
It is very easy to dismiss when you have not experienced it, or the video target of it. So please don’t tell me or anyone else they do it so it is ok. I Don’t , but it was directed to me as well as the kid from Knox. This lack of understanding is the problem. Makes me sick when they say someone else does it, so..... I DO NOT. But I have the deal with it. It was a blanket statement. When some of you understand that this will be a better place.
zaga_fan Wrote:Doss admin said something like "to protect teenagers from their emotions" and Corbin's AD said it was a "scheduling conflict."

http://www.lex18.com/story/37475869/doss...iral-video

Not a good look and definitely not a way to make it go away anytime soon.

If it'd been entirely owned up to with a mea culpa and accepted by now, then this has probably already gone away.

The "scheduling conflict" is just a face-palm moment because it sounds like 'scheduling conflict' could be loosely translated into "because of our history and the incident that just occurred, they didn't feel it was safe/wise to come to Corbin and instead scheduled another team where issues like those leading to the cancellation are less likely to be a problem".

It's like the kid who fails out of college at Christmas and tells everyone they are moving out of the place their parents were renting for them due to "family problems"... those 'family problems' being "I failed out of school and my parents aren't going to pay for me to live here".

What's happening now is probably going to carry over with teams being very reluctant to play at Corbin in the future. While the sentiment may understandably be that some are stirring the pot, the gaffes in handling this on Corbin's side have done plenty to keep the discussion going.

Damage Control/PR Spin (that probably has this minimized and doesn't hinder future scheduling):

Step 1 (Coach/Corbin Admin PR statement): We are aware of the incident and find it unacceptable. Rest assured that those responsible will be punished. We understand the public’s sentiment for transparency, however, because the incident occurred outside of a school setting or event and due to applicable student privacy laws, we will have no further comment on this matter.

Step 2 (Player Statement): I made a comment in poor taste and am accepting my punishment. I apologize, and have reached out to the members of the opposing team who might have been affected and offered my apology, which I hope that they choose to accept. Otherwise, I wish to put this incident behind me, and at this time wish to decline any further questions or opportunities to comment on the matter.

Step 3 (Corbin AD/PR on Doss cancellation [if Doss was the one who wanted to cancel and Corbin was pressed into making a statement about it where this was an honest response]): Our school has received notice that Doss High School would like to cancel their upcoming game with us, which, at our discretion, we are willing to accommodate. Though we were prepared to take any necessary precautions to ensure that sportsmanship was respected at all times, we understand and respect Doss' decision. Further, we hope that this cancellation does not have an adverse effect on any future scheduling with Doss, who we will reach out to about future games at the appropriate time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong or missing something, but is anything lost by any of the above statements (i.e., any kind of liability, any other teams who might wish to cancel, etc.)?

I understand that their may be some issues with breaking the contract, but it looks like Doss isn't coming, and I would imagine it'd be awful PR if Corbin went after them regarding the cancellation and things went public.
Ballmom1 Wrote:My son read that, too.

You don't need to look for it when it's recorded and thrown in your face.

it was recorded from both sides. that was my point. get on social media and look for name calling from adults and kids prior to the video.
Predator/Prey Wrote:It is very easy to dismiss when you have not experienced it, or the video target of it. So please don’t tell me or anyone else they do it so it is ok. I Don’t , but it was directed to me as well as the kid from Knox. This lack of understanding is the problem. Makes me sick when they say someone else does it, so..... I DO NOT. But I have the deal with it. It was a blanket statement. When some of you understand that this will be a better place.

it's not ok for either side to act like they did. I don't condone any of it. anybody can play victim. I' choose not to.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:http://www.lex18.com/story/37475869/doss...iral-video

Not a good look and definitely not a way to make it go away anytime soon.

If it'd been entirely owned up to with a mea culpa and accepted by now, then this has probably already gone away.

The "scheduling conflict" is just a face-palm moment because it sounds like 'scheduling conflict' could be loosely translated into "because of our history and the incident that just occurred, they didn't feel it was safe/wise to come to Corbin and instead scheduled another team where issues like those leading to the cancellation are less likely to be a problem".

It's like the kid who fails out of college at Christmas and tells everyone they are moving out of the place their parents were renting for them due to "family problems"... those 'family problems' being "I failed out of school and my parents aren't going to pay for me to live here".

What's happening now is probably going to carry over with teams being very reluctant to play at Corbin in the future. While the sentiment may understandably be that some are stirring the pot, the gaffes in handling this on Corbin's side have done plenty to keep the discussion going.

Damage Control/PR Spin (that probably has this minimized and doesn't hinder future scheduling):

Step 1 (Coach/Corbin Admin PR statement): We are aware of the incident and find it unacceptable. Rest assured that those responsible will be punished. We understand the public’s sentiment for transparency, however, because the incident occurred outside of a school setting or event and due to applicable student privacy laws, we will have no further comment on this matter.

Step 2 (Player Statement): I made a comment in poor taste and am accepting my punishment. I apologize, and have reached out to the members of the opposing team who might have been affected and offered my apology, which I hope that they choose to accept. Otherwise, I wish to put this incident behind me, and at this time wish to decline any further questions or opportunities to comment on the matter.

Step 3 (Corbin AD/PR on Doss cancellation [if Doss was the one who wanted to cancel and Corbin was pressed into making a statement about it where this was an honest response]): Our school has received notice that Doss High School would like to cancel their upcoming game with us, which, at our discretion, we are willing to accommodate. Though we were prepared to take any necessary precautions to ensure that sportsmanship was respected at all times, we understand and respect Doss' decision. Further, we hope that this cancellation does not have an adverse effect on any future scheduling with Doss, who we will reach out to about future games at the appropriate time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong or missing something, but is anything lost by any of the above statements (i.e., any kind of liability, any other teams who might wish to cancel, etc.)?

I understand that their may be some issues with breaking the contract, but it looks like Doss isn't coming, and I would imagine it'd be awful PR if Corbin went after them regarding the cancellation and things went public.

Let me say that I know nothing about the inner dealings of this situation. I know what I've seen reported online and I've seen the video.

But I'll speculate a bit...
Let's say Corbin's administration comes right out and says they know this was a racist statement and it was a mistake that won't be tolerated and they hammer the kid. Then, they are notified of a lawsuit with NAACP letterhead. They are already on the record saying there was wrongdoing. It's cut-and-dry at that point and you have to pay the piper.

As far as the game cancelation, unless Corbin just let's it slide, Doss probably has to pay for the cancelation. If it were me, I would cut my losses and not make them pay. As far as a statement, I wouldn't release one. If asked, I would say "Doss wanted to cancel this one and we're moving on to the next game."
zaga_fan Wrote:Let me say that I know nothing about the inner dealings of this situation. I know what I've seen reported online and I've seen the video.

But I'll speculate a bit...
Let's say Corbin's administration comes right out and says they know this was a racist statement and it was a mistake that won't be tolerated and they hammer the kid. Then, they are notified of a lawsuit with NAACP letterhead. They are already on the record saying there was wrongdoing. It's cut-and-dry at that point and you have to pay the piper.

As far as the game cancelation, unless Corbin just let's it slide, Doss probably has to pay for the cancelation. If it were me, I would cut my losses and not make them pay. As far as a statement, I wouldn't release one. If asked, I would say "Doss wanted to cancel this one and we're moving on to the next game."

Same here on the inner dealings of the situation.

I doubt a lawsuit [on NAACP letterhead] gets far, especially if it's filed where the event happened (i.e., in Eastern Kentucky). What would they even sue for (i.e., their cause of action)? It isn't the school that made the statement and it was off of school grounds, etc. I think it'd be a real stretch there-- if anything, I'd think that dropping the hammer would actually insulate them in that regard.

Agree on the last paragraph. I was only meaning if they were just pressed into making a comment and the only other option was thinking that it would read better than "multiple attempts were made to contact Corbin, however, calls were not returned".