3. Holcomb
4. Howard
5. Hilton
6. Powers
7. Matney
8. Brugh
9. Stapleton
10. Saylor

I had Saylor in mind as one of the best.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:If it weren't for mueller, a lot of teams would be saying that about matney. Either way, the guy has won a title and built a program from nothing. I think he deserves to be on the list. Why don't some of you all post your own list instead of critiquing everybody else's.

Learn how to take constructive criticism while telling us how long he has recruited I mean coached at Johnson Central before winning a championship Confusednicker:
Single Wing 77 Wrote:First off I'm not a johnson central supporter. I'm firmly in the Corbin camp. Second, most of those years johnson central gave highlands a better game than anyone they played the rest of the playoffs. While they weren't shoe ins, they would've had a much better chance of winning it all. That being said, this is all subjective. You don't have to agree with me, and I don't have to agree with you. Lets see your list of top ten all time coaches in the mountains. Not top five, that's a cop out. This thread title is top ten.

To the first bolded, it doesn't always add up that way. Particularly to assert that the Eagles would have won if not for those games (which I detailed and quite frankly only one was close enough for JC to win) is pretty fallacious. If that logic were true, then we say that Boyle and/or Bell must have been clearly better than HHS those years because they both handled Central easily.

As for a cop out, I can list as many as I want.

But here's my stab:

6. Archie Powers (Corbin) Dude won 2 titles and lost another while fielding some very strong teams in the 70's to 1980.

7. John Cain (Somerset). Never won the title but always fielded excellent teams. Hard to call them Mountain but since everyone here does I will put him there. He took some fine teams to the Finals and won. Still believe his 1982 team was the best team in AA that year and if not for that 1 point loss to Boyle would have won his only state title.

8. Jim Matney (Johnson Central). Won a title and has 2 other runner ups. His teams for the last 8 years have always been tough and competitive.

9. Mark Dixon (Hazard). Seems to contend a lot for the Finals. 1 title. 3 Runners Up.

10. Tom Larkey or John Hines. Hines has a title and a couple of runnerups and a title. But he's young in his career (relatively speaking). Larkey was a great coach who might have had 2 titles if not for Boyle County. (remember that argument? :ThumbsSmile

So there is 5 more for the list. No I'm not copping out. Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:My Colonels would have went to a state championship game if not for Dale Mueller Confusednicker:

True story, I was at that game. I know he left on bad terms, but I think Jim Black is one of the most underrated coaches around.
I can’t believe anyone would think Matney belongs on this list. You could make a strong case that Matney is not even top 5 in Johnson County. No way you can put him ahead of Walter Brough. I would also take Bill Music ahead of him. I think some would make a case for Ed Vahoose and Chirico being ahead of Matney. To include him with names Haywood, Hilton, Miracle, Howard, Maglone, or even “The Chukester” Chuke Williams in absurd and an absolute embarrassment to you and your family.
jim rome Wrote:I can’t believe anyone would think Matney belongs on this list. You could make a strong case that Matney is not even top 5 in Johnson County. No way you can put him ahead of Walter Brough. I would also take Bill Music ahead of him. I think some would make a case for Ed Vahoose and Chirico being ahead of Matney. To include him with names Haywood, Hilton, Miracle, Howard, Maglone, or even “The Chukester” Chuke Williams in absurd and an absolute embarrassment to you and your family.

I would have put Maglone in their easily but didn’t think Russell was Mountains. I can never grasp where the lines are.
jim rome Wrote:I can’t believe anyone would think Matney belongs on this list. You could make a strong case that Matney is not even top 5 in Johnson County. No way you can put him ahead of Walter Brough. I would also take Bill Music ahead of him. I think some would make a case for Ed Vahoose and Chirico being ahead of Matney. To include him with names Haywood, Hilton, Miracle, Howard, Maglone, or even “The Chukester” Chuke Williams in absurd and an absolute embarrassment to you and your family.

How many state titles did brough, music, chirico, vahoose, and williams win? Also, what teams did they coach and when? Not trying to fight, I just honestly don't know.
I know this has nothing to do with this list, but I can name a coach who if not for being taken away from us way to early would more then likely be on the list. You will be hard pressed to find a head coach who did as much in a very short amount of time as far as great coaching careers go. Chuke Williams was a very good coach who went on a run during the decade of the 90's and dominated just about everything he touched. I don't know how to find his exact stats but his win percentage must be a crazy number. In his short career as a head coach he had numerous undefeated seasons, district titles and region titles and dominated everyone who was anyone during that time and he didn't just schedule easy wins either. He was well on his way to building a long lasting dynasty and with the talent he drew I have no doubts he would have seen a championship appearance or two in his career in my opinion because he came close, but was taken away from us way too soon God rest.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:How many state titles did brough, music, chirico, vahoose, and williams win? Also, what teams did they coach and when? Not trying to fight, I just honestly don't know.

when the KHSAA move Johnson Central, Highlands, and Cov Cath all to 4A. Johnson Central was going to ask the KHSAA to move back to 5A. but before they did. JC find out that Cov Cath and Highlands ask to be move back to 5A. just look a year or two after Cov cath and highlands got move back to 5A. Johnson Central got lucky and won the state title. with a cake walk to the title game.

some time before the mid to upper 2000's. before they change all the rules. make when real man played the game. how many times did a player got lite up. I went to a Hazard game, the refs call a target call on one of the Hazard RB for lower his shoulder and running over that team player. that was this year.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:How many state titles did brough, music, chirico, vahoose, and williams win? Also, what teams did they coach and when? Not trying to fight, I just honestly don't know.

Brugh was twice runner up in 1978 and 1985.

Williams never made the finals.
cj2561 Wrote:when the KHSAA move Johnson Central, Highlands, and Cov Cath all to 4A. Johnson Central was going to ask the KHSAA to move back to 5A. but before they did. JC find out that Cov Cath and Highlands ask to be move back to 5A. just look a year or two after Cov cath and highlands got move back to 5A. Johnson Central got lucky and won the state title. with a cake walk to the title game.

some time before the mid to upper 2000's. before they change all the rules. make when real man played the game. how many times did a player got lite up. I went to a Hazard game, the refs call a target call on one of the Hazard RB for lower his shoulder and running over that team player. that was this year.

Yes, it was a càke walk and they out scored their opponents 259-13 in the playoffs. They also played what was arguably the best Belfry team in their history with 5 D1 signees to an extremely close game with the final score being 21-16 Belfry. Johnson Central also had the ball in the red zone 2 twice and didn't score because of a fumble and int in the endzone. Johnson Central had more total yards so it's not like Johnson Central was a slouch. They were a worthy state champion.
You obviously know absolutely nothing about Johnson County football. Coach Bill Musick deserves a great deal of credit for building up Johnson Central's feeder program and bringing the Golden Eagles' football program to a level of respectability. But Jim Matney is hands down the best football coach to ever coach at Johnson Central.

Unlike you, I have watched many games coached by Walter Brugh, Bruce Howard, Bruce Humphries, Bill Tom Ross, Ed Vanhoose, Chuke Williams, and most other high school coaches who have worked in Johnson County since the early 1970s. If you had ever watched a Matney coached team play a pre-Matney Johnson Central team, even you might recognize his impressive ability.
Jack Hall. Won over 209 games with Elkhorn City, Betsy Layne, Fleming Neon. 1964 A Champion.
Real Badman Wrote:Jack Hall. Won over 209 games with Elkhorn City, Betsy Layne, Fleming Neon. 1964 A Champion.

Side Saddle Jack was a really good coach and did win the big one.
Westside Wrote:Yes, it was a càke walk and they out scored their opponents 259-13 in the playoffs. They also played what was arguably the best Belfry team in their history with 5 D1 signees to an extremely close game with the final score being 21-16 Belfry. Johnson Central also had the ball in the red zone 2 twice and didn't score because of a fumble and int in the endzone. Johnson Central had more total yards so it's not like Johnson Central was a slouch. They were a worthy state champion.

mediocre at best Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:mediocre at best Confusednicker:

:dontthink
The names Chuke Williams and Bill Musick are definitely ones I would list in the underated columns . Chuke was not the most liked fellow by a lot of folks but the man could coach the game
Matney deserves a ton of credit for being a fantastic program builder. To take over a 1-9 team in 2003 and within 3 years be playing in a game against Covington Catholic to go to the state championship is incredible. JC has had sustained success since Matney has been there and has had very little success in school history before him. There’s no shame in not being able to beat Highlands in the late 2000s they were a well oiled machine every year. The fact that JC have now played in 3 straight championship games is unbelievable from where they have come from. Plus you have to add in the success he had at Sheldon Clarke before JC. He is solidly in the top 10 in my opinion and I would love to see him get another title cause it is a lot more difficult to say 2 titles are a fluke then 1.
Mister D Wrote:Matney deserves a ton of credit for being a fantastic program builder. To take over a 1-9 team in 2003 and within 3 years be playing in a game against Covington Catholic to go to the state championship is incredible. JC has had sustained success since Matney has been there and has had very little success in school history before him. There’s no shame in not being able to beat Highlands in the late 2000s they were a well oiled machine every year. The fact that JC have now played in 3 straight championship games is unbelievable from where they have come from. Plus you have to add in the success he had at Sheldon Clarke before JC. He is solidly in the top 10 in my opinion and I would love to see him get another title cause it is a lot more difficult to say 2 titles are a fluke then 1.

then 1 what?
pjdoug Wrote:then 1 what?
1 title?
1) Philip Haywood
2) Ed Miracle
3) Dudley Hilton
4) Mike Holcomb
5) Hillary Howard
6) Jack Hall
7) Tom Larkey
8) Walter Brugh
9) Archie Powers
10) Mark Dixon
I forgot Ivan mcglone. Replace mark Dixon on my list
Haywood
Howard
Hilton
Holcomb
Hall
Miracle
Matney
Dixon

Chris MacNamee will be on this list before his career is over
I can't believe this thread has 53 posts and no one has mentioned Phil Russell. He won 3 or 4 games at Lynn Camp and if they didn't run him off before the season ended he would of had at least 8 or 9 wins.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I can't believe this thread has 53 posts and no one has mentioned Phil Russell. He won 3 or 4 games at Lynn Camp and if they didn't run him off before the season ended he would of had at least 8 or 9 wins.

:dudecomeon:
Miracle was literally the first name I thought of.