23. North Carolina State
Record: 9-4
-

24. Virginia Tech
Record: 9-4

25.Memphis
Record: 10-3

https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll
UCF finished with 4 first place votes, and the only unblemished record.
No one ever claimed sports writers were the most intelligent when it came to rankings!!!!
But UCF beat Akron.
E's Army Wrote:But UCF beat Akron.

And Auburn who beat both Bama and Georgia.
All the love going to UCF is well deserved, but any thought that they are a top level team is a mistake. People want to run with the "Auburn Win" to prove legitimacy. In these bowl games, the Big Five teams that have been knocked out of contention play for nothing. Top guys either don't play, or don't play with conviction. The UCF squad was playing for pride and respect, the Auburn players were trying to stay healthy for the NFL Combine. We see this every year and it never proves that the non-Big Five teams could play with the big dogs. I watched the UCF/Auburn game. That Auburn was not the same Auburn that beat Georgia. UCF could not have beat any of the top four teams. Their ranking is deserved where it is currently at.

C'mon, look at their season schedule....
Stardust Wrote:All the love going to UCF is well deserved, but any thought that they are a top level team is a mistake. People want to run with the "Auburn Win" to prove legitimacy. In these bowl games, the Big Five teams that have been knocked out of contention play for nothing. Top guys either don't play, or don't play with conviction. The UCF squad was playing for pride and respect, the Auburn players were trying to stay healthy for the NFL Combine. We see this every year and it never proves that the non-Big Five teams could play with the big dogs. I watched the UCF/Auburn game. That Auburn was not the same Auburn that beat Georgia. UCF could not have beat any of the top four teams. Their ranking is deserved where it is currently at.

C'mon, look at their season schedule....

Maybe so. Maybe no. It's all speculation including the statement that Auburn players were just trying to stay healthy during the bowl game. It's probably so, but do we really know for sure? I like to think Auburn was playing with some pride. Before the bowl game, a lot of people were saying that UCF played in a weak conference and didn't play anyone. They beat a very good South Florida team, a decent Memphis team twice and the only Power 5 team they played, which was a very good Auburn team. They passed every test that they were faced with this season. No other team in the country can say that. For that, they deserve some credit.

For the record, a few years ago we were having this same debate on this very site about a team named Boise State. I actually argued against that team. I don't know why, but I liked this UCF team.
Westside Wrote:Maybe so. Maybe no. It's all speculation including the statement that Auburn players were just trying to stay healthy during the bowl game. It's probably so, but do we really know for sure? I like to think Auburn was playing with some pride. Before the bowl game, a lot of people were saying that UCF played in a weak conference and didn't play anyone. They beat a very good South Florida team, a decent Memphis team twice and the only Power 5 team they played, which was a very good Auburn team. They passed every test that they were faced with this season. No other team in the country can say that. For that, they deserve some credit.

For the record, a few years ago we were having this same debate on this very site about a team named Boise State. I actually argued against that team. I don't know why, but I liked this UCF team.

ok in 2008 Bama was going into the SEC title game think about a national title with a 12-0 record. FL beat Bama that game, FL is playing for the national title now. in the bowl game it was Bama vs Utah (at that time was a mid major team). Utah beat Bama in the bowl, do you really think Utah would have won that game if Bama try to play that game. let me look up the years of these other games I am thinking about. ok 2006 when BSU beat Oklahoma, if you remember Adrian Peterson didn't play that game. because he was going to the NFL that year. or 2011 TCU win over Wisconsin, I thought TCU would win that game. so people get real, it is easy for a mid major team get up for a big game. but if there is nothing in it for the big boys way should they played with 100%.

the only power 5 team that UCF played this year, was 4-8 Maryland. Maryland only beat 7-6 Texas, 5-6 Towson, 5-7 Minnesota, and 5-7 Indiana. so really the big deal with that win. if I was one of the people that voting, I would put them lower then 12th. now everyone will say they beat Memphis, ok here were go. the only power 5 team Memphis played is UCLA that went 6-7 on the season (but should have been 5-8, first game Texas A&M QB got hurt, then UCLA come back to win)... some of yall will say next man up, but if the next man is not on the same level as the one that for hurt. it is not next man up. just ask Texas A&M and FSU fans, when there QB got hurt the first game of the season.
Just because something happened one year with one team doesn't mean it applies to another and another team. The 2008 Alabama team doesn't have much to do with a 2017 Auburn team. What you say, I say and anyone else on here says is pure speculation. You have your opinion, and I have my opinion, but like I said everything is speculation on all our parts.
cj2561 Wrote:ok in 2008 Bama was going into the SEC title game think about a national title with a 12-0 record. FL beat Bama that game, FL is playing for the national title now. in the bowl game it was Bama vs Utah (at that time was a mid major team). Utah beat Bama in the bowl, do you really think Utah would have won that game if Bama try to play that game. let me look up the years of these other games I am thinking about. ok 2006 when BSU beat Oklahoma, if you remember Adrian Peterson didn't play that game. because he was going to the NFL that year. or 2011 TCU win over Wisconsin, I thought TCU would win that game. so people get real, it is easy for a mid major team get up for a big game. but if there is nothing in it for the big boys way should they played with 100%.

the only power 5 team that UCF played this year, was 4-8 Maryland. Maryland only beat 7-6 Texas, 5-6 Towson, 5-7 Minnesota, and 5-7 Indiana. so really the big deal with that win. if I was one of the people that voting, I would put them lower then 12th. now everyone will say they beat Memphis, ok here were go. the only power 5 team Memphis played is UCLA that went 6-7 on the season (but should have been 5-8, first game Texas A&M QB got hurt, then UCLA come back to win)... some of yall will say next man up, but if the next man is not on the same level as the one that for hurt. it is not next man up. just ask Texas A&M and FSU fans, when there QB got hurt the first game of the season.

Comparing compare similar scenarios from different teams and different years would have been like saying the #4 seed from the 2017 playoffs the Alabama Crimson Tide wouldn't win the p!shifts this season because in 2016 the #4 seed Oklahmona Sooners got beat and didn't win the national title. It really doesn't make sense.
cj2561 Wrote:ok in 2008 Bama was going into the SEC title game think about a national title with a 12-0 record. FL beat Bama that game, FL is playing for the national title now. in the bowl game it was Bama vs Utah (at that time was a mid major team). Utah beat Bama in the bowl, do you really think Utah would have won that game if Bama try to play that game. let me look up the years of these other games I am thinking about. ok 2006 when BSU beat Oklahoma, if you remember Adrian Peterson didn't play that game. because he was going to the NFL that year. or 2011 TCU win over Wisconsin, I thought TCU would win that game. so people get real, it is easy for a mid major team get up for a big game. but if there is nothing in it for the big boys way should they played with 100%.

Peterson did play in that game against Boise State.

UCF deserved more respect than what they received IMO. They went undefeated, and I know the names aren't as flashy but they had some quality wins and beat everyone that was put on the field in front of them. Including the 2nd place finisher from the SEC. Whether or not Auburn cared about that bowl game that's their deal, but UCF clearly wanted it.

Do I think UCF could beat Alabama head to head? Probably not. But they were just as deserving to reach that playoff as Alabama was based off their resume heading into this thing.
Pupaw Wrote:Peterson did play in that game against Boise State.

UCF deserved more respect than what they received IMO. They went undefeated, and I know the names aren't as flashy but they had some quality wins and beat everyone that was put on the field in front of them. Including the 2nd place finisher from the SEC. Whether or not Auburn cared about that bowl game that's their deal, but UCF clearly wanted it.

Do I think UCF could beat Alabama head to head? Probably not. But they were just as deserving to reach that playoff as Alabama was based off their resume heading into this thing.

You are correct. I just assumed that cj2561 knew what he was talking about there. I just looked it up and found this. "He returned for their last game against Boise State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, where he rushed for 77 yards and a touchdown.". Wikipedia . I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source but...
Westside Wrote:Comparing compare similar scenarios from different teams and different years would have been like saying the #4 seed from the 2017 playoffs the Alabama Crimson Tide wouldn't win the p!shifts this season because in 2016 the #4 seed Oklahmona Sooners got beat and didn't win the national title. It really doesn't make sense.

that is what everyone is doing that said UCF is the national champion. because everyone of yall have said the same thing. UCF beat Auburn, and Auburn beat both Bama and UGA.

what I want to say to everyone Clemson beat Auburn that beat both UGA and Bama. but Bama beat Clemson, that beat Auburn, that beat UGA and Bama. in what world would UCF go 13-0 in any of the power 5. none. it is hard for the top teams to go 13-0 in there, because better teams and better player on these teams.
Westside Wrote:You are correct. I just assumed that cj2561 knew what he was talking about there. I just looked it up and found this. "He returned for their last game against Boise State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, where he rushed for 77 yards and a touchdown.". Wikipedia . I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source but...

I said (remember) I do know he got hurt around mid season. he was able to play at the end of the season. I don't remember him playing that game. but by what you said, I guess that is way I don't remember him playing that game. before he got hurt, he avg around 160 ypg. when he got hurt. went from that to 77 yards, that must be at I don't remember him playing in that game. thinks for letting me know that I was wrong.
cj2561 Wrote:I said (remember) I do know he got hurt around mid season. he was able to play at the end of the season. I don't remember him playing that game. but by what you said, I guess that is way I don't remember him playing that game. before he got hurt, he avg around 160 ypg. when he got hurt. went from that to 77 yards, that must be at I don't remember him playing in that game. thinks for letting me know that I was wrong.

You probably don't believe this, but I was wrong once too.

:truestory:
Pupaw Wrote:Peterson did play in that game against Boise State.

is UCF one of the top 4 team this year. was UCF one of the top 5 teams, i will put OSU in there also. the playoffs rule said the beat 4 teams, not team that is deserving. every year there will be team that is deserving, but are they one of the top 4 teams that year.
From the College Football Playoff Website:

"The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable."

See that's where I have the issue with the committee. In some years, certain teams "deserve" to be in. If they're going to use that as a measuring stick in some years, then it needs to be like that consistently. There is absolutely a difference between most deserving and best, I agree with that.

I think Alabama was the best team for sure. But I also think that people are severely overlooking what UCF did this year and on paper was very similar, and in some cases better, than what Alabama accomplished up until the bowl season began. Just makes for an interesting discussion. Wisconsin had a bone to pick as well, considering their resume was almost identical.
I'm shocked stoops troops didn't make the cut