Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodford County Football
I had a conversation with a colleague today about Woodford County. We can't figure out how they have struggled so much. They have the only high school in the county, and good youth programs. We looked at schools like Scott County, Montgomery County, and other schools that have had success and don't have to compete with a city school.

This year, the Yellow Jackets went 0-11. They have six wins over the past three seasons and just 22 wins since 2010.

What's the deal in Versailles?
Don Draper Wrote:I had a conversation with a colleague today about Woodford County. We can't figure out how they have struggled so much. They have the only high school in the county, and good youth programs. We looked at schools like Scott County, Montgomery County, and other schools that have had success and don't have to compete with a city school.

This year, the Yellow Jackets went 0-11. They have six wins over the past three seasons and just 22 wins since 2010.

What's the deal in Versailles?

I don't understand it. They used to have some pretty good teams. it seems like they went down hill after my Colonels beat them badly on Halloween night in 2008 Smile
Administration and who they have hired. Fire them!!
Time to move a different direction.
Has to be admin or coaching then. No dedication to the program. A county like that should have some talent. Especially not having to compete with other schools for it. Everything should be in place, at least enough to win a freaking game.
The coach was a better player than coach. Stonebraker didn't do much there either.
Are there any kids from Woodford Co. that are playing for LCA, Lexington Catholic, ?

I am not accusing anybody of anything, but culture can play a part. It would be better to take my son up the road to an established program than to have them play for a bottom dweller.

IF things could be turned around, I thought this coach would do it.
In addition to what has already been mentioned, Woodford Co is one of the richest counties, per capita, in Kentucky. In the top five, they're the only county that has just one high school.

1. Oldham - 3 High Schools (Oldham Co, North Oldham, South Oldham)
2. Boone - 4 High Schools (Boone Co, Ryle, Cooper, Conner)
3. Woodford - 1 High School (Woodford Co)
4. Fayette - 8 High Schools (Six city schools; LexCath, LCA)
5. Shelby - 2 High Schools (Shelby Co, Collins)

Woodford Co is the smallest of the five. But, a breakdown of the population divided by a school would look like this:

Fayette - 36,975 people per school
Boone - 29,702 people per school
Woodford - 24,939 people per school
Shelby - 21,037 people per school
Oldham- 20,105 people per school

Looking at the numbers, Woodford Co really compares to nearby Anderson Co. Both are 5A schools. Both have just one high school in the county. Woodford Co's median household income is $56,537, compared to Anderson Co's $55,506. However, they are nowhere near each other when it comes to record since 2010:

Woodford Co: 22-63; 25.8%
Anderson Co: 64-34; 65.3%

Really, there is no excuse for Woodford's lack of success on the football field.
Didn't they have 3 D1 OLinemen couple of years ago. I mean I know you want to run your "own" system but pretty sure they should have been able to get 3 or 4 yards per carry with those guys.
I am not familiar with the program but if it truly has the youth programs then it's culture/ disconnect from the youth to the high school level. Yes WC should be competitive within their district and on their schedule in general. If Woodford wants a program you have to be willing to go get a solid coach and let him do his thing even if it is a little bumpy in the beginning.

Montgomery County was mentioned. Same situation not to long ago. Solid youth program numbers. 60-80 kids playing in middle school. 30-40 kids playing high school. Head coach retires and they go get a proven coach from a similar area in Egli from Nelson County. A little bumpy in the beginning. This year they reached the regional finals with an 80 man roster now at the high school level.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I am not familiar with the program but if it truly has the youth programs then it's culture/ disconnect from the youth to the high school level. Yes WC should be competitive within their district and on their schedule in general. If Woodford wants a program you have to be willing to go get a solid coach and let him do his thing even if it is a little bumpy in the beginning.

Montgomery County was mentioned. Same situation not to long ago. Solid youth program numbers. 60-80 kids playing in middle school. 30-40 kids playing high school. Head coach retires and they go get a proven coach from a similar area in Egli from Nelson County. A little bumpy in the beginning. This year they reached the regional finals with an 80 man roster now at the high school level.

Elgi has done a fantastic job with Montgomery. I watched them once this year, and they were MOVING the ball with EASE. I have a few friends in Mt. Sterling. It was nice to see them doing well.
Administration, I could go into details, but I wont.
plantmanky Wrote:Administration, I could go into details, but I wont.

if you always do, what you always done, you will always get, what you always got.:igiveup:
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I am not familiar with the program but if it truly has the youth programs then it's culture/ disconnect from the youth to the high school level. Yes WC should be competitive within their district and on their schedule in general. If Woodford wants a program you have to be willing to go get a solid coach and let him do his thing even if it is a little bumpy in the beginning.

A lot of that success can be attributed to handing the man the keys and saying do your thing.
Isn't the AD also the Football coach?
Thrillex Wrote:Isn't the AD also the Football coach?

Yes sir that is right! Any other coach who goes 0-11 would be answering to the AD. I guess this guy answers to himself. C'mon man!
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Yes sir that is right! Any other coach who goes 0-11 would be answering to the AD. I guess this guy answers to himself. C'mon man!
Its kind of fun to say a quote like that, but HS AD in Kentucky public schools aren't who you answer to. Its the principal and superintendent.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Its kind of fun to say a quote like that, but HS AD in Kentucky public schools aren't who you answer to. Its the principal and superintendent.

From my experiences, the AD's report to the principal, and the principals take their information into account. I understand what you're saying, but AD's usually have quite a bit of say in the matter, at least at bigger schools.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:From my experiences, the AD's report to the principal, and the principals take their information into account. I understand what you're saying, but AD's usually have quite a bit of say in the matter, at least at bigger schools.
I would disagree. At a larger school the AD is the bridge between central office/principal and the coach of each sport so central office/principal do not deal with things that aren't a major concern. Think uniforms, boosters, who has what facility for practice, etc. Also they provide game coverage so most principals don't have to do that as often or at all in some places.

Now, every AD has a say in the hire.... if you count sitting in on the interviews as a say. But in the end, they have little to do with who is the head coach at each sport.