Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play of the night Sports Overtime 2pt or 3pt shot?
The play of the night on Sports Overtime last Friday (3-2-07) Magoffin vs Paintsville Finals of the 57th District tournament.
Clay Fletcher is behind the 3pt line and throws a pass which is deflected by J D Vanhoose who is standing about 10 feet from the basket. The ball goes into the basket.
The refs gave a 2 pt basket to the closest Hornet.
Can anyone give a explanation on this ruling?
Or could have Fletcher been awarded a 3 pt basket?
I think it goes to the closest offensive player around the basket.
What happens if a offensive player is setting a pick by the 3 pt line for his teammate, a defensive player gets through the pick, but is inside of the 3 pt line. The offensive player shoots the ball but the defensive player touches it as it's headed toward the basket. Is the player that shoots the ball awarded a 3 pter or his teammate that set the pick?
IDK...good question. I would assume it would be worth 3pts.
I am going to say only two points since the defensive player was standing inside the 3 point line when the ball hit him. Since it was clearly a pass I don't see how 3 points could have been awarded.
I thought he was saying if the defender was inside the three when he partially blocked it....you are probably right though.
If a offensive player shoots the ball from behind the 3 pt line, a defender that is standing inside of the 3 pt line touches the ball and it still goes in the basket. Is this a 3 pt basket?
What would be the difference in the play in the MC vs Paintsville game?
I know it may have been a pass, but my shot may look like a pass everytime I shoot the ball anyway.
The reason it was a 2 point basket was because Vanhoose was standing inside the 3 point line.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I was thinking it may have been a three when I saw it. But now that I think about it, it should have been a 2.
Batpuff Wrote:The reason it was a 2 point basket was because Vanhoose was standing inside the 3 point line.
And how is this so????
I am curious as to why it is a two instead of a three. If it is deflected by a defender standing inside the two point area and the ball continues it trek to the basket and goes in isn't that a three??????? Isn't that the same as a partial block; but just had enough momentum to make it to the basket? There was never a change of possession from the shooter to any other player, offensive or defensive?????
It was a deflected pass is what was said, therefore it wasnt a shot. It is the same thing that if you are standing outside the 3 point line, bounce the ball inside the line and if it goes in it is a two. Even thought the passer was outside the three line, it was a pass, if he would have gotten fouled, he wouldnt get three shots for it. Deflecting a 3 point shot still counts as a three pointer because if he got fouled, it would have been three free throws.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:It was a deflected pass is what was said, therefore it wasnt a shot. It is the same thing that if you are standing outside the 3 point line, bounce the ball inside the line and if it goes in it is a two. Even thought the passer was outside the three line, it was a pass, if he would have gotten fouled, he wouldnt get three shots for it. Deflecting a 3 point shot still counts as a three pointer because if he got fouled, it would have been three free throws.

Good answer, so part of it has to do with the ref's decision. Had the ball not been deflected and went straight in, it would have been a three. But since they determined that it was a pass, the closest player to the goal rule comes into play, which makes it a two.
So it's a decision by the ref to determine a pass or shot was attempted?
Another scenario, what happens at the end of the quarter when a player attempts a 3/4 court one handed throw with 4 seconds remaining. For some odd reason a defensive player goes up to knock it down, but the ball goes into the basket. Is the basket given to the closest offensive player around the basket or is it a 3 pt goal?
The one handed throw could be considered a throw or a long 3 pt attempt?

I know this sounds crazy, but so did that basket the other night. I would like to know the "official" ruling on this. Can't never tell it could determine the outcome of a game.
diamondthehacker Wrote:So it's a decision by the ref to determine a pass or shot was attempted?
Another scenario, what happens at the end of the quarter when a player attempts a 3/4 court one handed throw with 4 seconds remaining. For some odd reason a defensive player goes up to knock it down, but the ball goes into the basket. Is the basket given to the closest offensive player around the basket or is it a 3 pt goal?
The one handed throw could be considered a throw or a long 3 pt attempt?

I know this sounds crazy, but so did that basket the other night. I would like to know the "official" ruling on this. Can't never tell it could determine the outcome of a game.
this is what a ref told me about the shot VanHoose was stationary when he deflected it there for its a 2 if he was moving would have been a 3 I know this makes no sense to me either but thats what he said
I think the refs got it right because it was a pass and Vanhoose was inside the 3 point line but I'm not sure it was a strange play.
UKGIRL20 Wrote:I think the refs got it right because it was a pass and Vanhoose was inside the 3 point line but I'm not sure it was a strange play.

Yea I agree very rarely do you see a pass deflected in the goal. You see oops go in sometimes but hardly do you ever see a pass get deflected and go in. And speaking of that, they count that as a 3, a oop so why not count this as a 3? I mean it don't matter just bringing that up.
It goes to the post player
Don't see how it can go to the closest offensive player inside the 3 pt line.
So, I set a screen for my teammate on the offensive end who has the ball. The 6'8" defender slides through the screen, but is inside the 3 pt line. While stationery he reaches up (not jumping) when the offensive player goes to shoot a 3 pt shot. The defender is closer to me on the inside of the 3 pt line. The player with the ball shoots the 3 pter, but the defender gets his finger tips on the ball while stationery. The ball goes in the basket.
Is this a 3 pter or 2 pter?
Rule 5, Section 2, Article 1: "A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown." Since the ball was touched by a defender, it should have counted three points, whether it was a shot or pass.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:Rule 5, Section 2, Article 1: "A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown." Since the ball was touched by a defender, it should have counted three points, whether it was a shot or pass.

Dang it Johnny Webb should have known that! We wouldnt have had to go into overtime!
Tricky Wrote:Dang it Johnny Webb should have known that! We wouldnt have had to go into overtime!
Ok, another "what if" situation. If it had played like it was, the MC guy ouside the 3 line and it got knocked in and scored as a 2. IF PHS had Won by one point and got disputed later, knowing what we just learned by the rule above, what would happen then? Would they have to backup and re-award the win or would it stand as PHS winning? Just wondering.
Thanks Kentucky Fan
J.W. was still trying to explain it at the Region the other night contending it was a 2 pt basket.
Can't never tell, he may neeed to know it at the Sweet Sixteen.
I doubt they would change it. KHSAA normally stands strong behind the officials calls, even if they're wrong. They'd probably issue an apology, but that would probably be it.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
I'd say a sorry and that's about it.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:Rule 5, Section 2, Article 1: "A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown." Since the ball was touched by a defender, it should have counted three points, whether it was a shot or pass.
That is very grey if you ask me.
Define a successful try. The reason I say it is grey, is why not argue that every time a person is foulded while attempting a "try" "tap" or "thrown" ball, from anywhere behind the arc, that they should be awarded 3 FTs?
I personally think they are adrressing a situation such as a last second shot, where the player has only a tenth of a second and all you are allowed is what they consider a "tap", or when a player has to throw the ball a great distance, neither of which is considered a conventional shot. I don't know about now, but it used to be the rule that a player that taps a ball into the goal was only credited with shooting, if the ball went in. Taps were not counted as rebounds either. So if a kid was under the goal and kept tapping the ball up, say 3 times, befor it went in, then they were awarded, a basket and 1 shot attempt. zero rebounds. And if you were fouled while tapping the ball and it didn't go in, unless your team was in the bonus, you got the ball out of bounds.
It is not grey at all, anytime a foul occurs, an official has to determine whether it is a shot or a pass. To further clarify this, in the case book, Rule 5.2.1 Situation C: "A1 throws the ball from behind the three point line. The ball is legally touched by B1, who is in the two point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: Three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three point line."

And to answer StillAnMcFan's question, there is no appeal in high school play. Once the officials leave the floor, the game is official.
Thanks again Kentuckyfan1962.
Glad to hear a clarification on this play.