Simon Kenton (24-15) vs George Rogers Clark (23-9) 6/8 8:30 PM

Muhlenberg County (27-9) vs Rowan County (25-14) 6/8 1:30 PM

Hazard (30-8) vs Marion County (26-6) 6/8 11:00 AM

Boyle County (27-11) vs Knox Central (22-12-1) 6/8 6:00 PM

#2 McCracken Co (32-5) vs #1 Trinity (32-5-2) 5/9 11:00 AM

#4 Scott County (32-7-1) vs Caldwell County (26-9) 6/9 6:00 PM

Highlands (25-12) vs #8 Johnson Central (31-7-1) 6/9 8:30 PM

#5 PRP (36-5) vs #10 Franklin Simpson (31-5) 6/9 1:30 PM
Gonna be some good baseball played over those two weekends.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
The bottom bracket is absolutely brutal. #1 vs #2 in the first round, winner possibly gets to face #4. And Johnson Central has a tough first round game against a Highlands team this is very well coached and played in the state championship just a couple of years ago.

As for the top bracket I could definitely see Hazard making it to the State Championship as well. They got a very favorable draw and have as good a shot as anyone in the bracket.
Bottom bracket is loaded. Whoever can make it through that bracket will have had to play their absolute best to beat 3 quality opponents. Good luck to all the teams. Hoping for another good showing by the mountain teams this year.
The problem is the bottom half will have to use their best pitchers to make it. The top half is as weak as I've ever seen. JC definitely got screwed with this draw.
Johnson Central has a good chance of winning the first game and possibly more. They played this Highlands squad last year in the first round of state and won 6-2. Their pitching with Kelly, Meade, Ferral, and Patton they can be competive with anyone. I think getting timely hits is the key. All year long JC has used their speed to capatilze on errors and steal bases to manufacture several runs. However, against quality teams you aren't going to be able to count on several errors and stolen bases to get runs. I think JC has solid 4-5-6 hitters but they are going to need big weekends to drive in 1-2-3 (Geordan Blanton, Rice, and Davis).
Never seen a bracket come out that unbalanced. That bottom bracket is the most brutal I've ever seen.
Tough draw for JC, but they have the arms and the bats to have a puncher's chance against anyone. They went toe to toe with Scott County late in the season (0-0 tie in the 6th due to weather), got a couple college commits on the mound, and a fantastic leadoff man in Blanton (another D1 commit). Plus with this format, you only need two pitchers, since the Final Four is next weekend. The Eagles have beaten Highlands and Tates Creek before, they have experience and coaching. Nothing will be easy, but I'll take our chances. (Also wins over several top 10 teams this year. The schedule should have them more than prepared.)
I expect JC will go with Kelly in game one? I think Highlands will likely go with Drew Rom. Very solid lefty with a mid to upper 80's fastball and is a Michigan commit.
Who starts for JC is a very interesting question in my opinion. Obviously you have your ace Braxton Kelly who has been the go to pitcher all year long and rightfully so. He's 8-1 with 1 ERA in 70+ innings. He's been very successful against big teams as well (St. X, Lex Cath, Campbell Co.)

The other option is Tate Meade who pitched great as an 8th grader in the state tournament and pitched well in last years tournament too. However, he is coming off an injury where he didn't pitch for 6 weeks and has only pitched in a couple of games at the end of the year starting one. In his one start he was sharp through 4 innings but then you could tell he was getting tired in the 5th and gave up some hits and walks turning into 5 Paintsville runs. I think it is safe to say that he won't throw a complete game against a really tough opponent such as PRP or Franklin Simpson in the 2nd round (if JC advances). The bullpen is solid but I don't know if they can pitch extended innings if Tate struggles though.

I know some of you will disagree because if you don't throw your ace first game he may never get to throw but I would rather pitch Tate/the bullpen against a weaker Highlands team that they beat last year than against PRP/Franklin Simpson. What is everyone else's thoughts?
baseball1974 Wrote:The top half is as weak as I've ever seen.

GRC (23-9) is in the top half. The Cardinals defeated #4 Scott County 6-3 on the road on May 16.

GRC also defeated Sayre twice this season on April 10 and May 20. Sayre was the 11th Region's Runner-up to Scott County.
Mister D Wrote:Who starts for JC is a very interesting question in my opinion. Obviously you have your ace Braxton Kelly who has been the go to pitcher all year long and rightfully so. He's 8-1 with 1 ERA in 70+ innings. He's been very successful against big teams as well (St. X, Lex Cath, Campbell Co.)

The other option is Tate Meade who pitched great as an 8th grader in the state tournament and pitched well in last years tournament too. However, he is coming off an injury where he didn't pitch for 6 weeks and has only pitched in a couple of games at the end of the year starting one. In his one start he was sharp through 4 innings but then you could tell he was getting tired in the 5th and gave up some hits and walks turning into 5 Paintsville runs. I think it is safe to say that he won't throw a complete game against a really tough opponent such as PRP or Franklin Simpson in the 2nd round (if JC advances). The bullpen is solid but I don't know if they can pitch extended innings if Tate struggles though.

I know some of you will disagree because if you don't throw your ace first game he may never get to throw but I would rather pitch Tate/the bullpen against a weaker Highlands team that they beat last year than against PRP/Franklin Simpson. What is everyone else's thoughts?

To me you throw your best available. Everybody has different strategies, but I'm a fan of throwing your ace immediately if he is available in a tournament format. If he doesn't have his best stuff and you need to make a move, then make a change and just figure it out from there moving forward. It's definitely a plus though to have the arms to choose from that JC has. At this point in the postseason everybody has the pitching to compete, but not everyone has quality depth in their rotation.
There's going to be some fantastic 1st round match ups. Looking like small ball and speed will prevail based on the high level of pitching folks will see!

I'll be curious to see how much is left in the tank after the bottom bracket teams pound on each other?

I like Muhlenberg and Knox in the upper, Trinity and Highlands in the lower. That being said PRP will win it all... ; ) Looking forward to a great tourney. Safe travels and enjoy to those heading down. Will these games be watchable via live streaming and at what cost?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi