Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence improves to 19-8 with two wins
LC beat Raceland in a doubleheader last night 15-6 and 4-1 on the road. Here is the information I've gotten about the two games:

In game #1, LC pitched their 7th grade lefty for 6 innings and were up 15-3 going in to the 7th. Raceland plates 3 runs off LC reliever in top of the 7th.

In game #2, LC pitched their ace 9th grader for 6 innings. Only gave up a couple hits and had around 10 K's. LC was down 1-0 until the 5th inning when they tied it at 1-1 with a sacrifice fly. LC then strikes with a 3-run double to the fence with 2 outs in top of the 7th by catcher Roe. LC brings in reliever to close it out in the bottom of the 7th.

Heard umpiring in game one behind the plate was very good. In game #2, LC was called out on strike three with a ball that bounced in the dirt. :Shaking:
How do you see the region?
Eagle84 Wrote:How do you see the region?

Well, as the season has progressed my thoughts have changed. Before the year, they were:

1. JC

then WAAAYYYY down:

2. Pikeville
3. Prestonsburg
4. LC
5. Belfry/Magoffin/PCC

Now as the season has progressed, and how things have turned out for others (injuries, dismissals, etc.):

1. JC

2. LC/Pikeville
3. Prestonsburg
4. Magoffin

I've not watched but a few games, and those being Lawrence. I have kept up with online newspaper reports, twitter reports, and the KHSAA scoreboard with all the teams.

With that being said, it would take a monumental effort to knock off a fully loaded JC team. Prestonsburg is scary good, and it just looks like they haven't peaked yet (which could be bad....or could be good if you are a P-burg person). Pikeville was rolling, but have dropped several of their last few games. Magoffin hasn't played many games it appears (not sure what's up with that).

As for LC, a lot of adversity this year. Injuries and dismissals have taken place to very KEY players, but they keep winning. And they are winning with a 7th grader, 3 freshman, and two sophomores in the lineup everyday. Their junior 3B (now their SS due to injury) is carrying them from all reports. In fact, there was a write up in the Ashland newspaper about it just the other day. It's a very thin varsity roster, with a lot of inexperience on it....but again, they keep winning. I'm not sure any true LC baseball fan (or 15th region fan) would have predicted a 19-8 season thus far in 2017 after graduating one of the most successful senior classes in LC program history last year (2013 Semis, 2014 Finals, 2015 Champs, 2016 Finals).

With all that being said, again, it appears to be Johnson Central's to lose. But if the matchups work out, and LC is fortunate enough to get there (have to play Belfry in District Round 1), I would love to see either the LC 7th grader or 9th grader pitch against JC.......

Good luck!
^^^^^^ Pretty spot on assessment. 60th district is pretty weak overall.....with the exception of LC's consistent pitching efforts. PCC makes consistent contact....but their pitching is up and down. Belfry's pitching staff has been bitten by the lack of control bug. They may lead the state in walks allowed. Their bats are up and down. Good pitching has stymied them all season. In the 59th, Pikeville has some nice pitching...but IMO, their bats run very hot and cold. I don't see any of these teams....including LC really challenging Johnson Central. However......LC's young arms are very impressive...and given a break or two....one never knows